Kauai - grocery shopping options in Koloa (Grand Hyatt and Koloa Landing)

mikeerdas

We have a split hotel stay between the Koloa Landing Resort and Grand Hyatt Kauai in Koloa. The villa at Koloa Landing has a full kitchen, so we thought we'd cook some meals. I know many would say to stop by the Costco near the Lihue airport on the way in but:

1) We're not Costco members (but suppose we could purchase a membership and get our money back later with their 1 year money back guarantee)

2) The Costco closes at 6pm on the Saturday we're arriving.

What grocery store options are there in Koloa? Seems weird to me, but I don't see a local ABC store. At resort areas on all of the islands I've stayed at, there's always been an ABC store nearby.

I'm assuming this is in the Poipu area? Google is a wonderful thing! A question posed there brought up links to information from the Trip Advisor Kauai Forum concerning grocery options. You can take a look yourself, but a good option seems to be the Big Save Market in Koloa at the Far East end. It was noted as well that there is a Star Market and Safeway in Kapaa if you are in the vicinity. Also noted was the fact that you are only about a 15 minute drive from Lihue during non rush hour traffic. You could probably just google "groceries in ....." any city and bring up a list. My apologies if this is not where you will be located.

Edited by punkincc

You are best off stopping at Safeway in Lihue before heading down to Koloa for the bulk of your groceries or you can shop at Wal-Mart. There is a Big Save in Koloa, but it is a funky local type grocery store. It has great baked goods and staples, but not great sandwich fixings, produce, fish or meats. You are only about 30 minutes from Lihue to Koloa, so you can always double back to Costco (make sure you go for the rum tastings at the distillery at the head of the road by Costco), ad the prepared salads, meals to cook, produce and meats are the best on the island.

There is a new Safeway in Lihue near Costco and there is also a Times Supermarket in Lihue near Costco. Big Save, a branch of Times Supermarket, is in Koloa Town. It is a full sized, but expensive relatively speaking. Locals call it "Big Spend". It is Sueoka Store that is the funky local one and it has been sold to ABC, but so far it is keeping its name.

There is also Living Foods in the Kukui'ula Center and there is a farmers market on Wednesdays in the center.

We shop at Costco and Safeway on the way to Poipu and then use the local options in Koloa to supplement as we need.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
There is a new Safeway in Lihue near Costco and there is also a Times Supermarket in Lihue near Costco. Big Save, a branch of Times Supermarket, is in Koloa Town. It is a full sized, but expensive relatively speaking. Locals call it "Big Spend". It is Sueoka Store that is the funky local one and it has been sold to ABC, but so far it is keeping its name.

There is also Living Foods in the Kukui'ula Center and there is a farmers market on Wednesdays in the center.

We shop at Costco and Safeway on the way to Poipu and then use the local options in Koloa to supplement as we need.

Ended-up just using the Big Save in Koloa Town. Good sized grocery store and worked out fine. Can't compare prices, but couldn't beat the convenience.