Pacific Jewel Drinks Package Advice?

Hiya

I've been lurking for a week or so since my FIRST CRUISE was booked (can you tell I'm excited?) and have read many, many different threads on the drink package debate.

But I would like some clarification please.

We are traveling on the Pacific Jewel in November on a 9 day cruise.

We bought a pretty good deal but are pretty set on having a budget. Between the 2 of us we quite like our beverages, especially wine.

If I buy a drinks package, I understand that's just for me. I'm cool with that. But buying bottles of wine? I have read alternate options about paying a percentage? What is the percentage that I have to pay if I buy a drink package? Or miraculously are bottles included in the Jewel package?

But can I buy a bottle rather than glass after glass whilst I am sitting and reading? Chilling in the Oasis with an ice bucket sounds like bliss to me.

And if I choose to, take it back to my room?

What IS the policy? Because the cruise control is pretty much **lean** on details.

I will be drinking throughout the trip and doing a few of the parties so I know it can add up. I can quite easily stick to a budget if I need to but feel I can just not worry about the end result if I buy the package.

Advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Scott

Bump it till I get some response?

Is that legal here? Am I going to get in BiG tRuB?

I suggest since none of us can answer you best to ask P&O direct. pocruises.com.au - I needed information about having a fridge on Pacific Eden for medication and they were really quick to respond and assure me they would organise. Pacific Eden do not have fridges in every cabin.

Do not board thinking you are going to 'take advantage' of a free unlimited intake...we went to PNG for an 11 night cruise with FDP...'Bev' on the SeaCard...Bar service was dismal...we met in the Orient every night at 5.00pm when it opened....One night we waited 16 minutes to be asked for our order...don't think you can duck off to another bar grab a drink and come back...they have that covered...All Bar staff serve the 1-2 waiters that are allocated to the area (bar), and they ignore you standing at the bar to fulfil the orders from the waiters, do you know how long it takes to make 4 different cocktails???

There is a trained and practiced technique that the bar people use that pre- empts the filling of a half nip that never sees the alcohol reaching the top of the nip dispenser...

Did I have a good cruise with a drinks package...yes, but 15 drinks and staying sober was acceptable...maybe not for you.

Thanks Kate... I am new to these boards so haven't figured out response rate as yet.

Calling P&O was next on my list... I appreciate the feedback especcially on timing...

And also thanks RGN... It wasn't a thought of "taking advantage".. more so what is the best spend of the money. Thanks for replying. Hope service improves... May have to make best friends with the bar staff :-)

After the PNG cruise in August we did a cruise on Pacific Pearl in September, no drinks package, after the Jewel experience, we knew a bit more about their system...if you buy a bottle of wine at dinner they will not keep it for your next meal, you have to take it with you, the cabin attendant will get you glasses and a bucket of ice on request, you can cart that or a new bottle purchased at the buffet, or anywhere else around the ship and enjoy it at your leisure where ever. Bottles of wine start at $27-$650

Something not to skimp on is Salt Grill by Luke Mangan...lunch is $39, cheaper than Dinner at $49, allow 2.5 hours to get the most out of your sitting...we booked 11.30, we finished abit after 2pm...yum yum, 1 bottle of $33 Red complimented our steaks nicely. If you like licorice, there is a dessert to die for.:)

Edited by retyredgreynomad

We purchased drinks package on the Eden and had no trouble with service. I like a proper coffee and as they are included in price I felt I got my money's worth over all and my other half most certainly did. I liked that there were no surprises with the bill which can very easily happen, I knew straight up what our drinks bill would be. I also got to try out some different cocktails which I wouldn't have done if I was paying for each drink.

I think I remember correctly that you couldn't get a bottle of wine on the package you had to get by the glass but that was not unreasonable although I would suggest getting a glass and taking it with you to dinner as getting drinks service in the MDR was a bit harder than the bars. I don't remember it being that slow on the Jewel when we went on that one though so maybe that was teething problems with Eden as we were on one of the first cruises last year.