Freeport vs. Nassau

disneygirl21

Looking for some recommendations on what to do in both places.

I've been to Nassau plenty of times but I've never been to Freeport.

My best friend and I are going on the Carnival Liberty for spring break in March. We want to go to the beach and maybe do a snorkeling excursion. We don't want to travel too far off the beaten path considering we're 2 22 year olds who don't want to get lost by ourselves somewhere not so safe.

I've read a lot about Junkanoo( I believe that is how it's spelt) in Nassau. Can anyone help here? I saw some catamaran excursions on Freeport but they didn't have the best responses from people.

Thanks for any and all help! (:

In Freeport you dock in an industrial area and have a long bus or cab ride to get to the other side of the island where the resorts are. (like 20-25 min)

Lots of fun stuff to do in Nassau.

Depends on what you are looking to do and what your budget is. (I can't even remember what I used to enjoy at 22)

Getting drunk on the cheap, than Junkanoo is an option. (It is a beach in the city, enough said)

A nicer beach and surroundings for your drinking, then a daypass at a Cable Beach hotel or Breezes, etc. might be your best option.

If cash is no object, then Atlantis might be a better day. (too Vegasy for my taste, but most seem to enjoy)

Also done dolphin/sea lion/beach day at Blue Lagoon, Ardastra Gardens, walking tours and had a blast doing each.

Trying the Graycliff for some fresh cigars and the Rum Distillery a week from today. (but those are old fart things to do. )

Edited by bguppies

The British Colonial Hilton is right in town and offers day passes.

One can see this beautiful hotel from the ship. It is within walking distance, but there are lots of vendors selling stuff on the streets- so some get a taxi.

We took a van taxi at the pier for $5 pp to the Melia on Cable Beach.

We went to the front desk, bought our passes, and put on bracelets. There are big pools and a nice big beach.

See websites for photos and more info.

In Freeport you dock in an industrial area and have a long bus or cab ride to get to the other side of the island where the resorts are. (like 20-25 min)

Lots of fun stuff to do in Nassau.

Depends on what you are looking to do and what your budget is. (I can't even remember what I used to enjoy at 22)

Getting drunk on the cheap, than Junkanoo is an option. (It is a beach in the city, enough said)

A nicer beach and surroundings for your drinking, then a daypass at a Cable Beach hotel or Breezes, etc. might be your best option.

If cash is no object, then Atlantis might be a better day. (too Vegasy for my taste, but most seem to enjoy)

Also done dolphin/sea lion/beach day at Blue Lagoon, Ardastra Gardens, walking tours and had a blast doing each.

Trying the Graycliff for some fresh cigars and the Rum Distillery a week from today. (but those are old fart things to do. )

I went to Blue Lagoon a few years ago and loved it!! We might just do that or a resort day pass. My roommate and I don't want to make this a party cruise just a relaxing one :)

Would you say Freeport is a better place to shop and kind of just see the town?

We took a cab from the port in Freeport to the Lucayan resort area I think it was.

They had a small market across the street from beach and resort, where you caught the cabs back.

The town we drove through to get to the resort area was just like driving through any suburb in the US. (passing KFC's, Popeyes, Burger Kings, etc)

Nassau is definitely the more, wander around the pier/town and shop area.

We have done a day at Blue Lagoon (dolphin and sea lion encounters) and the daypass at the BCH twice.

The daypass at the Melia at Cable Beach looks quite nice, but we have yet to try that one personally.

Maybe somebody who has personally done that one will respond, or you could google or do a search in here for the Melia Cable Beach.

Good luck.

Whatever you choose, I hope you ladies have a great time in both ports.

Edited by bguppies