Looking for Port tips!

vgosse

I'm going on a NCL cruise in the fall with a group of girls, and we're looking to save some money in port by looking at different options from the cruise offered excursions. I was wondering what ports are good for exploring on your own; which ones offer good private excursions; and which ones I should book excursions through the cruise line. We're hoping to see most of the main attractions at each port, enjoy hiking,adventure, exploring, history, cafes. We're not really interested in shopping.

Our ports are:

Naples, Italy

Rome (Civitavecchia), Italy

Florence/Pisa (Livorno), Italy

Cannes, France

Provence (Marseille), France

Any tips at all would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much :)

• 1 month later...

Our ports are the exact same! We embark Norwegian Epic from Barcelona on September 25th! We've gone with one half day NCL tour from Marseilles but other than that were just going to make our own way to Pompeii and get off ourselves at Cannes and chill for the rest of the time on the ship! Its been a busy year!!!

I've heard loads of people talk about Rome in Limo for shore excursions! You should go to your roll call and see if there's any groups organised that you could join!

If you book 3 tours with a lot of the tour companies, you get a break.

I use italytoursharing.com and they are awesome. You can also go to the main cities on the train but takes a lot more research but saves you money that is for sure.

Naples, i do highly recommend taking a tour along the Amalfi Coast. It is always my highlight and with a bunch of gals, I am sure you will have a blast. Also, with a bunch of gals, try to do a tour in Livorno to Chianti region. I just got back and had a fantastic tour with italytoursharing to Florence, Pisa and Chianti. It included a good amount of wine, lol.. and lunch.

Marseille, I just walked around. Found the old town and had lunch. IT was gorgeous.

Im sorry I can't help with Cannes. I have not been there yet.. hmmm.. have to get on that hahah... Have a great trip!!

My husband and I did those same ports except Provence earlier this month on the Disney Magic. We didn't book any excursions with the cruise line because we prefer exploring on our own. You end up seeing less when you're with a big group. Here's what we did:

Naples- I splurged on a private guide and driver because seeing Pompeii and the archaeological museum was extremely important to me. We were driven in a large van so with a group it would be more more affordable.

Rome- We took the train into the Trastevere station and walked all over the city starting from Campo di Fiore. We walked all over and saw lots of sights like the Pantheon and Trevi Fountain.

Livorno- We skipped Pisa and Florence and spent time in Lucca, a charming city where we walked the old city walls. We used the train to get there.

Cannes- We took the train to Nice and checked out the flower market and other sites in the old town. We finished with an afternoon on the beach.

Can't speak to Cannes or Provence as we haven't been there, but there are plenty of good private excursions you can do in the other ports. Check out Rome Cabs and their sister company, Stefano Rome Tours for private tours in Rome. We've used them several times. I believe they do other ports, too. If you want to join in some small group tours, we've used Angel Tours a few times, as well. It's certainly easy to take a train to Rome, but for a first time, I think a guide or some kind of tour is a good idea as there's so much to see and a guide will be able to describe the significance.

For a REALLY fun day out of Livorno, consider a wine tour. Look at Guido-tours.com. We've done a couple tours with him in the Chianti area of Tuscany - he picks you up at the port. He's a great guy, and his wine knowledge is incredible. We already have a day booked with him for next year.

For Naples, the Amalfi Coast is amazing. There are lots of good options for drivers/guides, etc. in that area as well. Taking the ferry to Sorrento is also an easy option.