Cannes - Sainte-Marguerite island?

Huntingdon1701

Hi All,

I'm visiting Cannes on the Epic in October and was thinking about the trip over to Sainte-Marguerite island. The booking point for the ferry seems to be more or less where the tenders drop you off, which looks straightforward. I was also interested in the maritime museum there, but can't tell if it has information in English as well as French (my French is dismal despite the best efforts of my French teacher).

Has anyone done that and got any advice or tips?

Thanks

I posted this recently on another thread.

Round trip is 13.5 euros for adults and 9.5 euros for kids. It is a 15-20 minute boat ride from Cannes. Take a look:

http://www.trans-cote-azur.co.uk/can...marguerite.php

Check the schedule for October. That is a bit late in the season, but a really interesting place and quite pretty.

It has been quite a while since I went to the island. The museum was small but very interesting. I don't recall if the signs were translated or not since that is not a concern for me. There might have been a brochure or sheet in English. Chances are they do have a lot more since then. I do recommend the trip.

Hi All,

I'm visiting Cannes on the Epic in October and was thinking about the trip over to Sainte-Marguerite island. The booking point for the ferry seems to be more or less where the tenders drop you off, which looks straightforward. I was also interested in the maritime museum there, but can't tell if it has information in English as well as French (my French is dismal despite the best efforts of my French teacher).

Has anyone done that and got any advice or tips?

Thanks

I was there last July and on checking my photos I found some of the Roman cistern and museum and these had information in English.

There was also the Fort where the man from the Iron Mask was held on the island. This also had information in various languages including English. The frescoes on the walls of the cells, which also held other prisoners were good and the story behind some of the other political prisoners interesting.

To be honest I preferred St Honorat as it was smaller and prettier for me, with an interesting old ruin I could explore and climb up, but St Marguerite is still worth a visit.

Julie

To be honest I preferred St Honorat as it was smaller and prettier for me, with an interesting old ruin I could explore and climb up, but St Marguerite is still worth a visit.

Julie

Julie,

I am curious now. Ages ago there was a boat that would take you to both islands from either Cannes or Juan-les-Pins. I understand that now you must take separate boats from Cannes to visit each of them, but I am not sure, so you would have to return to Cannes and take a separate ferry to the other island. Not a big problem since it is such a short ride, but it is only about 5 minutes from one island to the other. How did you visit both islands? Two separate trips? Private excursion that included both?

Julie,

I am curious now. Ages ago there was a boat that would take you to both islands from either Cannes or Juan-les-Pins. I understand that now you must take separate boats from Cannes to visit each of them, but I am not sure, so you would have to return to Cannes and take a separate ferry to the other island. Not a big problem since it is such a short ride, but it is only about 5 minutes from one island to the other. How did you visit both islands? Two separate trips? Private excursion that included both?

Hi Marazul,

You are correct there is no ferry connecting both. We were staying in Cannes so we got the earliest Ferry about 9am and went to Saint Honorat and explored the island. We then returned to Cannes which is a short ride back. Had a yummy lunch of Pissaladiere at a little cafe nearby, then caught the ferry over to Saint Marguerite. We were able to buy a combined Ferry ticket for the two islands the day before.

I read you are doing Alaska this year, have a great time. We are going in July and looking forward to it. Bit of a contrast in temperature though from last year's holiday to this year.

It was quite hot on the islands so taking water is a good idea, especially if you plan on walking around the islands. Places to purchase water is really only restricted to one area on both islands.

Julie

Hi Marazul,

You are correct there is no ferry connecting both. We were staying in Cannes so we got the earliest Ferry about 9am and went to Saint Honorat and explored the island. We then returned to Cannes which is a short ride back. Had a yummy lunch of Pissaladiere at a little cafe nearby, then caught the ferry over to Saint Marguerite. We were able to buy a combined Ferry ticket for the two islands the day before.

I read you are doing Alaska this year, have a great time. We are going in July and looking forward to it. Bit of a contrast in temperature though from last year's holiday to this year.

Julie

Thanks, Julie. We will have to go back to the Lerins on our next trip to Nice. It has been a while since we visited the islands and they were really pleasant. And do I love pissaladiere! We need to plan our next Riviera trip soon.

Yes, you are right. We are going to Alaska with friends and family this June. The cruise will be fun and we are keeping our fingers crossed for decent weather. But that is a one off. Back to our usual travels after that.

Happy cruising!

M