Stockholm Tour

We booked a tour with a local through Lokafy. There aren't that many tours operated in Stockholm & most that are, are a tad expensive.

Your best bet would be public transportation.

We booked a tour with a local through Lokafy. There aren't that many tours operated in Stockholm & most that are, are a tad expensive.

Your best bet would be public transportation.

Thanks for responding. It amazes me that Stockholm doesn't have more tours. I've been studying how to use public transportation from stadsgarden to vasa, Gamla Stan and City hall. I'm still not sure how to make it all work.

I used Alla Tours and have just reviewed it in the main NCL forum. It took in all of those, although we were a bit rushed for time having docked in Nynashamn rather than Stockholm. If you dock directly in Stockholm then it shouldn't be much of an issue doing it on your own.

I tried booking a tour through Alla Tours but they would only take us on if we found an additional 6 people to join us.

Surprised we found Lokafy, everything else was ridiculously priced.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I tried booking a tour through Alla Tours but they would only take us on if we found an additional 6 people to join us.

Surprised we found Lokafy, everything else was ridiculously priced.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Our roll call tended to group together on that, if you wanted to try getting people together.

We are doing a pre-cruise stay in Stockholm. Trying to squeeze in Vasa and Gamla Stan in the morning before we dock. We are doing the tram from the hotel to Vasa, and then taking a ferry across the harbor to Gamla Stan before walking back to our hotel. Doesn't look too daunting.

It sounds silly but we went to the information desk at vasa and asked them how to get to Skansen. Then we asked the information desk at Skansen how to get to the history museum. At the history museum they gave us directions to the armory, which was in galma stan. It all worked out great, and we had a 3 year old in tow. We rode a train, a tram, a bus and one stop on the hoho boat since it ran directly from the cruise ship to vasa.

Did anyone use a tour company instead of the cruise ship excursion?

Can anyone tell me a very, very easy way see Vasa, Gamla Stan and City Hall on our own? We are confused by the train etc.

Thanks for responding. It amazes me that Stockholm doesn't have more tours.

I've been studying how to use public transportation from stadsgarden to vasa, Gamla Stan and City hall.

I'm still not sure how to make it all work.

What train? If your ship berths at Stadsgården there is no train involved. Plenty of info here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2312690

Having just spent 3 days in Stockholm I can say that it is easy to get around Stockholm on public transport, a 24 hour pass is about £10 and gives you unlimited trips on the busses, tram's and trains. As for the Old Town, depending on where your ship docks it's possible to walk to it in less than 20 mins.

Be aware that around the bridge that takes you to the Old Town there is a great deal of building work in progess.

Would suggest that you look online to download an ap about the Stockholm transport system.

What train? If your ship berths at Stadsgården there is no train involved. Plenty of info here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2312690

Thank you for sending the link! (I meant to write "tram" instead of train.) My friend is in her 70's and it's hard for her to walk distances; unfortunately, she denies that she has mobility issues. I'm attempting to be prepared and make things as easy as I can.

Having just spent 3 days in Stockholm I can say that it is easy to get around Stockholm on public transport, a 24 hour pass is about £10 and gives you unlimited trips on the busses, tram's and trains. As for the Old Town, depending on where your ship docks it's possible to walk to it in less than 20 mins.

Be aware that around the bridge that takes you to the Old Town there is a great deal of building work in progess.

Would suggest that you look online to download an ap about the Stockholm transport system.

Tokyo, thank you for responding! I didn't know if the pass would be worth it for one day, but it sounds like it might be. I wasn't able to figure out the ticket machine in Germany. Perhaps I can purchase a pass from tourist info. We will be docked at Stadsgården. Is there a detour between our ship and Gamla Stan?

It sounds silly but we went to the information desk at vasa and asked them how to get to Skansen. Then we asked the information desk at Skansen how to get to the history museum. At the history museum they gave us directions to the armory, which was in galma stan. It all worked out great, and we had a 3 year old in tow. We rode a train, a tram, a bus and one stop on the hoho boat since it ran directly from the cruise ship to vasa.

You sound like me--asking for directions! ☺ Did you buy a 24 hour pass? Our ship docks at Stadsgården Berth 160--I think. I'm trying to plan ahead for the easiest way to minimize walking.

Tokyo, thank you for responding! I didn't know if the pass would be worth it for one day, but it sounds like it might be. I wasn't able to figure out the ticket machine in Germany. Perhaps I can purchase a pass from tourist info. We will be docked at Stadsgården. Is there a detour between our ship and Gamla Stan?

I was not in Stockholm on a cruise ship, but I have done the walk twice when on a cruise. From what I saw it is still possible to walk from the dock to the Old Town. The correct name for the pass is Travel card. You can buy one at most metro stations. If you do walk to Gamla Stan, when you have finished your sightseeing there is a metro station called Gamla Stan which has connections to most of Stockholm. I would advise you to do some online research to find a decent map of the transport system in Stockholm. With a decent map and a little planning you would be able to see more of Stockholm than on a tour. Also, it would be cheaper. It is possible that your cruise line may run a shuttle bus to the Old Town.

From Stadsgården 165/167, you would be very close to the HOHO boat stop. You just need to follow the red paint on the concrete floor to the HOHo boat stop. They run direct shuttles to Vasa and Galma Stan until 10 am, and after that run a full shuttle program. 3 years ago, one company offered one stop ride tickets that were fairly affordable, and got you to Vasa quickly before it fills up. I don't think they offer this anymore though since it didn't appear on their website last year.

We purchased a Stockholm Card because we visited a lot of expensive museums and it included public transportation, but it has been discontinued. There is currently a Stockholm Pass and you can see if it is worth it at https://www.stockholmpass.com , but the Stockholm Card wasn't worth it unless you visited a lot of expensive museums and I'm guessing the Stockholm Pass might be the same way. It looks like the Stockholm Card includes HOHO busses and boats, so that might solve your initial transportation question - it is very fast to go from your dock to Vasa on a HOHO boat - that's the first stop it makes. But you should price it out and see if it's worth it. Good luck - Stockholm is beautiful!

From Stadsgården 165/167, you would be very close to the HOHO boat stop. You just need to follow the red paint on the concrete floor to the HOHo boat stop. They run direct shuttles to Vasa and Galma Stan until 10 am, and after that run a full shuttle program. 3 years ago, one company offered one stop ride tickets that were fairly affordable, and got you to Vasa quickly before it fills up. I don't think they offer this anymore though since it didn't appear on their website last year.

We purchased a Stockholm Card because we visited a lot of expensive museums and it included public transportation, but it has been discontinued. There is currently a Stockholm Pass and you can see if it is worth it at https://www.stockholmpass.com , but the Stockholm Card wasn't worth it unless you visited a lot of expensive museums and I'm guessing the Stockholm Pass might be the same way. It looks like the Stockholm Card includes HOHO busses and boats, so that might solve your initial transportation question - it is very fast to go from your dock to Vasa on a HOHO boat - that's the first stop it makes. But you should price it out and see if it's worth it. Good luck - Stockholm is beautiful!

Thank you for sharing! The cruise line offers a panoramic bus tour which is included in our cruise price and will drop us off in Old Town. Do you know if it's a long walk from Old Town to where I would pick up a ferry to Vasa?

Here's the HOHO ferry and bus map: https://www.stromma.se/globalassets/sweden/stockholm/product_maps/hopon-hopoff_bus/hoho_map_11_may.jpg . They have a stop in the Old Town.

However, you probably want to get to Vasa first since it opens early and gets crowded early. They limit admission to ensure the boat isn't damaged by CO by too many visitors inside the museum at once. So, ideally you would either take the HOHO boat or another form of transport directly to Vasa first. If you are getting the HOHO ticket (either independently or via Stockholm pass I'm not sure you'd need a cruise tour of the city, since it's nicer on the ferry but I would imagine the HOHO bus would have the same route as the panoramic ship tour, but you can check on the map.

This has been the one stop that we are hoping to do on our own. At present we are supposed to dock in Stockholm, so our hope was to find the hop-on-hop off bus (is a pick up near the pier???) and take it through the route and get off and go into the VASA. From there we were thinking we would walk to the new Viking museum and then walk over to the ABBA museum. After that find the hop-on-hop off bus to get back to the pier. Anyone familiar with Stockholm who will know if that would work? I don't think the Stockholm pass covers the Viking museum or ABBA so I am assuming we would just have to pay for all 4 things individually. Any suggestions on this would be appreciated. Is there anything else we absolutely should try to see if we do the hop-on route? If we end up not docking in Stockholm then our plan B would be to hope to join an ALLA tour at the last second and do as much as we could.

Tony, the HoHo bus isn't a very good choice. It will likely get stuck in traffic. Especially whit the Slussen construction work. As for the HoHo boats I am not sure if they still are doing the Vasa shuttle and I also don't think that you can buy single stop ticket anymore, you have to buy a 24-hour ticket.

Hi Tokyo, we are also spending 2 full days in Stockholm, arriving on August 31 before our cruise leaves in the late afternoon on September 2. We are staying at the Sheraton which I was told was a good location. Do you have any recommendations on how to schedule our time? Is there a 48 hour pass we should buy? Suggestions on how to get from the airport to the hotel for a group of 6? Any and all suggestions/advice is greatly appreciated [emoji3]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Here's the HOHO ferry and bus map: https://www.stromma.se/globalassets/sweden/stockholm/product_maps/hopon-hopoff_bus/hoho_map_11_may.jpg . They have a stop in the Old Town.

However, you probably want to get to Vasa first since it opens early and gets crowded early. They limit admission to ensure the boat isn't damaged by CO by too many visitors inside the museum at once. So, ideally you would either take the HOHO boat or another form of transport directly to Vasa first. If you are getting the HOHO ticket (either independently or via Stockholm pass I'm not sure you'd need a cruise tour of the city, since it's nicer on the ferry but I would imagine the HOHO bus would w2have the same route as the panoramic ship tour, but you can check on the map.

Kitkat, thanks for the map and your help! I've been debating if to do the ship's included panoramic drive!

Oh - sorry - I think Deschichado62 might be right

Desdichado62

Yesterday 03:36 PM

Tony, the HoHo bus isn't a very good choice. It will likely get stuck in traffic. Especially whit the Slussen construction work. As for the HoHo boats I am not sure if they still are doing the Vasa shuttle and I also don't think that you can buy single stop ticket anymore, you have to buy a 24-hour ticket.

I emailed the HOHO boat company to see if they still run a shuttle to Vasa early in the morning, but their website doesn't indicate this currently. In which case, the public transportation system is quite good and fast, so unless the Stockholm Pass makes entering the museums and attractions you'd like to visit cheaper you might be better off just buying a 24 hour transportation card and using only public transportation during your visit. The HOHO bus is probably cheaper than a ship tour, but I'd agree it might get stuck in traffic but that is up to you if that's something you'd like to do. The HOHO boat is nice to ride, but there are public ferries that are also supposed to be nice too (but I don't know if they stop right by your pier like the HOHO boat did). We didn't do a bus tour and just traversed most of the city by various forms of public transportation (public bus, subway, tram and one stop on the HOHO boat when that was an option) and all of that worked out well.

One thing that might help if you are worried about transport could be to email each attraction and ask them for help with directions. I wrote to Skansen initially since we only wanted to visit their aquarium, and Skansen is large and has several different entrances so I needed to know which entrance and which public transport stop was closest to this entrance and they were very helpful.

I'm sorry I was confusing since things changed since I was there 3 years ago, but I do think you should be fine with public transportation. Stockholm is a beautiful city, and I'm sure you will have a wonderful time no matter what you decide to do.

We had an overnight stop in Stockholm and bought a 24 hour Travel Card. We used it on buses, tram and ferries. It was very easy to get around and everybody was helpful.

We took the bus to the Vasa museum and it stopped close by. The pass was also valid for the Metro, but we didn't bother with that. You can buy bus tickets at the bus stop with a CC if you don't want a Travel Card.