Need something to do in NASSAU. Balmoral???

mitsugirly

We were scheduled to go to NCL's private island, but thanks to that jerk "Matthew", renovations to the island have been extended due to some damage from the hurricane. :(

We got word that we will be stopping in Nassau for the day instead. :rolleyes:

We are a family of 8 (6 adults and 2 children) and need to find something new to do.

We have been to Blue Lagoon and loved it and also took the public bus to Melia. We are looking for something else this time around if possible. We love the beach, so NOT looking for tours of the city, bar hoping, restaurants, or anything history related.

We normally do things on our own and not with the cruise line...unless it just makes more sense for us to use the cruise line (like with Blue Lagoon).

I did notice that NCL goes to a place called BALMORAL. Can anyone give me info on that place and what you thought of it?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or experiences.

News to me. When are you going to Bahamas? We are going Nov 21 on the Sky and are looking forward to going to NCL's private Island. Can you share some info you received on it being closed? Thanks, Randy

We were scheduled to be there the week before you.

The information as of now is:

At Norwegian Cruise Line, the safety and comfort of our guests and crew is always our number one priority. Our team has completed the assessment of

Hurricane Matthew's impact on Great Stirrup Cay, our private island in the Bahamas,

which has been closed since August

25 for enhancements as a part

of The Norwegian Edge program

. Due to the storm'

s effects on the island and the resulting delays in construction

, the island will remain closed for an

additional four weeks to complete the planned upgrades. Great Stirrup Cay will re-open to welcome guests on November 20.

Balmoral is Carnival's island. Half is leased by Carnival, the other half is Sandals' private island. I didn't realize NCL was going there too. Maybe it's only temporary until they get GSC fixed?

Personally, I've been avoiding Balmoral because I've read they mistreat their dolphins and didn't get the proper permits. Do your research and decide for yourself.

You didn't say what hours you'll be in port, but if you'll be in Nassau overnight, maybe something like Pearl Island or Sandy Toes?

http://www.pearlislandbahamas.com/en/

http://www.sandytoesbahamas.com/full-day-excursions/

I can't really recommend them because I haven't done either of them yet but they are on my to-do list for a time I'm in Nassau for a long day.

Edited by CruisinCrow

We were scheduled to be there the week before you.

The information as of now is:

At Norwegian Cruise Line, the safety and comfort of our guests and crew is always our number one priority. Our team has completed the assessment of

Hurricane Matthew's impact on Great Stirrup Cay, our private island in the Bahamas,

which has been closed since August

25 for enhancements as a part

of The Norwegian Edge program

. Due to the storm'

s effects on the island and the resulting delays in construction

, the island will remain closed for an

additional four weeks to complete the planned upgrades. Great Stirrup Cay will re-open to welcome guests on November 20.

Thank you! Hope they keep to that schedule, we should be the first to enjoy the remodel?

Balmoral is Carnival's island. Half is leased by Carnival, the other half is Sandals' private island. I didn't realize NCL was going there too. Maybe it's only temporary until they get GSC fixed?

Personally, I've been avoiding Balmoral because I've read they mistreat their dolphins and didn't get the proper permits. Do your research and decide for yourself.

You didn't say what hours you'll be in port, but if you'll be in Nassau overnight, maybe something like Pearl Island or Sandy Toes?

http://www.pearlislandbahamas.com/en/

http://www.sandytoesbahamas.com/full-day-excursions/

I can't really recommend them because I haven't done either of them yet but they are on my to-do list for a time I'm in Nassau for a long day.

Yep, I did know that Carnival owns it (or leases it) and thought it was strange that NCL goes there too. I don't know if they normally go there or if it was just during the remodel, but I do know that it was on their excursion list prior to our cancellation of going to GSC and heading to Nassau instead.

We're not really interested in doing any of the swims. I'm sure they are pretty expensive and we have done them before in Cozumel. Just interested in going to the island. I'm just looking for those that might have been before that can comment on if it's nice or not.

Of course still looking for other suggestions on places to go.

NCL doesn't usually stay over night at any of the ports, so we are there from 8-4pm.

Thank you! Hope they keep to that schedule, we should be the first to enjoy the remodel?

I hope they keep it to so that you are able to enjoy a day there with the new upgrades. I guess I'll have to "try again" another time. This will make the second time we've tried to make it back there and it has been cancelled (last time was due to the waves). I haven't been there since 2012 I believe it was. Then before that, it was 1989 when things were MUCH DIFFERENT. :D

Yep, I did know that Carnival owns it (or leases it) and thought it was strange that NCL goes there too. I don't know if they normally go there or if it was just during the remodel, but I do know that it was on their excursion list prior to our cancellation of going to GSC and heading to Nassau instead.

We're not really interested in doing any of the swims. I'm sure they are pretty expensive and we have done them before in Cozumel. Just interested in going to the island. I'm just looking for those that might have been before that can comment on if it's nice or not.

Of course still looking for other suggestions on places to go.

NCL doesn't usually stay over night at any of the ports, so we are there from 8-4pm.

I hope they keep it to so that you are able to enjoy a day there with the new upgrades. I guess I'll have to "try again" another time. This will make the second time we've tried to make it back there and it has been cancelled (last time was due to the waves). I haven't been there since 2012 I believe it was. Then before that, it was 1989 when things were MUCH DIFFERENT. :D

We are doing a self paced walk-a-bout in Nassau. There is a pirate museum along this route the kids might like, but we are not stopping, https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Nassau+Walking+Tour/Queen's+Staircase/Fort+Fincastle/Government+House/Graycliff+Hotel+%26+Restaurant/St.Francis+Xavier+Cathedral/John+Watling%C2%B4s+Distillery/Junkanoo+Beach+(a+beach)/Goldie's+Conch+House/Straw+Market/@25.0762651,-77.3574568,15z/am=t/data=!3m1!4b1!4m62!4m61!1m5!1m1!1s0x892f7d04505130c5:0xf28d547dad31a7c3!2m2!1d-77.3404288!2d25.0782955!1m5!1m1!1s0x892f7d06abee5961:0x6338d56dc6c38c3d!2m2!1d-77.3378179!2d25.0738372!1m5!1m1!1s0x892f7ce546d4bd2d:0xf10fbc5cdc90cf7e!2m2!1d-77.33852!2d25.0735953!1m5!1m1!1s0x892f7d1caf44c6fd:0xe14903e94241c8e6!2m2!1d-77.3445849!2d25.0758295!1m5!1m1!1s0x892f7d191ad5ef75:0x5054a8994ba1f6d2!2m2!1d-77.345546!2d25.075836!1m5!1m1!1s0x892f7d1c72c1f705:0x29794928365647dd!2m2!1d-77.3481455!2d25.0758643!1m5!1m1!1s0x892f7d1c41380a5f:0xbb69f09798099186!2m2!1d-77.3491412!2d25.0741003!1m5!1m1!1s0x892f7d1bd7293e6b:0x107f4905755613a7!2m2!1d-77.349341!2d25.0789552!1m5!1m1!1s0x892f7d239ade5fdb:0x8b2219302d247d34!2m2!1d-77.3597681!2d25.0798706!1m5!1m1!1s0x892f6321140b93cf:0x61c54bcad60e3aed!2m2!1d-77.3433899!2d25.0784597!3e2

We are doing a self paced walk-a-bout in Nassau. There is a pirate museum along this route the kids might like, but we are not stopping,

Not really something we would be looking for. Like I said, we are beach people and not into site-seeing or anything like that. (You probably don't read my extensive reviews, so...I had to laugh when you mentioned the "pirate museum" because my 8 year old daughter is totally convinced that she is a mermaid, she has several mermaid outfits she takes with her each cruise and she's a great swimmer in them...well, she is scared of pirates and tells me each cruise that we can not let anyone on the ship know she's a mermaid because they have a themed pirate night and pirates kill mermaids. :eek: :p She would be so opposed to that pirate museum. LOL)

Barmoral is horrible! Please find something else to do. If you do the stingrays or dolphins they won't let you use your own camera trying to force you to buy their expensive packages. The beach is nice but the food and drinks are EXTREMELY overpriced (as in $25 for a hamburger and fries that is about the same as a McDonalds happy meal burger) The restroom and other facilities are FILTHY. The pool is not well maintained. I was so happy to see that ferry pull up so we could leave! Such a horrid waste of money and time. I haven't done any other excursions in Nassau but I can't imagine them being worse than Balmoral.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Barmoral is horrible! Please find something else to do. If you do the stingrays or dolphins they won't let you use your own camera trying to force you to buy their expensive packages. The beach is nice but the food and drinks are EXTREMELY overpriced (as in $25 for a hamburger and fries that is about the same as a McDonalds happy meal burger) The restroom and other facilities are FILTHY. The pool is not well maintained. I was so happy to see that ferry pull up so we could leave! Such a horrid waste of money and time. I haven't done any other excursions in Nassau but I can't imagine them being worse than Balmoral.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are not going for any of the swims. We have done the swims in other places out in the wild and also at Cozumel at Chankanaab. All the swims are like that (can't take your own pictures and have to buy them, which are expensive, that's how they make their money). So that's pretty normal for most swims that I have been to, but doesn't affect us since we are not doing the swims.

As for the food, I had read other complaints about the food being expensive (not $25 for a hamburger and fries, everyone else said that it's around $15), but this is the norm for any private islands, and we have done plenty of them and paid this much. I guess when you are on a private island, they know that you don't have a choice but pay the prices if you are going to drink and eat. :( So, as long as I'm aware of the pricing and budget accordingly, this does not bother me.

I have not read anything that said the restrooms and pool are filthy. So, I'll keep that in mind. Although I can't imagine the restrooms being anything compared to the places we have been in some of the third world countries. As long as there's a place to go, I'll be ok. I'm not picky or hard to please...I've been camping and used the woods before. ;)

We are mostly interested in the beach area though. :)

Thanks for your opinion and descriptions. I appreciate it and I will investigate more.

I would vote for Sandy Toes if you have the time. You don't really need to stay overnight to do this but do need to have a long day in port. Unlike some tours that are flexible for cruise passengers, they have a fixed schedule so you need to make sure your port hours fall within their schedule.

I would vote for Sandy Toes if you have the time. You don't really need to stay overnight to do this but do need to have a long day in port. Unlike some tours that are flexible for cruise passengers, they have a fixed schedule so you need to make sure your port hours fall within their schedule.

Can you tell me more about this Sandy Toes? I see that the price includes the meal and it's a little further than Blue Lagoon. How long does it take to get there? It says you have to take a taxi over to Paradise to meet them. Do you get on the ferry from there or is it private transportation to the island using another boat? Do they only return at a certain time? We are in port from 8-4pm and it says the excursion starts at 10 (time to be at the ferry dock on Paradise).

Yea, I will be in Nassau in early December and had hoped to do Sandy Toes but can't because we are on the same type of port schedule and just won't be back in time. At this point there's a ship's tour (Carnival) that does a snorkel excursion out to Rose Island that we're considering or looking to get a day pass at either Breezes or Sandals. I'll be watching this post to see if you get a lead on anything else we might want to consider. Since we are also beach/snorkeling people, I've enjoyed reading your reviews and seeing the pictures you post. For us, vacations are almost always about the beach/snorkeling because we just don't get that here in Columbus.

Yea, I will be in Nassau in early December and had hoped to do Sandy Toes but can't because we are on the same type of port schedule and just won't be back in time. At this point there's a ship's tour (Carnival) that does a snorkel excursion out to Rose Island that we're considering or looking to get a day pass at either Breezes or Sandals. I'll be watching this post to see if you get a lead on anything else we might want to consider. Since we are also beach/snorkeling people, I've enjoyed reading your reviews and seeing the pictures you post. For us, vacations are almost always about the beach/snorkeling because we just don't get that here in Columbus.

Hey at least we've had awesome weather here in Columbus lately. ;)

I have tried seeing about a day pass to Hilton (right there by the port and within walking distance before you come to Junkanoo Beach), but they are already sold out. :( We have been to Cable beach already (to Melia) and didn't want to do that again.

I have a feeling I'll end up just having a "semi-free" beach day at Junkanoo since nothing else seems to work out. I don't have much longer to go and I'm losing hope at this point. :(

If your budget isn't too tight, why not a day pass at RIU Palace? It doesn't sound like you've been to Cabbage Beach before.

RIU is all-inclusive so that's a plus for the adults in the group. You can book it in advance through Island Marketing: https://bahamascruiseexcursions.com/NassauRiuResortPass.htm

My only two warnings are that the beach gets a bit crowded in front of and next to RIU because that's the public access point. But if you walk down a bit, it's secluded. Also, sometimes the water is rough so there's no snorkeling and sometimes no swimming (just depends on the weather).

We've gone to RIU 4 times. There are some pictures of it in my Norwegian Sky review. The link is in my signature.

If your budget isn't too tight, why not a day pass at RIU Palace? It doesn't sound like you've been to Cabbage Beach before.

RIU is all-inclusive so that's a plus for the adults in the group. You can book it in advance through Island Marketing: https://bahamascruiseexcursions.com/NassauRiuResortPass.htm

My only two warnings are that the beach gets a bit crowded in front of and next to RIU because that's the public access point. But if you walk down a bit, it's secluded. Also, sometimes the water is rough so there's no snorkeling and sometimes no swimming (just depends on the weather).

We've gone to RIU 4 times. There are some pictures of it in my Norwegian Sky review. The link is in my signature.

You are right, I haven't been to Cabbage beach before. The price listed would be acceptable (it's my kids that have the budget and I have to do what they can afford when they cruise with us), but with knowing that a lot of the times the beach is too rough and you can't swim, pretty much eliminates the thought of going there. We really are beach people and would rather be in the ocean than just at a resort swimming in the pool. Yes, it's an added amenity to have a pool, but not a priority. So I don't think they would go for that with the uncertainty of maybe not getting to use the ocean. Although we did have that happen one of the times we were all in Nassau and went to Melia. The ocean was to rough and it was closed. :(

• 1 month later...

I have done both the Melia (back when it was the Sheraton) and Balmoral Island. I can say I definitely preferred Balmoral. When I was there I had my three kids with me and we were there with a bunch of other couples and their kids. It was actually their favorite stop on our cruise. The swimming was good there, not much to see snorkeling (I have read your reviews :-D ) but there were some fish around the rocks. I actually found it all to be quite clean. It is small but we enjoyed it so much more than the Sheraton, which after we left we sort of wondered why we had spent the money. Only thing is Balmoral is expensive for what you are getting, but compared to the other choices I think it would possibly be a good one for you. The sand is very nice. There are a bunch of people at the pier before you leave selling water bottles for $1...the tour operators didn't care if we brought that water to the island even though it was no outside food or drink. They were very engaging on the boat ride over, my kids thought they were awesome. So the waters saved us a bit of money and we just got some doritos for the kids while we were there....expensive but hey, the ship has food right?

I have done both the Melia (back when it was the Sheraton) and Balmoral Island. I can say I definitely preferred Balmoral. When I was there I had my three kids with me and we were there with a bunch of other couples and their kids. It was actually their favorite stop on our cruise. The swimming was good there, not much to see snorkeling (I have read your reviews :-D ) but there were some fish around the rocks. I actually found it all to be quite clean. It is small but we enjoyed it so much more than the Sheraton, which after we left we sort of wondered why we had spent the money. Only thing is Balmoral is expensive for what you are getting, but compared to the other choices I think it would possibly be a good one for you. The sand is very nice. There are a bunch of people at the pier before you leave selling water bottles for $1...the tour operators didn't care if we brought that water to the island even though it was no outside food or drink. They were very engaging on the boat ride over, my kids thought they were awesome. So the waters saved us a bit of money and we just got some doritos for the kids while we were there....expensive but hey, the ship has food right?

Thanks for your opinion and sharing your experience. I will keep this in mind next time we go to Nassau (since we already completed this cruise where I ask about going there). :)