US To Canadian exchange rate...

Or use a credit card for most transactions to avoid having too little or too much foreign currency at the end of your trip.

BTW.... Canada uses "Loonies" and "Toonies".

If you're willing to comparison shop - and maybe walk a little to a physical store if their rates are better - check what your own bank is offering against VCBE rates. They have a storefront in downtown.

Never exchange money at airports - rates always suck. Generally, ATMs offer the cheapest way to get $100 to a few hundred $ amounts as you pay your access fee whatever it might be per transaction, so a single large one equates to a minimal markup in fees over the central bank exchange rates.

If you are happy to use your credit cards, do as xlxo said - use credit as often as possible (assuming you don't have an awful Foreign Transaction Fee...) and break a US $20 for your first small purchase. You'll get a less-than-great exchange rate, but change will be in Canadian, but if it's only to buy those little things you cannot expect to use credit for like sodas or ice creams etc. you won't need very much cash.

If you are only going to be in Vancouver for a few hours, frankly I wouldn't bother getting any CAD as USD will be accepted almost anywhere in Vancouver. You will not get full advantage of the exchange rate but the effort of getting CAD may not be worthwhile. If you are going to spend a day or two in the city then I would suggest getting CAD from your bank. Before using your credit card I would recommend that you check with the card issuer about foreign exchange fees, from first hand experience I can tell you that they can be prohibitive.