How close to accessible is the duck tour in Ketchikan?

mamasylvia

It isn't flagged for wheelchairs on the NCL shore excursions page but my wheelchair-bound SIL is interested. Has anyone been on it? How much is involved that would have to be done out of the wheelchair? She might be able to manage 1-2 small steps if there is a strong railing or handgrip, but not steep steps or a walk of more than a couple of steps.

I did call them and ask, but I value input from fellow travellers more - there is no way of getting a rep who has actually been there. It does sound like it ain't gonna happen, those steps aren't something either of us can handle. Oh well, I tried.

Edited by mamasylvia

It isn't flagged for wheelchairs on the NCL shore excursions page but my wheelchair-bound SIL is interested. Has anyone been on it? How much is involved that would have to be done out of the wheelchair? She might be able to manage 1-2 small steps if there is a strong railing or handgrip, but not steep steps or a walk of more than a couple of steps.

This tour is definitely not suitable for your SIL based on the information you posted. Was just in Ketchikan 5 weeks ago. I'm far more ambulatory than your SIL and I wouldn't even attempt this nor do I think the tour manager would have permitted me to try due to liability and safety issues.

The vehicle is NOT wheelchair accessible It's not exactly conventional steps it a boarding ladder with 9 steps, each being 6" high, the angle of the steps is steep but it does have hand rails.

Check out the Ketchikan Duck Tour website https://akduck.com/activities/duck-tours/ not only would you read the information I just posted and you can see a photo of the boarding ladder.

Edited by xxoocruiser

Thanks. I looked at 2 duck tour websites but neither had a picture of the ladder. I knew it was probably not going to work out when it wasn't flagged wheelchair accessible but figured it was worth looking into just in case there was some minor issue we could work around.

Not only are the ducks I've seen barely accessible to the fully capable, but the boat/truck itself is inherently unsafe and I don't recommend these tours to anyone. Boston just had an incident where the duck ran over a motorscooter at an intersection because of poor visibility, and several ducks have capsized or sunk over the last couple of years.

And given the task the Duck vehicles perform (water and land) maintenance is critical. The Seattle crash last year while a combination of factors (like crowded road being used) had a root cause in a defective axle on a refurbished vehicle. Not that there are not some decent safety conscious operators but there are some inherent complexities and opportunities for shortcuts to be taken.

That said we take the cruiseline guides for accessibility or "strenuousness" of tours with a grain of salt. They tend to error on the side of overplaying the physical requirements. Every situation is unique.

Some details in the story about a lawsuit filed over the accident:

http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/transportation/another-lawsuit-filed-over-last-years-deadly-ride-the-ducks-crash/

b242b1b55e284c9fb12bd3c527c1ac61-1020x508.jpg

> That said we take the cruiseline guides for accessibility or "strenuousness" of tours with a grain of salt.

That's why I started this thread. There is no "one size fits all" for accessibility. What is an insurmountable obstacle to me could be a minor blip to another somewhat-handicapped person, and vice versa. It's very useful to hear from someone who has been there and can describe what the difficulty might be. Actually, every reader can apply that information to their own situations.

I went to this section of cruise critic because I have a question myself, but came across your post. My husband had a stroke and needs an electric scooter on cruises. I signed up for this shore excursion not knowing exactly what to expect. Had I known, I wouldn't have booked it but it turned out great so my advice is, it's very doable. I worried for nothing. He climbed up the ladder into the "duck" with help from personnel staff and he only has use of one leg and one arm/hand. Coming down I was worried but there were lots of cruise personnel to help on the way down as well. Go for it. It was a very fun excursion and if my husband can do it, anyone can!

Edited by sailaway1001

Thanks for sharing your experience. Unfortunately, the ladder is an insurmountable obstacle to me as well as my SIL, even with help. However, we decided to take the (more accessible to us) Misty Fjords tour instead, which sounds gorgeous, so we should have a great time. (Actually, I think it's pretty hard to miss a great time in Alaska, from everything I've read here!)

Did you get an answer to your own question? There is such a wealth of information here!