Help disability friendly

gamecockinnc

Hi,

We will be in Tortola on December 6th, 2016. I am trying to find any excursion for my parents to do in Tortola. My mother uses a electric wheel. She suffered a stroke at a very young age and can't use one arm or hand and drags her leg.

Last time we were in Tortola my husband and I just jumped in with a group in a open air taxi for $20 apiece for a tour of the island. And it was awesome. Another time we took a taxi to a beach but I can't remember which one.

Does anyone have any suggestions for my mother? I am hoping we can borrow though I know it's not guaranteed a wheelchair to transport her from the ship to meet a van. I realize she wouldn't be able to take her electric wheelchair.

Maybe a private van to take her and my dad around the island for a bit just to see the beauty. She wouldn't even need to get out. She would be so happy just to see the scenery.

Disney offers one private car hire but it's $1200.00.

I realize the taxi drivers will want to fill up their taxis for such a tour.

Any suggestions?

And I am having a hard time remembering the area around the dock. Worst case can she drive her electric wheelchair off and are there shops?

I also am looking for something to do with my 5 year and 15 year old. I've considered booking the Disney excursion to Jost Van Dyke. I think they would enjoy a beach day. Any suggestions for private excursion companies or other excursions that would be a good fit. I'm not sure our 5 year would appreciate the Baths yet. This cruise only calls on St. Thomas and Castaway Cay and my boys love the beach. Maybe their is another beach excursion or option we can do other than Jost Van Dyke?

I am mainly concerned about seeing if I can find anything for my parents to do. Tortola is breath taking and I've enjoyed just the ride around. I think my mother would too.

Thank you!

T

Ps: I have posted this on the disability forum too.

And the DIS boards too.

Any help or advice would be appreciated. I hate the thought that she won't be able to see anything.

Hi,

We will be in Tortola on December 6th, 2016. I am trying to find any excursion for my parents to do in Tortola. My mother uses a electric wheel. She suffered a stroke at a very young age and can't use one arm or hand and drags her leg.

Last time we were in Tortola my husband and I just jumped in with a group in a open air taxi for $20 apiece for a tour of the island. And it was awesome. Another time we took a taxi to a beach but I can't remember which one.

Does anyone have any suggestions for my mother? I am hoping we can borrow though I know it's not guaranteed a wheelchair to transport her from the ship to meet a van. I realize she wouldn't be able to take her electric wheelchair.

Maybe a private van to take her and my dad around the island for a bit just to see the beauty. She wouldn't even need to get out. She would be so happy just to see the scenery.

Disney offers one private car hire but it's $1200.00.

I realize the taxi drivers will want to fill up their taxis for such a tour.

Any suggestions?

And I am having a hard time remembering the area around the dock. Worst case can she drive her electric wheelchair off and are there shops?

I also am looking for something to do with my 5 year and 15 year old. I've considered booking the Disney excursion to Jost Van Dyke. I think they would enjoy a beach day. Any suggestions for private excursion companies or other excursions that would be a good fit. I'm not sure our 5 year would appreciate the Baths yet. This cruise only calls on St. Thomas and Castaway Cay and my boys love the beach. Maybe their is another beach excursion or option we can do other than Jost Van Dyke?

I am mainly concerned about seeing if I can find anything for my parents to do. Tortola is breath taking and I've enjoyed just the ride around. I think my mother would too.

Thank you!

T

Ps: I have posted this on the disability forum too.

And the DIS boards too.

Any help or advice would be appreciated. I hate the thought that she won't be able to see anything.

Hi,

It's a pleasure to read someone else appreciates the beauty of Tortola as much as I - thank you for that!

Looks like you have a good 8 hrs of free time so that's great. You're sharing the island with 4,000 fellow cruisemates and there will be many land vacationers there at that time. But you are so fortunate - the day before and the day after there are 13,000 - 15,000 cruisers landing on Tortola! Great planning on your part! ;)

For your mom, I agree it would be great if she could see some of that beauty. There is no need to spend that kind of money for a private driver. The taxi companies can provide a comfortable van and arrange to meet you at the pier with a wheelchair and they have hourly rates. I'm not sure if they can meet her at the gangway, you'd have to ask them. But they are great at handling special requests. That would at least give her an opportunity to take a scenic tour of the island, and stop for a nice lunch at one of the great outdoor restaurants away from the crowds that don't have that luxury. I'll note the taxi company contacts below. I will also see if a driver we know is available and let you know - can't promise anything because he's part time and leaves the island often to visit the States but we'll check.

As far as beach excursions, the best options are just hopping a taxi to a beach in the group safari taxi that you mentioned. If you check "The Gorgeous Beaches..." thread you'll find details on the beaches. Briefly, Cane Garden Bay has several beach bars/restaurants and will be very crowded, Brewers Bay has one beach bar and will be a little crowded, and Long Bay will be a bit quieter with a restaurant and restrooms and "used" $5 lounges.

The excursion to Jost is to White Bay which is a nice, white-sand beach with beach bars like Soggy $Bar and Seddy's One Love bar. Gets lively there with boats stopping in, if too lively for the young one you could taxi over to Foxy's place in Great Harbor, if Foxy is there he's a great storyteller. If the ship excursion is on the Rebel Yell that picks you up near the cruise dock I'd consider that, it fills up early.

Taxi contact numbers, I'll check on the driver we know...

http://www.bvivacation.com/transportation/tortola-taxi-fares-rates.php#.WAlk5HT3af0

Let's make this a great port stop for mom!

And St Thomas has nice beaches as well. We rent a condo on Sapphire Beach and that is a good choice for a day visitor. Not as crowded as other beaches, good food/drink options, restrooms, nice shaded areas, and pretty island views. I'm not sure about a wheelchair provider, but if you get there there is a walkway from the taxi drop off to the beach. But you'd be in the sand getting to a shaded spot by the water.

The Emerald Beach Resort in Lindbergh Bay would be easier for her, and there is an open-air restaurant on the beach where she could enjoy the water views. Just an idea for a beach day there...

Edited by blue_water

Blue Water,

Thank you for your reply and checking with your friend. I have read your comments for a few years now. You always give really great and honest advice.

I am cruising with my middle son (15) and our youngest son (5). Unfortunately our eldest son is a freshman in college and can't cruise with us but don't feel bad for him I took him on back to back cruises this summer for his graduation trip so he had a great time.

What can you suggest for my two sons and myself. We are beach people. I was considering Jost Van Dyke. Through the ship it's expensive but no worries. But do you recommend going or a private excursion company.

Or a beach we could grab a taxi too? I believe the last beach we went to in Tortola was near a distillery.

Anyway if you can let me know your thoughts.

And if you think of anything else for my mom please please let me know.

Thank you!

T

For Jost, I usually agree that the excursion on Rebel Yell through the ship and right from the dock makes sense due to the alternate travel time required going on your own. But you actually have a good 9 hrs in port so you could go on your own too.

You'd taxi to the New Horizons ferry terminal at West End and ferry over to Great Harbor. Foxy's place is right there along with other places, but you'll want to taxi over the hill to White Bay for the nice beach. There are beach bars there like Soggy $ Bar and Seddy's One Love where you can hang and relax with a drink and lunch. Gets very crowded late morning into the after noon. Roundtrip taxi between the cruise dock and the ferry terminal is about $24, roundtrip ferry is $25pp, and roundtrip taxi on Jost about $8pp. The 5 year old taxi fare is 1/2 price.

Here's their webcam -

http://www.soggydollar.com/webcam

However I believe the ferries that work for you are a 10AM departure and a 2PM return so you'd only get about 3 hrs on the beach. Jost is just hard to get to via public transportation. You could also check with a few catamaran operators who go there to see if that is an option. If interested try Kuralu, Patouche, and Aristocat Charters.

For a nice beach on Tortola where you'll have much more time to enjoy the beach you have a few options. You were probably in Cane Garden Bay last visit, that's where the Callwood Rum Distillery is located. CGB will be very crowded but there are more amenities there.

Brewers Bay is a beautiful bay with just one beach bar so it doesn't get as crowded. Taxi to either beach is about $16pp roundtrip (1/2 fare for the 5 yr old).

Long Bay is a nice long beach with a restaurant and $5 lounge rentals but can be a bit rougher.

An inexpensive island tour (~$25pp for 3 - 4 hrs) is a great way to see the beauty of the island and get a little beach time, drivers are at the dock offering these. But for a beach Brewers would be a good choice.