Dinner reservations needed - land tour

cookiersmom

Hi, We are going on a 7 day cruisetour, with dinner times in Fairbanks, Denali, Talkeetna, and Anchorage. I am wondering if we can just play it by ear or if we should make some dinner reservations, and if so, where?

If just playing by ear, also interested in restaurant suggestions.

Thanks!

I have only been to Anchorage from your list and I would make dinner reservations. Orso and Glacier Brewhouse are owned by the same people - Glacier Brewhouse was excellent and I know people like Orso.

http://www.orsoalaska.com

https://www.glacierbrewhouse.com

If you want to eat at dinner at either of these, I would make reservations. I ate at 3 or 4 and had no problems getting in at Glacier Brewhouse.

You may want to post what type of food you like. Some want to eat all the seafood they can while in Alaska and others say "give me a great pub with good food".

Would also be helpful if you provided your hotel names in Fairbanks and Anchorage. Since you are on a cruisetour it appears you won't have a rental car. Are you willing to pay for a taxi or do you want to walk from hotel to a restaurant?

We can taxi. We'll be at Sophie Station

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

cookiersmom:

The Sophie Station hotel has, at least in the past, offered a trolley type of shuttle which makes a loop route around Fairbanks. The Sophie Station is one of the Fountainhead Development properties, which is the company which also owns the Fairbanks Antique Auto Museum. This museum is well worth a visit, even for those not fascinated with vehicles and they (at least in the past) offer discounted admission to those staying in a Fountainhead owned hotel.

Zach's restaurant is the one in the Sophie Station. They alter their menu during the summer, but during the winter Zach's is a place where those of us women of a certain age meet for lunch. Their dinner menu will not be spectacular, but will be fine.

The Sophie Station is within easy walking distance to both a Carl's Jr. and Taco Bell. At the intersection of S. University Avenue and Airport Way you will find a strip mall which has a Brewster's (locally owned casual food with a liquor license) and a Subway.

Also within walking distance is Wolf Run. Ownership changed about two years ago and the present owners feature food with a Middle Eastern flair. The current owners (a married couple -- the husband is a radiation oncologist with Fairbanks Cancer Center) are of Middle Eastern heritage. This is one of my favorite restaurants, and reservations are a must even on week nights. Also has a nice wine list.

The Oasis is also near Wold Run. It is a sports bar with a somewhat rough reputation but reportedly has good food. We have never been inside.

Chena's Bar and Grill is also within walking distance. For years it had great food, but even though they have the same executive chef, the menus have changed. We were there twice last summer and were not impressed either time.

We will be staying one night in Anchorage and Fairbanks.

Staying at the Westmark in both cities.

I see Orso and the Brewhouse are very close to the Westmark Anchorage. Any suggestions for Fairbanks?

We like trying different foods and are on the adventuresome side, if that helps.

Edited by jlz62