Can you really not leave Labadee? Vegetarian options?

We're not a beach/water sports type of family, and I'm really disappointed in RCCL's lack of options in port. We much prefer to experience local culture, music, food, etc. I have a friend who works in Haiti at a humanitarian agency, and he has offered to let us come volunteer with him for the day. We'd much rather do that, but I'm reading that guards won't let you out of the RCCL-leased area. Is this true?

Also, if we're forced to stay in the commercialized port, are there food options besides the BBQ? Our daughter is a vegetarian and a plate of fruit isn't going to cut it for her for the day. I know we can go back to the ship but it seems like a huge waste of time.

There is NO "local culture"...it's a PRIVATE BEACH....you cannot leave the fenced in beach area...nor can anyone not employeed by RCI come into Labadee. Yes...what you've heard is true. Haiti is not the port, even tho Labadee is in Haiti. Basically, it's a beach day. It's nice...enjoy it!

There are plenty of veggie options.. besides fruit, there are beans, potatoes, corn, salad fixings...bread....cookies..I'm not sure what vegetarians eat or expect...not meat...and you can eat whatever they have without the meat.

The ship may have more options, and it's only a walk on the dock back to the ship.

Edited by cb at sea

There is NO "local culture"...it's a PRIVATE BEACH....you cannot leave the fenced in beach area

Yes, I'm aware that Labadee is a private area. My intention was to find HAITIAN culture, not just "Labadee culture." Hence my desire to leave Labadee and spend the day with someone who lives in Haiti. It's sad that this isn't an option. Not everyone enjoys being waterlogged with 3500 of their closest "friends." Sounds like we'll just enjoy the ship that day.

there was an excursion 'outside the gate' into the village of Labadee for a time. I dunno if this is the same:

Labadee Haitian Cultural Tour at Paradise Cove and Beach Break: Discover the unrivaled natural beauty of Haiti and the complex culture of its people. Relax and sunbathe on idyllic beaches at Le Village in Paradise Cove, and visit a typical Haitian home to learn about the Haitian lifestyle. You'll have ample time to enjoy the scenic waterfront on the white sand beach and catch a glimpse of a local fisherman as he finds his catch of the day. Transfer back to ship via water taxi.

Highlights:

•Le Village at Paradise Cove: Discover "a day in the life" of typical Haitian villagers and their families.

•Haitian Culture: Get an overview of voodoo and see how local products are prepared for export through onsite exhibits.

Altho I KNOW this is still a sanitised view as I've been to Haiti many times both on my own and as work. Port Au Prince, Cap Haitien, Port de Paix, Gonaives .... have seen the voodoo show in Pap and visited the Barbancourt Rum factory in the mountains above. Delivered tons of relief supplies, helped paint a school and searched for survivors after a large ferry sank . . . in the late 70's we made "liberty calls" and in the 80's visited by cruise ship, in the 90's delivered supplies following the last US intervention .... curious place with a very interesting history .... find the book 'The Comedians' by Graham Greene or the 1967 movie with same title (Burton, Taylor ... and James E Jones)

also dunno where in the country your friend works but I have driven around this part of Haiti and you don't get far fast!!!! I actually drove - well I rode - from Cap Haitien to near Labadee and the roads were EXCITING to say the least. Not really roads as much as cart paths in places. 4wd most of the way.

If you really want to see Haiti and your friend, you can. There are regular flights to Port Au Prince. Our church sponsors an orphanage in PaP and groups go down regularly for support.

oh

I recall the bbq had some fish and veggie burgers too but they go fast

Edited by Capt_BJ

Thanks, CaptBJ. Your activities in Haiti are the types of things we'd love to do, rather than sit in the RCCL port. I did see an excursion like the one you mentioned, but it didn't get very good reviews, if I recall. We don't have a huge travel budget (saved for this cruise for 4 years) so flying to Haiti just to see an old college friend isn't very high on our list of places to go for vacation. I just thought it would be nice to spend the day together, since it's unlikely we'll ever go to Haiti on our own. Thanks a bunch for your ideas & suggestions.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...