Bangkok itinerary

MarciAnn

Our ship docks in Laem Chebang for the Bangkok port on our itinerary in January. We will be there from 8am to 6 pm. I know that Laem Chebang is about 1.5 hours from Bangkok. Can anyone suggest a diversified itinerary that is not all temples and palaces? Must sees would be great.

Any suggestions on a private guide and minivan driver would be greatly appreciated.

Can't help with suggestions for tour or transfer operators, other than to say do check out independent reviews and do pre-book.

Not sure why seat61 was suggested :confused: - there's no rail link between Laem Chabang and Bangkok. Nor are there useable buses.

You need a pre-booked private transfer or ship's over-priced transfer bus. Don't rely on taxis available on-spec at the port cos they're run by a cartel and those who have no choice cos they didn't organise something in advance will be ripped-off royally with fares up to double the cost of a pre-booked tour or transfer. The cartel has no control over pre-booked transport.

As to itinerary........

The Grand Palace and Wat Arun are kinda compulsory ;)

That takes care of temples & palaces.:)

Sights in the city are mainly too far apart to be walkable.

Use the river - lots of sights on the river and the ferries are cheap & fun, and for travel between riverside locations (eg Wat Arun and Grand Palace) can be quicker than by road or Skytrain.

Skytrain is a modern & efficient mass-transit, but not extensive so routes are limited.

By road, tuk-tuks are quicker than taxis & a lot of fun - but you do need a few hints. Before you board agree the destination & barter the price, making it clear that you want to go direct & not via his uncle's carpet shop or his second-cousin's jewellery workshop. Check the internet or post again for more hints about using tuk-tuks.

Hire a long-tail boat & driver at River City pier for an hour or so riding through the klongs (canals) - some very up-market properties there but also many many shacks and businesses, kids playing in the canal etc, a very interesting and varied trip.

Or there are tours from River City pier (& probably elsewhere) which combine a shared long-tail boat round the klongs with a leisurely float back down the river on a converted rice barge.

The Chinese quarter isn't a million miles from the Grand Palace, an eclectic mix & not touristy.

Patpong is the centre for nightlife - but better for a wander in daytime if seedy stuff isn't your scene. Its, errrrr ........... "interesting"

Forget trips to the floating market or River Kwai railway or Ayutthaya, they won't suit your limited time.

Yes, 1,5 hrs is the minimum transfer time. But allow at least 2.5 hrs for the return journey because the city traffic is frequently gridlocked (another reason for using the river or Skytrain or tuk-tuks in the city)

JB :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hallo, today I need a Little help :)

Have been quiet a few times to Bangkok,(seen all palaces, etc) but now this time we will have 3 days left and I would like to organize something diferent.

Dont mind to take a guide, maybe would be good to see the floating market which is about 80km far way, and the market which is on top of the rails from the train.

What would you sugest???

any guide? for Bangkok, Kuala Lumpur, Landkawi, Penang, Phuket

As to itinerary........

The Grand Palace and Wat Arun are kinda compulsory ;) That takes care of temples & palaces.:) Sights in the city are mainly too far apart to be walkable.

Use the river - lots of sights on the river and the ferries are cheap & fun, and for travel between riverside locations (eg Wat Arun and Grand Palace) can be quicker than by road or Skytrain. Skytrain is a modern & efficient mass-transit, but not extensive so routes are limited. By road, tuk-tuks are quicker than taxis & a lot of fun - but you do need a few hints. Before you board agree the destination & barter the price, making it clear that you want to go direct & not via his uncle's carpet shop or his second-cousin's jewellery workshop. Hire a long-tail boat & driver at River City pier for an hour or so riding through the klongs (canals) - some very up-market properties there but also many many shacks and businesses, kids playing in the canal etc, a very interesting and varied trip. Or there are tours from River City pier which combine a shared long-tail boat round the klongs with a leisurely float back down the river on a converted rice barge. The Chinese quarter isn't a million miles from the Grand Palace, an eclectic mix & not touristy. Patpong is the centre for nightlife - but better for a wander in daytime if seedy stuff isn't your scene. Its, errrrr ........... "interesting" Forget trips to the floating market or River Kwai railway or Ayutthaya, they won't suit your limited time. JB :)

Appreciate so much these excellent notes for Bangkok. We are researching and preparing for an early 2018 first trip to SE Asia with Bangkok being one of our key stops These ideas are very helpful and I am copying these and saving them to my laptop computer trip file. Yesterday we had lunch with a friend who has been to Bangkok twice and has a son stationed there at the U.S. Embassy. Lots of great insights and inputs being received!!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 159,400 views for this posting.

We will be in Bangkok for an overnight on January 1st. We have arranged a private tour with BKK Tours, who is picking us up, taking us to all the sights (skipping the Grand Palace that day as they said it will be crazy due to being New Year's Day, but they're adding in Chinatown). They are dropping us at our hotel where we will spend the night in the city.

We anticipate going to a night market that night, then going to the Grand Palace on our own the next morning. Later that afternoon, our tour company is picking us up at our hotel for the return to the ship.

I don't know when in January you're going, but if it's after our visit, I will definitely provide feedback after the tour. Meanwhile, I will tell you that they've been very helpful and responsive so fa, in making these arrangements!

Our ship docks in Laem Chebang for the Bangkok port on our itinerary in January. We will be there from 8am to 6 pm. I know that Laem Chebang is about 1.5 hours from Bangkok. Can anyone suggest a diversified itinerary that is not all temples and palaces? Must sees would be great.

Any suggestions on a private guide and minivan driver would be greatly appreciated.

I am using an agency for the 3rd year and Ngoan, the owner will be able to help you with Bangkok, her agency is out of Vietnam, but does tours for Laos, Cambodia, VN, Thailand,

Her email is - ngoan.le@travelauthenticasia.com

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g293924-d5600178-Reviews-Travel_Authentic_Asia_Private_Day_Tours-Hanoi.html

If you need any more info, you could email me at kwarcins@gmail.com

Rita k.

We will be in Bangkok for an overnight on January 1st. We have arranged a private tour with BKK Tours, who is picking us up, taking us to all the sights (skipping the Grand Palace that day as they said it will be crazy due to being New Year's Day, but they're adding in Chinatown). They are dropping us at our hotel where we will spend the night in the city.

We anticipate going to a night market that night, then going to the Grand Palace on our own the next morning. Later that afternoon, our tour company is picking us up at our hotel for the return to the ship.

I don't know when in January you're going, but if it's after our visit, I will definitely provide feedback after the tour. Meanwhile, I will tell you that they've been very helpful and responsive so fa, in making these arrangements!

Are you on the Star? We are also and are doing a private tour with bkk also

On our first trip to Bangkok, and to Thailand, we took a look at Richard Barrow's website, richardbarrow.com.

The site give us insights about what to see and how to see it. When we first went there was a little civil unrest. His website provided accurate information. We booked a flight and landed ten days later. His information and advice was spot on.

Enjoy Thailand. We liked it so much we returned in each of the following two years.

• 3 weeks later...
Hallo, today I need a Little help :)

Have been quiet a few times to Bangkok,(seen all palaces, etc) but now this time we will have 3 days left and I would like to organize something diferent.

Dont mind to take a guide, maybe would be good to see the floating market which is about 80km far way, and the market which is on top of the rails from the train.

What would you sugest???

any guide? for Bangkok, Kuala Lumpur, Landkawi, Penang, Phuket

I suggest a visit to Ayutthaya and Bang Pa inn - day trip - brilliant alternative if you've done the sights of Bangkok

Also floating market is good but get a guide that takes you there ahead of the crowds

Finally a trip to River Kwai and riding a part of that iconic railway line. Plus a trip to the Jeath War Museum

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We just returned last weekend from the Millennium, 2 week Asia Immersion Cruise. Were over night in Laem Chabang port and stayed over night in Bangkok, 2 day tour set up. I would figure closer to 2 hours each way into Bangkok with the traffic which is VERY heavy at times, almost unbelievable and we're from Los Angeles. Also figure 3 hours to get back to the ship, too make sure you make it in time. Usually need to be back to the ship one hour prior to ship leaving. This being said, you'll have only about 4 to 5 hours of time in Bangkok. Best to have a guide and transport set up, do the Grand Palace, Royal Temple, Reclining Buddha and maybe a long tail boat ride, these are the MUST see's in my opinion. Check with your tour company for what makes the most sense with your limited time. We used a very good tour company and had a great guide and driver. Web Site: http://www.thaitourguide.com. Our tour guide Ms. Pookie was one of the best we used during our 3 weeks in Asia. The company is also highly rated on Tripadvisor and rightly so. This is just my opinion and nothing is guaranteed as far as the traffic. Just be careful about timing, due to traffic in Bangkok. Ride in is easy until you hit the city limits, then it gets very heavy within the city itself. On the first night the tour company was taking us to the hotel, which they said was about 10 minutes away, without traffic, it took us over an hour to go the few miles at about 6:00pm with the heavy traffic. Just be careful.

Capt. Ron