Help deciding on coat/rain gear for June cruise.......

Mitch2016

Hello....have been researching threads and trying to decide on what type of jacket I'm going to need for our cruise June 5-12. I know we need something that is water/wind proof, but don't want something that is too big/bulky and heavy. Everyone says you need to wear layers and shed as the day warms. Is this coat on the link I shared the type that I should be looking at? Is it too much or is this appropriate? It will be June so hoping for temps averaging 60, but know that it will be cooler and windier on deck and out on water excursions. It can also be a freak day and be warmer! Is this a good choice? I'm not sure how well this will compress and fold up to put in backpack if the day clears off and warms up. We live in Iowa and for winter, we wear heavy down jackets, Carharts etc.... In spring/fall, we wear light lined nylon jackets....not necessarily waterproof but water resistant. I don't want to invest a large chunk of change in a rain coat that won't be worn a whole lot once home....

What does everyone think....

http://www.resultclothing.com/product.php?prod=R400F

I live near you. I would prepare for April/May Iowa weather if that helps.

I can't tell how warm that jacket is. Yes, it will be cooler when at glaciers and it can be windy on that day and when on deck when the ship is moving. I have never brought full waterproof clothes and never felt the need to buy it. The jacket looks good, something you could use back home also.

I think you are aiming correctly - mostly mid 60's for highs and lows in the 40's in Alaska.

Edited by Coral

I live near you. I would prepare for April/May Iowa weather if that helps.

I can't tell how warm that jacket is. Yes, it will be cooler when at glaciers and it can be windy on that day and when on deck when the ship is moving. I have never brought full waterproof clothes and never felt the need to buy it. The jacket looks good, something you could use back home also.

I think you are aiming correctly - mostly mid 60's for highs and lows in the 40's in Alaska.

Coral....we don't normally wear full waterproof jackets either. Last fall when we went to Asheville, NC and spent October in the Blue Ridge/Smoky Mountains it was cool in the mornings (low 40's) and then by afternoon low 60's..... but would drop again once sun went down. Some days drizzly and damp, but other days like up on top of Mount Mitchell it was sunshine, but the wind was howling. We would have days where it got to be mid 60's, sunshine and we didn't need a coat at all.. Do you think our water resistant coats that we have now would be okay? Do we need to invest in waterproof shoes also or just take a couple pair of good walking shoes? Ugh!!

Do we need to invest in waterproof shoes also or just take a couple pair of good walking shoes? Ugh!!

I have only brought athletic shoes. I have some Keen's waterproof boots that I brought to work Friday due to the weather but only carried them into work with me and carried them home. I usually don't wear them that much at home - they spend more time sitting in my car just in case I get stuck somewhere. I have never brought them to Alaska.

I know some spray their shoes with some spray. I have been probably 10 weeks in Alaska and haven't bothered. Only one cruise was the weather incredibly ugly. Most of the time the end of May and June is pretty nice in Alaska.

If you were from a hot, dry southern state and needed to buy clothes specially, that looks like a good jacket. Since you already have suitable clothing for the conditions, I wouldn't buy anything unless your current coats are starting to need repair/replacement. A breathable waterproof is definitely what you need if you're going to be outside all day regardless of weather - but you're cruising, with a nice warm ship to get back to and a bus/boat/building nearby for shelter unless you're planning some lengthy hikes. Even if it's bucketing and your water-resistant starts getting damp, it'll have a chance to dry out overnight - and you can easily find disposable ponchos or even a cheap extra jacket in the ports to fling on.

Personally it's wet feet I hate the most, so I'd be inclined to proof a pair of footwear or bring waterproof ones if you have them, despite Coral being quite correct that it's not likely to be a requirement unless you are sploshing around in deep puddles. If your planned excursions are in ports, or on buses, what you have should be plenty good enough.

I live in Wyoming and we don't get buckets of rain either. Rather than buy expensive rain gear that won't get used once we are home, I'm just going to pick up a cheap rain poncho at WalMart. (Maybe 2, since they are cheap they could get torn.) That should keep me dry if it DOES pour and let me stick with the water-resistant stuff that I know I can use at home.

I'll tell you at the end of May how my plan worked out. ;)

Only a suggestion, I don't get too involved in thinking about this. IF you happen to be open to it, take a look at Good Will Salvation Army etc. I am no advocate of running out purchasing stuff for a single trip.

My jacket is a Target- probably double oversize, *ugly) lined nylon type of coat, long and roomy. I think it was $35/40? Did have to replace my old one finally when the zipper broke, faded, rough shape anyway.

I usually have a sweatshirt jacket on underneath, and when out during extended sea days (hours), I'll have a sweatshirt on as well. I don't get caught up in waterproof etc, what I do want is quick drying which this is.

Loads of people do just fine with the $20 Alaska jackets that line the racks in Ketchikan- the first stop where those "summer" travelers figure out it's not the Caribbean. :)

I live in Wyoming and we don't get buckets of rain either. Rather than buy expensive rain gear that won't get used once we are home, I'm just going to pick up a cheap rain poncho at WalMart. (Maybe 2, since they are cheap they could get torn.) That should keep me dry if it DOES pour and let me stick with the water-resistant stuff that I know I can use at home.

I'll tell you at the end of May how my plan worked out. ;)

If you were from a hot, dry southern state and needed to buy clothes specially, that looks like a good jacket. Since you already have suitable clothing for the conditions, I wouldn't buy anything unless your current coats are starting to need repair/replacement. A breathable waterproof is definitely what you need if you're going to be outside all day regardless of weather - but you're cruising, with a nice warm ship to get back to and a bus/boat/building nearby for shelter unless you're planning some lengthy hikes. Even if it's bucketing and your water-resistant starts getting damp, it'll have a chance to dry out overnight - and you can easily find disposable ponchos or even a cheap extra jacket in the ports to fling on.

Personally it's wet feet I hate the most, so I'd be inclined to proof a pair of footwear or bring waterproof ones if you have them, despite Coral being quite correct that it's not likely to be a requirement unless you are sploshing around in deep puddles. If your planned excursions are in ports, or on buses, what you have should be plenty good enough.

What we have planned right.... in Vancouver we'll have 1 1/2 days, touring around Stanley Park, Capilanno Bridges, Gastown, Chinatown etc.... Then we're going to spend a full day in Victoria, BC and using Harbour Air for transportation with a tour around Burchart Gardens and then the rest of our time will be in the Inner Harbour area, Fishermans Wharf, Chinatown etc...

While on the cruise, in Ketchikan we're planning to do the Bering Sea Crab Fishermans Tour (Aleutian Ballard), then hang around port (Totem Bight Park if time), Creek street etc. In Juneau, we're doing the Taku Lodge Flightseeing and Salmon Bake excursion and then walk around port, Mt. Roberts tram. In Skagway we're either going to do the tour with Dyea Dave or on our own with rental we have reserved. (Undecided at this point). We'll drive to at least Emerald Lake and back, then probably stop at the Gold Rush Cemetery, Lower Reid Falls and wander the main drag and museums. The Glacier Days (Bay and Hubbard) could go either way....it could be bright sunshine, calm and kind of warm or it could be cold, breezy, cloudy, drizzly and miserable. If it should be cold, then we'll just stay out as long as we can on deck and then go indoors to warm up. We'll layer up under our coats and will bring our usual Iowa hats, gloves, ear protection etc....just in case.

Post cruise, we're spending time in the Mat-Su Valley...planning to trek Matanuska Glacier, Horseback riding Knik River, touring Independence Mine, Talkeetna with possible jet boat trip. In Seward, we're doing the Kenai Fjord Park Tour (8 1/2 hour)....that potentially could be another cold day but there will be a warm cabin to go into to warm up. Also going to do a raft float trip down the Kenai River. Since we won't be shooting rapids hopefully it will also be a dry day and we won't get soaked sitting in the raft.....but a good poncho would keep us pretty dry.

I guess having good, warm and dry footwear is the key....once your feet get wet and cold, it's difficult to bounce back from that and you can be pretty miserable. We may invest in some waterproof Keens, or Merrill's walking shoes and bring along a good pair of regular athletic shoes for those beautiful dry sunshiney days!

Any other recommendations or pointers from those that have been there, done that would be greatly appreciated! Thanks for everyone's comments so far.....I welcome feedback as this is our first cruise ever, and our first and possibly only chance we'll get to Alaska so want to be like a boy scout..... prepared at all times!

Only a suggestion, I don't get too involved in thinking about this. IF you happen to be open to it, take a look at Good Will Salvation Army etc. I am no advocate of running out purchasing stuff for a single trip.

My jacket is a Target- probably double oversize, *ugly) lined nylon type of coat, long and roomy. I think it was $35/40? Did have to replace my old one finally when the zipper broke, faded, rough shape anyway.

I usually have a sweatshirt jacket on underneath, and when out during extended sea days (hours), I'll have a sweatshirt on as well. I don't get caught up in waterproof etc, what I do want is quick drying which this is.

Loads of people do just fine with the $20 Alaska jackets that line the racks in Ketchikan- the first stop where those "summer" travelers figure out it's not the Caribbean. :)

Thanks BQ.....I'm probably over reacting and I really don't want to go out and purchase a bunch of new or lug a bunch of stuff we'll never wear. We will be gone for 2 weeks though and the only way for laundry is to send out mid-week on NCL and have them laundered. We'll also probably do laundry our first post cruise day in Palmer before settling down in Hatchers Pass for the night.

We have both Good Will here and Salvation Army and will start stalking them weekly to see if I can come across something! Thanks for the tip!

What we have planned right....<snip>

It sounds like you'll be in and out of vehicles a lot then, with really just the horse ride & glacier hike - and to a lesser extent walking time around Stanley Park - where if the weather really sucks a more expensive coat would definitely improve things. Even the latter you can choose to do indoor activities on a bad weather day as much as possible.

Aside from footwear, the only thing I'd be inclined to consider is perhaps a longer jacket or even a real coat if you don't already have one. Riding in the rain, whether bike or horse, your bum and front of thighs get wet with jackets - most unpleasant, especially the wet bum!

There are pretty cheap plastic slickers on Amazon that come down to mid-thigh, like this one. Anything longer would be impractical on the bike (getting caught in rear spokes) but this length should give you decent bum coverage whether you're on a horse or a bike - and if you're short enough that it is in danger of getting caught, at that price cutting the bottom off with scissors shouldn't be traumatic. I'm dubious about claims of 'breathable fabric' at this price-point, but as long as you're touring at leisurely pace rather than hustling and getting sweaty, the lack of breathability shouldn't be a big deal.

Edited by martincath
spelling