Bergen Questions Answered 2017

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

** Please post your recommendations ONLY in response to request...do not start a new thread. Thanks!
Northern Europe & Baltic Sea
Aarhus, Bergen, Copenhagen, Gdansk, Greenland, Helsinki, Oslo, Reykjavik, Riga, St. Petersburg, Stockholm, Tallinn
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 08:55 PM.
Bergen, Norway
501 Posts
Joined Nov 2008
Originally posted by Carl and Ellie
Thank you for the information. I was worried that it would take a long time. We will be on the Disney Magic.
Disney Magic is docking at Bontelabo (on 9th June 2017)...which is one of the 'easy' docks. It's a simple 10 minute walk along the waterfront to the starting point for your trip up Fløyen. There are signs as you leave the dock area pointing you in the right direction
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Take a look at my hobby blog to see loads of cruise ship photos in and around the beautiful city of Bergen:
http://shipsinbergen.blogspot.no/

Upcoming Cruises:
MSC Opera - November 2017 - 7 Night Cuba & Caribbean

Past Cruises:
Navigator of the Seas - November 2016 - 13 Night Westbound Transatlantic
Ventura - January 2016 - 2 Night to Belgium
Queen Mary 2 - January 2015 - 7 Night Eastbound Transatlantic (full review here)
Aurora - December 2013 - 10 Night Northern Europe
Crown Princess - Sep 2013 - 4 Night Northern Europe
Costa Fortuna - June 2013 - 7 Night Baltic
Liberty of the Seas - May 2012 - 5 Night Western Med
Boudicca - December 2011 - 3 Night to Belgium
Vision of the Seas - April 2011 - 14 Night Eastbound Transatlantic
Brilliance of the Seas - March 2009 - 11 Night Eastern Med
Independence of the Seas - May 2008 - 4 Night Northern Europe
Aurora - December 2006 - 2 Night to Belgium
Bergen, Norway
501 Posts
Joined Nov 2008
Originally posted by Wendy The Wanderer
Wow, what a great thread. Thank you so much for providing all of this detailed information.

We're not travelling until next July (2018), but I'm researching what we can do on our own versus doing ship's tours. We're in Bergen for a long day (0800-2300), and have an evening performance at Grieg Hall which no doubt will start after dinner.

But I'm thinking during the day we could just walk around Bergen. We are older, and my husband is not terribly energetic any more. He can certainly walk, but not far, and not up hills. Possibly a funicular ride in the mix would be nice, or the shorter fjord boat ride fof osterfjord, mentioned above. How feasible is it to just get off the boat and walk around, possibly taking buses when required? The medieval section for sure, the fish market? We're there on a Friday.

Thanks so much again, and look forward to asking more specific questions perhaps this winter!
It sounds like you've got a great plan in the making! Grieghallen is a wonderful concert hall.

One piece of advice I would give is that going DIY will give you so much more (both time and money) than doing a tour with your ship, especially if you're looking to explore Bergen itself.

With regard to the Osterfjord trip, I actually tried that out over the weekend as I had family visiting me in town, and it was a really great tour. I can't speak for how it compares to others, but I will be posting a full review on my blog soon, and would definitely recommend it

Any other questions, just fire away!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Take a look at my hobby blog to see loads of cruise ship photos in and around the beautiful city of Bergen:

Upcoming Cruises:

Past Cruises:
Queen Mary 2 - January 2015 - 7 Night Eastbound Transatlantic (full review here)
Bergen, Norway
501 Posts
Joined Nov 2008
Originally posted by jkadventures
We are arriving in Bergen on 29 June on the Crown. We love the idea of the hike up to Mt Floyen and walking around while up there. Is it far to where the hike starts from where we will be docked?
I want to add our thanks for this wonderful thread!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Hi You will be docking at Jekteviksterminalen, which is just a little bit further away from the historic waterfront and Mt. Fløyen. It is in the same secure port area as Dokkskjæreskaien Vest, so to the best of my knowledge the below information that I posted previously will also apply to you

Originally posted by ShipsInBergen
Hi You will be docking at Dokkskjæreskaien Vest, which is a little further from the city centre. There will be a shuttle bus to take you out of the main port area. I've read different accounts of exactly where this drops you off, but the 'worst' I've heard is still only around an 800m (half-mile) walk through town to the funicular stop. You should have no trouble locating this Even these 'futher away' cruise ship berths are very central in comparison to those in many other cities.

I hope you have a great visit to Bergen
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Upcoming Cruises:

Past Cruises:
Bergen, Norway
501 Posts
Joined Nov 2008
Originally posted by FlCatLover
We will be on the Koningsdam on July 20. Where will we be docking and will getting to the funicular and fish market be difficult from there?
You will be docking at Bontelabo, which is one of the more central berths. It's an easy 10 minute walk from the gangway to the historic waterfront, and another 5 minutes to the funicular station
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Upcoming Cruises:

Past Cruises:
Bergen, Norway
501 Posts
Joined Nov 2008
Originally posted by lee8553
Hi, I'm going to be in Bergen 14/7, have checked the dock info & it seems we'll be @ Bontelabo 2,
is this one of the nearer or farther docks?
Looking at the maps etc. it seems we'll be fine just walking around by ourselves to the various sites. The ship docks @ 07.00 & we need to be back on board around 14.30, I'm assuming most places of interest won't open till 09.00 with the possible exception of the fish market ( I know Billingsgate in London opens @ 5am, but that's not exactly a tourist attraction!), so I think we may need to prioritise. I've tried going on trip adviser, but just seem to go round in circles, we'll almost certainly go to Bryggen, the fish market & on the funicular up Mt Floyen, plus I was also thinking or St Mary's or the cathedral & possibly the fort or Rosenkrantz tower. As we are a little limited on time & don't want to be rushing around, what would you suggest?
Bontelabo is one of the nearer docks, which buys you a bit more time (no need for a shuttle bus, and you can guarantee that if you start walking from town at, say, 14:15, you'll be back on board by 14:30

When it comes to recommendations, it's of course down to personal preference (and the weather on the day)! The city centre is relatively small, so it may well be possible to do everything you mention above without a mad panic. A stroll along Bryggen, a trip up and down Fløyen on the funicular and a browse at the fish market could all be done in a relaxing few hours, which gives you a couple of hours spare to take a look at the other places.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Upcoming Cruises:

Past Cruises:
237 Posts
Joined Sep 2004
Good Afternoon,

We will be arriving via NCL Jade on July 2, 2017. Looks like we will be docked outside of the main area. We would like to visit the Stave Church as well as taking the cable car (depending on the weather). Is there a tourist map of Bergen that notes the different points of interest? Or is it possible for you to direct us? Thank you for your assistance
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Ocala, FL
2,080 Posts
Joined Jul 2005
We were in Bergen several years ago and took the special bus to Mt Ulriken on a beautiful clear day. I see that they now have a zipline which looks interesting but I cannot see past the bottom of the zipline . Does one have to back up the mountain from there?
Also, we will be there on 17 August on Holland America Rotterdam. Do you know where that one docks?

Thank you so much for your help
Florida
173 Posts
Joined Sep 2010
Thanks! Really appreciate your response

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
50 plus cruises: Moore McCormack, Home Lines, Windjammer Barefoot, Carnival, NCL, HAL, Princess, Celebrity, Avalon
Bergen, Norway
501 Posts
Joined Nov 2008
Originally posted by source
Good Afternoon,

We will be arriving via NCL Jade on July 2, 2017. Looks like we will be docked outside of the main area. We would like to visit the Stave Church as well as taking the cable car (depending on the weather). Is there a tourist map of Bergen that notes the different points of interest? Or is it possible for you to direct us? Thank you for your assistance
There will be tourist maps given out for free at the cruise port. These cover all of the main points of interest in town. Getting out to see the Stave Church at Fantoft is relatively easy, but will probably be outside the range of these tourist maps. If you refer to my previous post #35 on this thread it gives you all the info you need to get from the centre to see the Stave Church
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Upcoming Cruises:

Past Cruises:
Bergen, Norway
501 Posts
Joined Nov 2008
Originally posted by mustgo
We were in Bergen several years ago and took the special bus to Mt Ulriken on a beautiful clear day. I see that they now have a zipline which looks interesting but I cannot see past the bottom of the zipline . Does one have to back up the mountain from there?
Also, we will be there on 17 August on Holland America Rotterdam. Do you know where that one docks?

Thank you so much for your help
The zipline up Ulriken looks fun (I haven't done it myself but some friends of mine have). It's not as dramatic as it might seem, though; about a 60-second ride, then you walk back to the main viewing/restaurant area at the top of Ulriken.

HAL Rotterdam on 17th August is docking at Skolten Nord, which is one of the 'easy' berths - just a few minutes strolling along the waterfront and you'll be right in the city centre
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Upcoming Cruises:

Past Cruises:
Bergen, Norway
501 Posts
Joined Nov 2008
Originally posted by flyboy3
We will be in Bergen on the Crown Princess on July 27. Where will we be docking?
Hi You'll be docking at Jekteviksterminalen, which requires a short shuttle bus to the city centre. Post #43 in this thread provides the info you need
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Upcoming Cruises:

Past Cruises:
Florida
204 Posts
Joined Feb 2009
You will be docking at Bontelabo, which is one of the more central berths. It's an easy 10 minute walk from the gangway to the historic waterfront, and another 5 minutes to the funicular station
Thank you! Can't wait.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Island Princess - Panama Canal 10/09
Coral Princess - Alaska 6/09
Ocala, FL
2,080 Posts
Joined Jul 2005
The zipline up Ulriken looks fun (I haven't done it myself but some friends of mine have). It's not as dramatic as it might seem, though; about a 60-second ride, then you walk back to the main viewing/restaurant area at the top of Ulriken.

Thanks so much for your answers
Sydney Australia
4,247 Posts
Joined Aug 2008
ShipsInBergen - this is a super thread. Thank you for putting in the time.

We have visited Bergen on a previous cruise visit and I loved the city. We did an organised walking tour from the ship through to the Mariakirken and on down into Bryggen then ended at the Hanseatic Museum - that is a fascinating place! Loved all that very old history of Norway.

That was half our day and we were then on our own so had plenty of time to go up the funicular and later walk around to the fish market and back to the ship.

I have noted details of the light rail route to get to the Fantoft Stave Church. This would suit us beautifully. However, I would also like to walk up to Skivebakken as I have seen this featured on another Bergen page I have subscribed to.

Is Festplassen still the best light rail stop to head for? How often do the trams run?

I would also like to mention that I tried to get to the English page for ship arrivals but every time I click the link for "Port arrival notification" it skips back to the home page in Norwegian. Am I trying to get to the wrong page?

We are not in Bergen until next year. Are ship arrivals up to August 2018 posted there yet? We are arriving on Serenade on 28 August. I like to plan ahead
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Valerie (posting) and Ian
Meet and Mingle

2016 20 Sept, Honolulu to Sydney, Radiance; 2016 9 Sept, Vancouver to Honolulu, Radiance; 2016 5 Jan, Sydney to Auckland, X Solstice; 2015 3 May 2015 Singapore to Dubai, Rhapsody; 17 May 2015 Dubai to Istanbul, Rhapsody; South Pacific, Rhapsody; 2014 Adriatic, Venice to Rome, X Silhouette; Holy Land, Rome to Rome, X Silhouette; 2014 Panama Canal, Legend; Transatlantic, Legend; Norwegian Fjords, Legend; 2013 Circumnavigation of Australia Radiance; 2012 South Pacific Rhapsody; 2012 Alaska ex Seattle Rhapsody; 2009 Sydney-Hawaii Rhapsody; 1979 Sydney to Tilbury line voyage Mikhail Lermontov; 1977 Sydney to Far East P&O Oriana

UPCOMING:
2018 26 Aug, Westbound Transatlantic, Serenade
Sydney Australia
4,247 Posts
Joined Aug 2008
One other thing I should mention is that Google Maps (certainly here in Australia) does not show the light rail stations (which I know are shown in other cities). I was able to 'find' the line and follow it to see where the line is in relation to Fantoft Stave Church and Edvard Grieg's house further along, but I do not know exactly where the stop is to plan the walk to each of these.

Also will I be able to do both the church and Grieg Museum on the one trip hopping on and off the light rain? We are in Bergen from 10:00-18:00, so obviously need to be back at the ship no later than 17:30, but would prefer 17:00.

Many thanks in advance.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Meet and Mingle

2016 20 Sept, Honolulu to Sydney, Radiance; 2016 9 Sept, Vancouver to Honolulu, Radiance; 2016 5 Jan, Sydney to Auckland, X Solstice; 2015 3 May 2015 Singapore to Dubai, Rhapsody; 17 May 2015 Dubai to Istanbul, Rhapsody; South Pacific, Rhapsody; 2014 Adriatic, Venice to Rome, X Silhouette; Holy Land, Rome to Rome, X Silhouette; 2014 Panama Canal, Legend; Transatlantic, Legend; Norwegian Fjords, Legend; 2013 Circumnavigation of Australia Radiance; 2012 South Pacific Rhapsody; 2012 Alaska ex Seattle Rhapsody; 2009 Sydney-Hawaii Rhapsody; 1979 Sydney to Tilbury line voyage Mikhail Lermontov; 1977 Sydney to Far East P&O Oriana

UPCOMING:
Connecticut
318 Posts
Joined Jul 2008
I have been on and can highly recommend Bergen Food Tours. It is a very small group with a most knowledgeable and entertaining guide. It is listed as 3 hours (ours went longer by mutual agreement) and you will see, sip, and taste Bergen like a local. We rarely book tours or excursions, preferring to mostly ramble on our own. But this tour is one of the best things we've ever done and worth every penny. 🙂
Bergen, Norway
501 Posts
Joined Nov 2008
Originally posted by I'm from Oz
ShipsInBergen - this is a super thread. Thank you for putting in the time.

We have visited Bergen on a previous cruise visit and I loved the city. We did an organised walking tour from the ship through to the Mariakirken and on down into Bryggen then ended at the Hanseatic Museum - that is a fascinating place! Loved all that very old history of Norway.

That was half our day and we were then on our own so had plenty of time to go up the funicular and later walk around to the fish market and back to the ship.

I have noted details of the light rail route to get to the Fantoft Stave Church. This would suit us beautifully. However, I would also like to walk up to Skivebakken as I have seen this featured on another Bergen page I have subscribed to.

Is Festplassen still the best light rail stop to head for? How often do the trams run?

I would also like to mention that I tried to get to the English page for ship arrivals but every time I click the link for "Port arrival notification" it skips back to the home page in Norwegian. Am I trying to get to the wrong page?

We are not in Bergen until next year. Are ship arrivals up to August 2018 posted there yet? We are arriving on Serenade on 28 August. I like to plan ahead
Originally posted by I'm from Oz
One other thing I should mention is that Google Maps (certainly here in Australia) does not show the light rail stations (which I know are shown in other cities). I was able to 'find' the line and follow it to see where the line is in relation to Fantoft Stave Church and Edvard Grieg's house further along, but I do not know exactly where the stop is to plan the walk to each of these.

Also will I be able to do both the church and Grieg Museum on the one trip hopping on and off the light rain? We are in Bergen from 10:00-18:00, so obviously need to be back at the ship no later than 17:30, but would prefer 17:00.

Many thanks in advance.
Hi Valerie I'll run through your questions in order...

- A stroll around Skivebakken should only take a few relaxed minutes, so when you head for the lightrail you can either get on at Byparken (right by Festplassen) or Nonneseter, which is only 1 minute down the line. These stops are both within a few hundred metres of Skivebakken.

- Bybanen (light rail) runs every 5-10 minutes throughout the day, so you won't be waiting long

- As far as I know Bergen Port only maintain the timetable page in Norwegian (link: http://bergenhavn.no/cruise/anlopsoversikt/). Hopefully the schedule information in the table still makes sense. The schedule is released one year ahead, so if you scroll down to the bottom of the page you'll see new ships added each day, all one year out. So you'll get your answer in a couple of months .

- English language information for the Bybanen (stops, timetables, etc.) can be found here: https://www.skyss.no/en/timetable-an...en-light-rail/

- You should have no trouble fitting all of your plans in one visit, but will most likely be well outside the 90-minute window for riding on a single ticket, so you will be best buying a day pass from the ticket machines (all explained in English on the machine's touch screens).

Hope this helps. Let me know if anything else comes to mind
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Upcoming Cruises:

Past Cruises:
Sydney Australia
4,247 Posts
Joined Aug 2008
Hi Valerie I'll run through your questions in order...

- A stroll around Skivebakken should only take a few relaxed minutes, so when you head for the lightrail you can either get on at Byparken (right by Festplassen) or Nonneseter, which is only 1 minute down the line. These stops are both within a few hundred metres of Skivebakken.

- Bybanen (light rail) runs every 5-10 minutes throughout the day, so you won't be waiting long

- As far as I know Bergen Port only maintain the timetable page in Norwegian (link: http://bergenhavn.no/cruise/anlopsoversikt/). Hopefully the schedule information in the table still makes sense. The schedule is released one year ahead, so if you scroll down to the bottom of the page you'll see new ships added each day, all one year out. So you'll get your answer in a couple of months .

- English language information for the Bybanen (stops, timetables, etc.) can be found here: https://www.skyss.no/en/timetable-an...en-light-rail/

- You should have no trouble fitting all of your plans in one visit, but will most likely be well outside the 90-minute window for riding on a single ticket, so you will be best buying a day pass from the ticket machines (all explained in English on the machine's touch screens).

Hope this helps. Let me know if anything else comes to mind
Thanks this helps me a lot with my planning.

However, I'm still seeking the exact location of the stops - on a map. So that we know where we have to go when we alight. I have noted that you suggested Paradis stop for the church, but I see there is a Fantoft stop too - without your guidance this is confusing if it is not possible to see where the stop is on a map.

I'm sure we will work it all out on the day and we will find a local tour map, though I have looked up my Bergen map from our last visit and that does not really help as it is only a city map. Obviously it does not go beyond the city.

I've also gleaned the information that your ticketing system is like ours in Sydney so after we have purchased the ticket we have to validate it on the light rail on boarding. Is this correct?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Meet and Mingle

UPCOMING: