Dubrovnik Questions (merged)

Thank you for all of your advice. We feel much more confident now. Just one more question...the rate of exchange gbp/ Hrk seems to be falling here . Do you know what rate we would get in Dubrovnik please?

(I understand thus might change)!

Thank you for all of your advice. We feel much more confident now. Just one more question...the rate of exchange gbp/ Hrk seems to be falling here . Do you know what rate we would get in Dubrovnik please?

(I understand thus might change)!

The exchange rate changes daily and no I have no idea what it is today. I never change money here, so pay no attention to the rates. When I do have a question then I just check an online service for a rate.

http://www.xe.com/currencyconverter/convert/?Amount=1&From=HRK&To=GBP

Could anyone tell me what the weather is like in October please? Also, where is good for tea and cake in the Old Town?

Thank you. Melissa.

Melissa: Tea here consists of a tea bag and hot water in your cup. No proper English tea served, we are a country of coffee lovers. If you want to enjoy a wonderful local pastry then I suggest you find any of many bakeries around the old town. Sorry I cannot give you a specific recommendation as the rules of cruise critic forbid it.

This year has been very nice, hot but not like last year which was unbearable. Who knows what October will bring us this year, hope you are arriving in the first part of the month. Beginning mid October many restaurants and shops will begin to power down to shorter hours until 01 November when we go to winter hibernation.

Edited by Dubrovniktravelady

Thank you once again.

I think we might pick up the bus by the port (stop1). Is it easy to find?

Easy to locate, just on the main road in front of the main bus terminal. It is a small enclosure, usually with people standing there. You should stand near the curb and wave the driver down as they do not always stop automatically. Enjoy!

This year has been very nice, hot but not like last year which was unbearable. Who knows what October will bring us this year, hope you are arriving in the first part of the month. Beginning mid October many restaurants and shops will begin to power down to shorter hours until 01 November when we go to winter hibernation.

I won't be arriving till Nov. 20th so postpone the hibernation till a later date :) Seriously though, by arriving at some an "off" time will tour/shop hours be reduced? Thank you in advance

I won't be arriving till Nov. 20th so postpone the hibernation till a later date :) Seriously though, by arriving at some an "off" time will tour/shop hours be reduced? Thank you in advance

Many shops and restaurants close down for winter on 01 November and do not reopen until Easter the following year. You will still find some restaurants open, those with indoor space and a few shops. Our historical sites will be open from 0900 to 1600 daily and sunset happening about the same time. Normally November is our wettest month, but last year it was dry. The cable car may or may not be running, it is decided daily due to possible high winds. It is still a very nice time to visit, weather depending.

Interesting! I'll be coming October 10, so hopefully we'll make the in-season cut-off!

I'm taking the cable-car tour with an hour of free time in Old Town Dubrovnick on the tour with a few hours free post-tour. Are there things to do near the port if we traveled back down post-tour, or would it be easy enough to just stay and get back down on our own post-tour? Is it walkable (for those in good shape)? What are the must-see things to see/do/shop/eat there? Thanks!

Interesting! I'll be coming October 10, so hopefully we'll make the in-season cut-off!

I'm taking the cable-car tour with an hour of free time in Old Town Dubrovnick on the tour with a few hours free post-tour. Are there things to do near the port if we traveled back down post-tour, or would it be easy enough to just stay and get back down on our own post-tour? Is it walkable (for those in good shape)? What are the must-see things to see/do/shop/eat there? Thanks!

Our port area is just that, a port area is mostly businesses and not much of interest. Do stay in town and take a taxi or the ship shuttle back. The old part of town, located within the city walls, does have much to see and many more restaurants. You can walk back down to the Gruz harbor, but it is not very interesting and would take about 40 or so minutes. Take the bus or a taxi.

Hi Dubrovniktravelady

We will be docked in Dubrovnik (Gruz) next month on a Sunday 2:00-9:00 pm. We have been to Dubrovnik twice before and have walked the walls and taken the panorama tour of Mt. Srd.

This time we were thinking of a quiet day, shopping etc. in the Gruz area which is also lovely. Would Cavtat be a sensible option for this time of day on a Sunday? I was thinking local bus or taxi? Thanks for any info you can provide.

Hi Dubrovniktravelady

We will be docked in Dubrovnik (Gruz) next month on a Sunday 2:00-9:00 pm. We have been to Dubrovnik twice before and have walked the walls and taken the panorama tour of Mt. Srd.

This time we were thinking of a quiet day, shopping etc. in the Gruz area which is also lovely. Would Cavtat be a sensible option for this time of day on a Sunday? I was thinking local bus or taxi? Thanks for any info you can provide.

Sunday in the Gruz harbor area is not a good choice. We have just opened our first shopping mall in Srebreno just outside of Dubrovnik. It is on the road toward Cavtat and I personally would rather spend the day in our lovely waterfront town. Nothing in the Gruz can compare and the views are spectacular. I would take a taxi, cost is 250 Kuna one way or you can go to the main bus terminal and take Libertas #10, limited times on Sunday. Of course I vote for Cavtat, I live here!

Sunday in the Gruz harbor area is not a good choice. We have just opened our first shopping mall in Srebreno just outside of Dubrovnik. It is on the road toward Cavtat and I personally would rather spend the day in our lovely waterfront town. Nothing in the Gruz can compare and the views are spectacular. I would take a taxi, cost is 250 Kuna one way or you can go to the main bus terminal and take Libertas #10, limited times on Sunday. Of course I vote for Cavtat, I live here!

Cavtat it is then!:) Thanks a lot for your help.

A couple DIY logistic questions.

I'm planning to do Dubrovnik on my own; our ship is docked on Wed 10/19 from 1pm to 8pm. I'm thinking of using the local bus routes to and from Port Gruz, walking the City Walls, going up the cable car, and exploring the Old Town. I might order online the Dubrovnik Pass (154Kn) which would basically pay for itself just with the City Wall entrance fee and a couple bus rides.

Does this route sound ok?

- Bus from Port to Pile stop. Visit Fort St. Lawrence. I know that the Fort is included with the regular City wall fee, but is it included if you have the Dubrovnik Pass?

- Bus from Pile to Cable Car. What bus number for this route?

- Round trip Cable Car

- Enter City walls at Ploce Gate and walk all the way around.

- Enter old town and explore various sites to make way back to Pile Gate.

- Bus from Pile back to Port

I appreciate the feedback, thanks.

A couple DIY logistic questions.

I'm planning to do Dubrovnik on my own; our ship is docked on Wed 10/19 from 1pm to 8pm. I'm thinking of using the local bus routes to and from Port Gruz, walking the City Walls, going up the cable car, and exploring the Old Town. I might order online the Dubrovnik Pass (154Kn) which would basically pay for itself just with the City Wall entrance fee and a couple bus rides.

Does this route sound ok?

- Bus from Port to Pile stop. Visit Fort St. Lawrence. I know that the Fort is included with the regular City wall fee, but is it included if you have the Dubrovnik Pass?

- Bus from Pile to Cable Car. What bus number for this route?

- Round trip Cable Car

- Enter City walls at Ploce Gate and walk all the way around.

- Enter old town and explore various sites to make way back to Pile Gate.

- Bus from Pile back to Port

I appreciate the feedback, thanks.

Sounds like you have a plan which will work for you. However taking the bus from Pile to the cable car does not work. You can walk from the Ploce gate, which is our far eastern entrance, to the cable car. It is not a long and difficult stroll. If the Dubrovnik pass includes the wall,then of course Fort Lovrijenac is included. Enjoy your limited time here.

Sounds like you have a plan which will work for you. However taking the bus from Pile to the cable car does not work. You can walk from the Ploce gate, which is our far eastern entrance, to the cable car. It is not a long and difficult stroll. If the Dubrovnik pass includes the wall,then of course Fort Lovrijenac is included. Enjoy your limited time here.

Thanks for the feedback. Is there a bus route that goes from the port area to the cable car instead?

Hello to our resident expert:

We are arriving at the Dubrovnik port early this coming month and are renting an automobile for the day.

We are thinking of crossing into Montenegro and visiting Kotor, Budva and surrounding area. Do you have any suggestions for us on where else to visit that day? Thank you for your ideas (now and in the past).

Thanks for the feedback. Is there a bus route that goes from the port area to the cable car instead?

From the main bus terminal you can use Libertas #8, it will stop directly in front of the cable car. It continues down the road to an area we call Victoria and it will sit for 5-15 minutes depending on the schedule. Finally 2 more stops and you are at Ploce gate. Takes far longer, wastes too much time but it is the least expensive.

We are arriving at the Dubrovnik port early this coming month and are renting an automobile for the day.

We are thinking of crossing into Montenegro and visiting Kotor, Budva and surrounding area. Do you have any suggestions for us on where else to visit that day? Thank you for your ideas (now and in the past).

If you are coming off a ship, I do not recommend trying to visit Montenegro. There have been many times during the season when border crossing can take several hours...you will miss your ship. If your cruise is stopping in Dubrovnik, why not stay there or visit Cavtat, Konavle or the Peljesac peninsula. The only time it makes sense to visit all those towns across the border is when you are here for several days.

This is not a good idea. You don't have the time to do all of this.

As someone else suggested the border can sometimes have delays.

If you insist on crossing the border into Montenegro think about only visiting some of the places around bay of Kotor , such as Perast.

Kotor is possible and climb the walls.

But then that's it. Forget trying to do anything more...

Edited by gary222

If you are coming off a ship, I do not recommend trying to visit Montenegro. There have been many times during the season when border crossing can take several hours...you will miss your ship. If your cruise is stopping in Dubrovnik, why not stay there or visit Cavtat, Konavle or the Peljesac peninsula. The only time it makes sense to visit all those towns across the border is when you are here for several days.

We are actually staying overnight in Dubrovnik and we plan on touring the city the next day. Thanks for the suggestions re Cavtat, Konavle or the Peljesac peninsula.

Thanks for your advice Dubrovniktravellady

Just got back today! We took the Cabrio bus tour...they took us round one and a half times. Very good audio guide provided and photo stops. 60 kuna.

We got off at the old town and I climbed up and walked the walls. It was very hot and because I only had an hour, I didn't get all of the way round. I came down not long after the half way mark and walked back up through the Main Street. I met my friends by the fountain and refilled our water bottles.

Crossing the road by the Pile gate, it was easy to get a taxi back to port for €13 (set price).

I will definitely return one day!

Edited by lynneh

Thanks for your advice Dubrovniktravellady

Just got back today! We took the Cabrio bus tour...they took us round one and a half times. Very good audio guide provided and photo stops. 60 kuna.

We got off at the old town and I climbed up and walked the walls. It was very hot and because I only had an hour, I didn't get all of the way round. I came down not long after the half way mark and walked back up through the Main Street. I met my friends by the fountain and refilled our water bottles.

Crossing the road by the Pile gate, it was easy to get a taxi back to port for €13 (set price).

I will definitely return one day!

Thank you for posting your experiences, I seldom hear from anyone after they have visited my home. I love the Cabrio bus and make sure that I enjoy it at least once every season. The wall has become far too difficult for me and I much prefer the view from the top of Mt Srd, so now I enjoy the cable car. A short 4 minute ride up to the top and a glass of our Dalmatian wine, life cannot get any better. Do come back, try to avoid high season and may I suggest late September until mid October as the best time. Look forward to having a coffee with you next year.

Thank you for posting your experiences, I seldom hear from anyone after they have visited my home. I love the Cabrio bus and make sure that I enjoy it at least once every season. The wall has become far too difficult for me and I much prefer the view from the top of Mt Srd, so now I enjoy the cable car. A short 4 minute ride up to the top and a glass of our Dalmatian wine, life cannot get any better. Do come back, try to avoid high season and may I suggest late September until mid October as the best time. Look forward to having a coffee with you next year.

That's very kind of you and something I shall look forward to.

I didn't have time to ride on the cable car and expect the view is stunning at the top!