How to get to Appia antica

maggie cruises

we are fairly well versed in the map of Rome and last time we did the catacombs we had Rome cabs for the day with Stefano himself!!!!!!!

So no issue getting to and from the catacombs but last time we didn't have time to stroll the Via Appia Antica

So...as we really don't care for buses but dont mind metro and taxi..

My plan is to metro to the baths of Caracalla and visit and then somehow get to the appia antica where we may just stroll or may visit one of the catacombs again depending which one is open etc

How should we get to the Appia Antica from the baths ? Bus (ugh) or will we be able to hail a cab at the baths? (My Preference of course)

Dd says uber but I'm inclined to save my data and battery strength. Lol

Return? Do you think cabs will be available in that direction? This is perhaps my concern. Getting back. Lol

Also if we do take a bus....how do we pay? 3 of us. In coin Euro or do we get a ticket somewhere?

Funny how I've tried to avoid the buses on all my numerous trips to Rome! My kids that studied there did the same!!! Lol

I really have no idea how to pay for a bus.

This is early July btw so hot hot hot

Thanks

It depends.

I would take the info with you on using the bus to get there and back, just in case.

I doubt you could just 'hail' a cab at the Baths of Caracalla, as taxis normally pick up passengers only at taxi stands, unless called. You could perhaps ask the person in the ticket kiosk at the Baths of Caracalla to call a cab for you...

....but then that also poses a problem of how and where you'd get picked up after visiting Appia Antica. What part of the road are you aiming to visit? The best area for walking is past the catacombs. Again, you could walk out along the road for a while and then walk back to where the catacombs and the very large Tomb of Cecilia Metella is located -- perhaps you can get someone at one of those sites to call a taxi. Or if your taxi from earlier speaks English well enough you could ask them to meet you at the Tomb of C.M. at a certain time.

By the way, if you visit the Baths of Caracalla, save your ticket. It entitles you to also visit the Tomb of Cecilia Metella, and it's worth the few minutes it takes to see the inside.

(It also includes the Villa dei Quintili, which is farther out the Via Appia, if you think you'll get that far....)

Definitely bring a map with you when you go.

Ok so assuming I take a cab from my hotel to the area near the catacombs mentioned above ... I'll check to make sure that catacomb is open and giving tours that day of course....

Then after that tour we will walk a bit and then make our way back..

I'm thinking I could either...

grab a cab that is dropping someone else off ( we will do this little excursion early btw)

Ask the guy at the catacomb desk to call us a cab as I recall they were very helpful as the catacombs is a religious site

Or actually wait for a bus and if we do that just how do we pay for the bus?

Coin or pass? If it's a pre purchased pass/ticket where would we get this? I'm thinking this might be the only time we use the bus

Will a metro tix also work?

I know my hotel will have this info but it doesn't hurt to have the logistics understood in advance

Thanks

Or actually wait for a bus and if we do that just how do we pay for the bus?

Coin or pass? If it's a pre purchased pass/ticket where would we get this? I'm thinking this might be the only time we use the bus

Will a metro tix also work?

I know my hotel will have this info but it doesn't hurt to have the logistics understood in advance

Thanks

The tickets for buses are the same as for the metro. So if you use the metro anyway, grab an extra ticket at some point and keep it with you just in case. You can also buy them at a tabaccheria and sometimes at kiosks where newspapers are sold. I think in a pinch bus drivers are supposed to take cash and give you a ticket, but I've never tried it. Be sure you validate the ticket once you get on the bus.

As I recall, there are a couple of different bus stops along the road, not all of them are right in front of the catacombs/Toms of C.M. Don't worry overmuch about what bus number. Just look for one headed in the direction of Rome; most will end up at the Circo Massimo or Colosseo metro station at some point (look at the signs, the stops are listed). From there you can get on the metro or otherwise navigate back to your hotel.

Having the extra metro ticket is a good idea thanks

My girls want to do different stuff this trip so the stroll on the Appia Antica meets the test!!

We are also going out to Ostia as well and taking the train to Orvieto for a day

We have never done the baths so we will do Caracalla this time

We have covered many of the great churches but missed the San Clemente crypts due to siesta time there lol so that's on the list again

Tivoli and hadriens villa on an organized excursion is also a possibility

Looking at opera tix also and will explore the trastevere area this time too

Any other thoughts for us? My 7th time to Rome and the kids ages 16 and 22, 3rd and 4th times

Oh how funny I have a twin!!!

I'm not surprised though because over the last few summers lots of my sons and daughters friends have been doing trips like this their parents and these kids are all around the same ages and lots of families are traveling with college grads in their early 20's too

Lots of Italophiles out there I guess

I actually have never been to the lake bracciano area but would like to someday but after this trip we are moving in a different direction geographically

We recently moved from Alaska but never did a cruise there so when we go back to visit that's a possibility

Oh how funny I have a twin!!!

I'm not surprised though because over the last few summers lots of my sons and daughters friends have been doing trips like this their parents and these kids are all around the same ages and lots of families are traveling with college grads in their early 20's too

Lots of Italophiles out there I guess

......and with children exactly the same ages and sex, who have been to school in Italy. AND the exact same manner of writing posts. AND a big supporter of Rome Cabs.

How very...... unlikely. But whatever, I'm done.

Ok but lots of kids study in Italy and my kids and friends have all done it. Prague is big for study abroad too and one kid did this also

Of course I'm a big fan of Rome cabs because I found them here on cc of course.

As for the ages, well I'm not sure why that is other than to say it's a great age for kids to travel abroad Teens and young adults are a great demographic for this

Sorry you think I'm lying but thanks for your info about the bus ticket anyway