Guided tours for Japan and Korea?

F02

I would like to see as much as possible of Japan and Korea (pre- and post-cruise). Knowing close to nothing about the two countries and having at most one week for each, I would like someone to take care of the visits.

Can you recommend any people or companies to show me the highlights of the two countries?

We always DIY its a wonderfully safe country and the people are just so kind in helping if you have a problem.

It takes many many many hours to plan but I also enjoy that challenge. If you are prepared to DIY then I would recommend using goodwill guides in the big cities, but I have the feeling you would prefer just to have a company do it all in which case try trip advisor as well as here.

Last year we had 10 days in Japan post cruise and this year are having 2 weeks after our cruise.

Thank you Tara Jane.

Unfortunately I do not feel like having enough time to plan the trip my-self and getting good results. In addition, I had excellent experiences with local travel agents in different parts of the world. But if that should not work out this time, I will have to try to do something on my own and there it is good to know that people are helpful.

It is true too, that I did not think of Trip Advisor, so I will try to find some information there too.

Thank you again.

Good luck hope you find something that works for you. Once you experience Japan you will be wanting to return even before you leave. I think I am up to about 9 or 10 visits to Japan, upcoming is 2nd cruise others all been land trips either individual holidays or en route to/from europe as an extended stop over.

Japan can be done very reasonably if you are prepared to work at it.

Go the easy way this time with a tour then you would have experienced the country and not be hesitant about DIY next time.

sayonara

Thank you Tara Jane. You just pointed to another important point: I figured that I would not get back, neither to Japan nor to Korea. Of course I could change my mind and you seem to be getting me there even before I set foot into that region. :)

We had great success for the land portion our Japan trip with tours booked through Viator. The tour company was JTB Sunrise out of Tokyo.

Check out my review for details:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=518503&et_cid=2531924&et_rid=17221689&et_referrer=Boards

thank you for the great review - how many people usually made up a group on JTB's tours?

thank you for the great review - how many people usually made up a group on JTB's tours?

The tours of Tokyo and day trips out of Tokyo were a bus of 30 or so people. The three day tour to Kyoto and Nara included tours from Kyoto and were also in busses and had about the same number.

The tours were well run and we never felt that we missed anything because of the number on the tours.

Thank you for your post and for the detailed review, Papa. I will check what JTB has to offer for the time I will have available. That looks like an easy start for me.