Belfast - can we make this?

ridge4

I would like to inquire about the ease of getting a cab at Belfast port. We would like to take a Game of Thrones tour that leaves the Belfast Tourist Ofiice at 9am, and we are scheduled to dock at 8am. Google estimates a 9 minute drive, but I am sure that is optimal conditions. Is it doable, providing we dock on time?

I can't really answer your question, but at least I'll try. I would guess you can, but of course that assumes that the ship docks on time, they let you off on time, and there are plenty of taxis. However, if you're on a huge ship, things may be a little slower than if you're on the ships I've cruised on, which are medium or almost smallish ships in my estimation. It has generally been my experience, on several different lines in many ports, that the ship generally gets in a little earlier than the scheduled time or on time. However, there's always some tying up, clearing with the authorities, and other tasks that take time. If your cruise line says you'll dock at 8, I'm guessing that unless there's a weather or mechanical issue (a big one) you'll likely be let off at or by 8, and taxis will be lined up waiting for you.

I've been to Belfast, but when we were there, we shared a private tour with two other couples, so I didn't take a taxi anywhere. Therefore, I really don't remember how many were available. In a few ports in Europe, we've had a bit of trouble getting a taxi to go a short distance (e.g., maybe a few miles to go to a car rental place), but hopefully that won't be the case for you. I'm guessing it won't be, but just in case it is, ask the balky driver if there's another who could do it, or walk a bit out of the port and look for a taxi, or call Uber if you do Uber and it's available in Belfast.

I do remember that, at least where we docked, the Belfast Titanic Museum was close, and I think the Tourist Info Center was as well, but there is a little bit of wiggling around the port that's needed to get to those places. We saw the Titanic Museum from our berth, but it was a bit away from us.

All in all, I think you'll be fine.....good luck!

Thanks for comprehensive reply, roothy123. We are experienced cruisers, so I am familiar with all the ins and outs of docking and disembarkation. Sometimes it goes great, sometimes not so much. But I agree with you that many times the ship actually arrives earlier than scheduled.

Therefore my main concern was the taxi situation at Belfast, as we have never been there. Great tip on Uber, I didn't even think of that for Belfast. That would give us another option, although likely we would need to get out of the port gates first.

I am pretty set on this particular tour, so I am leaning toward giving it a go. Thanks!

Thanks for comprehensive reply, roothy123. We are experienced cruisers, so I am familiar with all the ins and outs of docking and disembarkation. Sometimes it goes great, sometimes not so much. But I agree with you that many times the ship actually arrives earlier than scheduled.

Therefore my main concern was the taxi situation at Belfast, as we have never been there. Great tip on Uber, I didn't even think of that for Belfast. That would give us another option, although likely we would need to get out of the port gates first.

I am pretty set on this particular tour, so I am leaning toward giving it a go. Thanks!

I would get in contact with the Belfast Tourist Office and ask their opinion. They may even have the phone number of a taxi service that you can call if there aren't enough taxis available at the dock. I was on a cruise line tour and so I didn't really notice how many taxis were there, but it would probably be a good idea to have the phone numbers of even a few taxi services you could call if needed. When I looked up Uber for Dublin last week, they only had Uber Black and the rates were WAY more than the taxis.

I would get in contact with the Belfast Tourist Office and ask their opinion. They may even have the phone number of a taxi service that you can call if there aren't enough taxis available at the dock. I was on a cruise line tour and so I didn't really notice how many taxis were there, but it would probably be a good idea to have the phone numbers of even a few taxi services you could call if needed. When I looked up Uber for Dublin last week, they only had Uber Black and the rates were WAY more than the taxis.

Thank you, good idea. In the meantime, I have found a tour with a pick up point less than 15 minutes away, that picks up at 9:30am. This gives us 90 minutes to disembark and get to the pick up point. This should be sufficient.

• 3 months later...

I live in Belfast. This is very do-able as long as the ship docks on time and allows you off as normal.

You will need to book a taxi as Belfast has an extremely stupid 'no-hail' policy. Uber has only been introduced in the last year. Even with a bit of traffic which shouldn't be too bad at 8am it should take 15-20 max.

The two massive taxi companies in Northern Ireland are FonaCab (02890333333) and ValueCab (02890809080) - FonaCab also has a great app too.

Enjoy your tour!