Amazon: NBC-TV/Brokaw Video Profile

TLCOhio

With the Rio Olympics 2016 wrapping up today, I wanted to share an amazing video that done by the American NBC-TV network as a part of their coverage. It was done by their long-time and now retired anchor Tom Brokaw. He profiles in this segment the Amazon River's standing in both the world ecosystem and for Brazilian culture. It is titled: "The Amazon: Lungs of the earth, heart of Brazilian culture" There is some great video, background and insights within this five-minute-plus segment. It is well worth watching if you are consider visiting the Amazon and/or to bring back nice memories from an earlier trip there. We loved both the Amazon and this video segment by NBC and Brokaw.

Brokaw notes the massive size of the Amazon and how it would fit over the size of the entire continental United States. That's large!! He noted that nearly one-fifth of all fresh water in the world is here in the Amazon basis and that its total water volume is ten-times the size of the Mississippi River. Big, BIG, again!!

Their "production values" for this segment were excellent. This included a number of helicopter shots over the Opera House, the waterways, etc. This is not just a voice-over with some still pictures. It is well-done, edited and prepared. Lots of on-site video that we experienced, including walking through the Manaus Municipal Market that is show extensively in this video.

Check NBC-TV Amazon River/Manaus link at:

http://www.nbcolympics.com/video/amazon-lungs-earth-heart-brazilian-culture

On my live/blog below, you can many more visuals and details regarding this amazing Amazon River region.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean combo sailing over 26 days that started in Barbados, here is the link below to that live/blog. Lots of great visuals from this amazing Brazil river and these various Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, etc.) that we experienced. Check it out at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 41,251 views for these postings.

From the NBC-TV video, here are some photo samples that reflect much of what both Tom Brokaw saw, plus that we experienced for exploring in and around Manaus, in the rainforest, at the Municipal Market, etc. Great visuals were shared in this network segment that aired during their national Olympic coverage.:

July2016Pis13_zps5wm4u8fb.jpg

July2016Pis14_zps0qq16kqa.jpg

July2016Pis15_zps39b0s5h2.jpg

July2016Pis16_zps8sooamep.jpg

July2016Pis17_zpskb1a0rqw.jpg

July2016Pis18_zpsq0oeva1d.jpg

Thanks Terry. I caught several segments in the Amazon during the Olympics, however I missed this one! I really enjoyed watching this! We are really looking forward to our trip next year on Viking Oceans to the Amazon.....and I might just have to add the restaurant on our list of things to do in and around Manaus. :)

Thanks Terry. I caught several segments in the Amazon during the Olympics, however I missed this one! I really enjoyed watching this! We are really looking forward to our trip next year on Viking Oceans to the Amazon.....and I might just have to add the restaurant on our list of things to do in and around Manaus.

Appreciate this nice follow-up and nice comments above. Yes, that dining place featured does sound good and interesting. Let us know as to how your upcoming "adventure" works out. Happy to answer any added questions before your journey.

Because the NBC-TV Olympics segment that featured and was narrated by their former anchor Tom Brokaw had so much in great, wonderful visuals, I thought I would share a few more samples here. Like this added "eye-candy"?? This segment was really excellent with its details and visuals, plus the wonderful "production values" for how it was shot and put together.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 202,301 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Here are more visual samples from this NBC-TV Olympics program. This includes for showing scenic sunrise/sunset views, Tom Brokaw in more remote backwater areas such as what we explored, the unique mixing of black and brown waters on the Amazon from a great air angle, in Manaus with the boats docked and Brokaw at the Municipal Market and finally an example of the waterside cliffs like we observed during our sailing. :

July2016Pis24_zpstl8nsrwl.jpg

July2016Pis22_zpsz2wviao1.jpg

July2016Pis19_zpstpxdt16u.jpg

July2016Pis20_zpskpe0vcm9.jpg

July2016Pis23_zpsfchxr64b.jpg

July2016Pis21_zpszqvvvpmg.jpg

Thanks for posting this, Terry. I'm going to share it with our roll call for this year's Prinsendam Amazon Explorer.

Great idea!! Also, feel free to share the link to my live/blog with all of the pictures and other details on it. Am happy to answer any added questions and info needs. Just have them post on my live/blog and I will follow-up accordingly.

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean combo sailing over 26 days that started in Barbados, here is the link below to that live/blog. Lots of great visuals from this amazing Brazil river and these various Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, etc.) that we experienced. Check it out at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 42,055 views for these postings.