Fly over or Cruise over?

Floridastorm

Have done both 3 to 4 times each.

I definitely prefer the 15 day over and back BUT that is because I have done the other, first.

I love having 2 days in Maui one for the Road to Hana with Valley Isle Excursions and the other just to rent a car and choose what I'd like to see for that trip.

As the Big Island is one of my favorite islands, I always feel like I want a day in Kona, if for no other reason than to drive north and then over to gaze at my very favorite vista in the world the Waipo Valley overlook. So much to do on the Hilo side. Need a day there, too.

Until recently Kauai was my favorite and still remains high on my list. Pride of America spends the best part of 2 days there and many of the other cruises do not even go there. Sights to see, gardens to tour... Just a beautiful place to exist in.

Oahu is probably my least favorite island but it is still beautiful and Pearl Harbor, the North Shore, Diamond Head & Waikiki should be on most peoples' bucket list.

I have gone with two other first timers and I always recommend the 7 day cruise around the islands as the first way to go. Nearly always spend 3 or 4 days before the cruise in Waikiki (am lucky enough to be able to enjoy the Hale Koa and it's Luau).. and sometime spend 2 or 3 days after there as well. I always do the Aloha stadium swap meet for souvenirs.

So my recommendation is to do both... you will want to come back! and most people make that happen....

My tip is to do your research on this and other sites, rent a car on all islands except perhaps Oahu and drive yourself... Renting cars is easy and so is driving.... You can create your own timetable and not have to wait for 50 other people to get on and off a bus! I, and many others of cruise critic will be more than happy to answer your questions. This website is worth its weight in GOLD. I'm getting ready to go back with a newly retired girlfriend (her virgin trip) in January.... Top of the evening to you!

elsie3939 -

Thanks for the great info! We've only done the fly and stay Hawaii trip and will be doing this 15-day as our first cruise.

Our DS abd DDIL - and first grandchild! - live in the Bay area so cruising out of SFO is another reason. Plus we just love sea days - to us the best part of cruising is the cruise...[emoji2]

Do you know of any "VIP" way to see PH? Since we've seen all the other islands before we don't need to do tons of excursions on this cruise and thus are willing to "overspend" on PH for a great, more personalized, non-busload experience.

Thanks!

elsie3939 -

Thanks for the great info! We've only done the fly and stay Hawaii trip and will be doing this 15-day as our first cruise.

Do you know of any "VIP" way to see PH? Since we've seen all the other islands before we don't need to do tons of excursions on this cruise and thus are willing to "overspend" on PH for a great, more personalized, non-busload experience. Thanks!

I just returned from a Med cruise taking my 11 year old granddaughter and, for Rome, I used Tours by Locals (Very expensive but worth every penny) I had read on cruise critic about their wonderful tours and their attention to personalizing a trip for YOU and I certainly found that to be true. So, based on my experience and review by others, I just googled "Tours by Locals Oahu." There are 4 or five guides that sound really good... so good that I am tempted to hire one of them for a day when I go with my friend in January. Costly, but it would be the answer to many of the scheduling and driving problems that I have been wrestling with.

In the past, I used a rental car to get to Pearl Harbor, gone on THE BUS, and used Robert's Touring Service. Robert's was the easiest but it took forever to go around and pick up and drop off passengers. Tours by locals would solve the problem of seeing Pearl Harbor and the North Shore in one day.

Check out the site and each of the guides and their reviews. Perhaps you could get one other couple to go in with you...most said they'd take up to 4 people. Hope this helps...

We are doing a 21 day cruise on Oceania January 4 2017

LA Hawaii Tahiti.Never been to Hawaii but three times to Tahiti.Are the seas very rough from la too Hawaii this time of year?

Edited by Acrusa