Pre cruise NYC hotel Traveling from CT

jlcd66

Driving to NYC from CT on 8/5 prior to 8/6 departure on the Breakaway. Looking for a hotel for 4 that will allow an easy trip to the port on Sunday. We plan to spend Saturday in the city but are fine taking the train in from the hotel. Biggest concern is not having to drive in Manhattan any more than we have to. Is there anything close to the port or are we better off in Westchester/Bronx etc? Want to stay under $300. Something like Hampton Inn etc would be great.

Thanks for any input.

Edited by jlcd66

Driving to NYC from CT on 8/5 prior to 8/6 departure on the Breakaway. Looking for a hotel for 4 that will allow an easy trip to the port on Sunday. We plan to spend Saturday in the city but are fine taking the train in from the hotel. Biggest concern is not having to drive in Manhattan any more than we have to. Is there anything close to the port or are we better off in Westchester/Bronx etc? Want to stay under $300. Something like Hampton Inn etc would be great.

Thanks for any input.

Look at the Courtyard in Rye NY. Rye Train station is very close and parking is free on the weekend. To get to the port you can take I287 west to the Hutchinson River Parkway South. From the Hutch take exit 15 in New Rochelle to get on the Cross County Pkwy. Stay in the middle left lane, which will become the left lane when the road "scrunches". This leads onto the Saw Mill River Pkwy South which becomes the Henry Hudson Pkwy at the NYC line ($5.50 toll - if no EZPass they will bill you in the mail and you need to pay it!). The toll is worth every penny. The Henry Hudson will take you directly to the port. This is a cars only route with no scary trucks.

Look at the Courtyard in Rye NY. Rye Train station is very close and parking is free on the weekend. To get to the port you can take I287 west to the Hutchinson River Parkway South. From the Hutch take exit 15 in New Rochelle to get on the Cross County Pkwy. Stay in the middle left lane, which will become the left lane when the road "scrunches". This leads onto the Saw Mill River Pkwy South which becomes the Henry Hudson Pkwy at the NYC line ($5.50 toll - if no EZPass they will bill you in the mail and you need to pay it!). The toll is worth every penny. The Henry Hudson will take you directly to the port. This is a cars only route with no scary trucks.

Thanks for the input. I'll look into that one!

Think about staying at Stamford Marriott - well under $300, Thurs-Sunday rates are just over $100 per night. Covered parking at Stamford train station garage is $10 per day. Easy 45 minute train ride to Grand Central in NY.

There are a number of nice hotels in Stamford including a Hampton Inn which we have stayed in as well as the Stamford Marriott and the Courtyard Rye.

Price it all out to see what suits. The Stamford Marriott charges $21 to park and has double beds. The Hampton Inn and Courtyard do not have a parking fee. Hampton Inn offers queen beds and free breakfast. The Courtyard offers double beds. As mentioned the Stamford train station charges $10 to park.

Off peak round trip train fare is $19 from Rye and $23 from Stamford.

If you stay in Stamford, you still want to take I287 west to pick up the Hutchinson River Parkway to the Henry Hudson. This cars only route ends at the Manhattan Cruiseport and completely eliminates any local street driving within NYC.

Off peak round trip train fare is $19 from Rye and $23 from Stamford.

That is peak fare, off peak is less. You can upgrade without fee on board a non-peak to peak ticket.

Grand Central Stamford Adult is $15.25 Off Peak and $21 Peak

Rye is $12.50 off Peak $19.00 Peak pending fare increase in March for NY Stations on MNRR, MTA Board actually votes today on the increase.

That is peak fare, off peak is less. You can upgrade without fee on board a non-peak to peak ticket.

Grand Central Stamford Adult is $15.25 Off Peak and $21 Peak

Rye is $12.50 off Peak $19.00 Peak pending fare increase in March for NY Stations on MNRR, MTA Board actually votes today on the increase.

The MBTA web site is currently showing $19 for round trip off peak Rye. Stamford is $23.

Type of Ticket. On Board At Station

Off-Peak

Round-Trip Off-Peak. N/A. 19.00

Round-Trip Senior / Disabled / Medicare. 12.50. 12.50

you might want to look into these 2 hotels. they are basically across the street from one antother. very easy to get to from the saw mill parkway. the Hampton inn offers free shuttle service to the metro north station. and its an easy ride to the port (approximately 15 miles) straight down the saw mill/henry Hudson parkway right to the port.

http://www.hamptoninnyonkers.com

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/hpnyk-residence-inn-yonkers-westchester-county

you might want to look into these 2 hotels. they are basically across the street from one antother. very easy to get to from the saw mill parkway. the Hampton inn offers free shuttle service to the metro north station. and its an easy ride to the port (approximately 15 miles) straight down the saw mill/henry Hudson parkway right to the port.

http://www.hamptoninnyonkers.com

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/hpnyk-residence-inn-yonkers-westchester-county

Thanks.

Is it easy to park at that Metro North station?

The MBTA web site is currently showing $19 for round trip off peak Rye. Stamford is $23.

Carol,

I ride the New Haven line all the time. I believe you are confusing on board fare with station fare or the new fares March 19th that are for New York State Stations only. $23 is more than the off peak to New Haven.

MNRRRye_zpsuukdgej8.jpg

MNRRStamford_zpsxscyhdko.jpg

I think we're just talking apples and oranges. I'm quoting roundtrip fares.

The OP wants to drive down to Westchester/southern CT on a Sat, park their car at a metro north station, and go round trip into the city by train for the day. They would then stay at a Westchester/southern CT hotel for the night and drive to the pier on Sun morning. The chart you posted shows an off peak fare from Stamford of $11.50, which would be $23 round trip. If the fares go up between now and the time they do this trip, it would be more money.

Living near Boston I'm not a frequent metro north user, but over the years I have been a 1-2 times a year Westchester/Stamford hotel user as well as an occasional metro north/Amtrak user at New Rochelle, Larchmont, Rye, Greenwich, and Stamford. I like the Courtyard Rye because it's an easy off of I95 South. The Rye train station is several blocks away on local streets with free weekend parking. It's an easy on to I287 west to get to the Hutchinson

River Pkwy.

If queen bed size is a consideration, then the OP should focus on the Hampton Inns in Stamford or Westchester. The HI near the Tuckahoe station and would be a cheaper round trip train fare. It's also close to the Saw Mill Pkwy which would take them directly to the pier without driving local NYC streets (or driving I95 through NYC)