Bergen Questions Answered 2017

Hei ShipsinBergen,

can you suggest anything for an afternoon in Bergen in February? We are planning to take the morning train from Oslo and should be in Bergen around 15:00 (unless of course NSB changes their schedule), our hotel is right around the corner (Scandic Byparken) from the train station and I am really just looking for something to do before dinner.

We have been to the Hanseatiske Museum/Bryggen/Fish Market, I have been to Fantoft Stavkirke (and I think it's closed to the public that early in the year?), the aquarium closes at 16:00 as we are in Bergen on a Friday. Sunset is around 17:30 so I guess Fløyen and Ulriken are out? Or do you think grabbing a bus to Haukelandsbakken and doing Ulriken that day would make sense (weather permitting of course)? It was on our agenda for the Saturday (as Hurtigruten departs late in winter) but we could move it to Friday. Do you know if Sky:skraperen restaurant is open all year and if they offer their "Ulriken by Night" all year round? Over priced lunch on Ulriken might actually be an option (if I promise DH Peppes for lunch on Saturday).

Also, can you recommend any hotels close to a Flybuss or Bybane stop (for the way back)? We stayed at Havnekontoret last time but I am unwilling to shell out 3000+ NOK for a night. We paid half of that last time (of course that was a decade ago) and enjoyed not having to drag our luggage through half of the city to catch the bus but the price just isn't worth it to us. Thanks :)

Hei :D

I think at that time of year you'll be a little limited; as far as I know, sky:scraperen restaurant is closed, but it may be worth contacting them to confirm. It's a great spot, and not really overpriced (at least not compared to Peppes ;p)

My suggestion would be for an indoor activity. If you're fans of the theatre then take a look at the programme for Den Nationale Scene. Grieghallen often has great classical concerts on, or there are plenty of little bars in town which often have good live music.

For a hotel on your way back, I would recommend Thon Hotel Orion...it's right by the waterfront at the end of Bryggen, and therefore about 50 metres from the first Flybus stop (added bonus: you're guaranteed a seat as you're on the bus first, then it's an easy 25-30min ride to the airport). Nightly rates for february seem to be around 1000-1500kr, and the breakfast is really decent. I've had family staying there before when there wasn't space in my apartment to put them all up, and they were very happy. Plus this hotel has just had a big refurbishment :)

As a slight aside, even though bybanen now goes all the way to the airport, it's a long (45-50min) ride, and a boring one at that. I've been avoiding it in favour of the more expensive but quicker and more comfortable flybus. I never thought I'd be saying that; I've been waiting ages for the better public transport link to come along, and now I'm shunning it!

Tusen takk, ShipsinBergen!

I will have a look at the Thon Hotel Orion, their webprice is indeed decent. 7 1/2 months out... who knows if a sale will come along somewhere on the way.

Grieghallen is a nice idea, I don't know if DH wants to suffer through a theater play in a foreign language (not matter if English or Norwegian, and I have to admit that my Norwegian is a bit rusty, jeg klarer meg men Ibsen paa Norsk er kansjke litt for vansklig). Good to know that bybanen might not be as good an option as I thought it would be. Sorry to hear that though.

[The other half loves Peppes' Thai Chicken pizza, who am I to stop him? It's a once a year / once every other year treat :D]

I definitely think you'll have a great time seeing Bergen without an official (expensive!) tour :) According to the current schedule, QE will be alongside from 08:00 to 17:00...of course this could change, but they do tend to stick to these times.

Schedule here...http://bergenhavn.no/cruise/anlopsoversikt/

Apologies for not thanking you sooner for your response but I didnt get an email from cruise critic regards

I definitely think you'll have a great time seeing Bergen without an official (expensive!) tour :) According to the current schedule, QE will be alongside from 08:00 to 17:00...of course this could change, but they do tend to stick to these times.

Schedule here...http://bergenhavn.no/cruise/anlopsoversikt/

Just took a look at the schedule looks like the port will be very busy that day 5 ships in port weare there for the shortest time but one of ships doesnt arrive until the afternoon

Tusen takk, ShipsinBergen!

I will have a look at the Thon Hotel Orion, their webprice is indeed decent. 7 1/2 months out... who knows if a sale will come along somewhere on the way.

Grieghallen is a nice idea, I don't know if DH wants to suffer through a theater play in a foreign language (not matter if English or Norwegian, and I have to admit that my Norwegian is a bit rusty, jeg klarer meg men Ibsen paa Norsk er kansjke litt for vansklig). Good to know that bybanen might not be as good an option as I thought it would be. Sorry to hear that though.

[The other half loves Peppes' Thai Chicken pizza, who am I to stop him? It's a once a year / once every other year treat :D]

Happy to help :)

You might get lucky with the hotel and some deals. In my recent experience the prices showing now are pretty good for Bergen centre...could be safest to book ahead. Maybe they have an email list that will let you know about any deals coming up? I remember a couple of years back my family got a double room for 599kr/night, but I think that may now be a price of the past...

Fair enough re: the Peppes treat...that is a good pizza :D

Apologies for not thanking you sooner for your response but I didnt get an email from cruise critic regards

Just took a look at the schedule looks like the port will be very busy that day 5 ships in port weare there for the shortest time but one of ships doesnt arrive until the afternoon

Yeah it will be a busy day, with 5 large ships in town. The two MSC ships are in at different times ('tagging in/out' of the same birth at 14:00). If you're exploring on foot it may be quite busy in the centre, but should be manageable.

The only thing to watch out for on these busy cruise ship days is a LONG queue for tickets to ride the funicular up Fløyen, if this is on your wishlist. I understand you can buy these online in advance, which at least cuts out the first long section of the queue (you may still have to wait in line to board, even once you have a ticket). My personal advice, if you are mobile, is to walk up; it's a bit steep in places, but on proper paths all the way, and even at a very gentle pace you should be at the top in under an hour, via some very pleasant woodland walking and extra little views along the way :).

ShipsinBergen, if we are planning on walking up and taking the funicular down, do you recommend we buy tickets on-line before we arrive (wondering if there are long lines at the top buying tickets). Also, is it easy to find the trail up from the funicular station? We are there next week on the Rotterdam, and I think it is the only ship in town. Thank you!!

ShipsinBergen, if we are planning on walking up and taking the funicular down, do you recommend we buy tickets on-line before we arrive (wondering if there are long lines at the top buying tickets). Also, is it easy to find the trail up from the funicular station? We are there next week on the Rotterdam, and I think it is the only ship in town. Thank you!!

I think you'll be fine buying tikets at the top. There are a couple of self-service machines, and I've never seen a queue for them, even on really busy days (as the vast majority buy return tickets at the bottom). They do sometimes get 'absorbed' by the queue to get on the actual funicular to head down, but this queue is never more than a few minutes long. Just join it, and when you pass the machines, quickly buy tickets. Or, option b)...be a bit cheeky and politely nudge your way through to the ticket machines, and queue from there ;).

To walk up, take the steps that you'll see either side of the Fløibanen station. You'll spend the first 5-10 minutes winding up a combination of steep zig-zagging streets and staircases. There are multiple options here, but 'all roads lead to Rome'...just keep heading up - you really can't go wrong.

Then you will come to what is an old fire station. It's a little white wooden building with a small 'spire' (you'll see it looming over you as you ascend the stairs) right next to a little artificial lake, with nice views over the city already. Catch your breath here, then head upwards towars the wooded area and paths that you will see. There will be a steady stream of people walking along here, guaranteed (just ask anyone you pass if you're feeling unsure), and a couple of hundred metres up from this you'll see a large board with a map, indicating a few different ways to the viewing point. There are signs at every junction, and it is all really clear. I'm probably making it sound way more complicated than it actually is ;p.

I'm probably making it sound way more complicated than it actually is ;p.

That sounds great!! I appreciate the detail, will look on google earth to get a feel for it. It will be nice to do a good walk up to the views. We just booked this cruise last night, so I am rushing a bit to figure out what to do in the ports!! Thanks again for your help!!

That sounds great!! I appreciate the detail, will look on google earth to get a feel for it. It will be nice to do a good walk up to the views. We just booked this cruise last night, so I am rushing a bit to figure out what to do in the ports!! Thanks again for your help!!

Glad it helped :). It's always fun booking last-minute!

• 1 month later...

Hi ShipsinBergen

Thank you for alll the information you have given :)

I have seen videos of sailors singing on the ships, does this happen very often, we would love to see them.

Random question, is there anywhere in Bergen where we can get dressed up as vikings and have our photo taken, you know the way they do in theme parks?

We are in Bergen on Sunday 23rd October on the Magellan, can't wait to visit :)

TIA

Edited by Scoobydoo99

• 2 weeks later...

Great info, but I haven't seen this question yet. Been to Bergen before, and i remember food is expensive, but very good. Looking at the FishMe Seafood buffet cruise- but reviews are either very good or very bad. Any ideas? We wanted to do something outside of Bergen, but still allow enough time to do things in Bergen also. this is only 1.5 hrs, not 3. Also want to try the Ice Bar. Is it very far from the fish market? I know, all very touristy, but we love that kind of stuff. If a 3 hr fjord tour, any recommendations? Rodne vs Mostraumen?

We are on Royal Princess- Sept 15, 2018 in Bergen. Very active cc thread- we are planning stuff already!

• 4 months later...
Hi all :)

I started a similar thread a couple of years back and it seemed to prove useful to quite a few people. I thought it would be nice to start another with up-to-date information.

Any questions on Bergen, fire away!

Hi there, SIB,

Do you know anything about the new hotel, Bergen Bors?

We do understand from some reviews that they had some growing pains, as a brand new hotel. I think the building was once the stock exchange, but don't know the entire history.

There is a suite there that has an amazing view of the waterfront, or so it appears.

And it seems from the location to be comfortably right in the middle of things.

We'd appreciate any info/suggestions you might have.

(We do have reservations, but can change at no charge in advance.)

We'll be in Bergen for two nights prior to a Hurtigruten cruise, and one night after.

Many thanks!

GC

Couple of other questions for you ShipsInBergen -

1. We are scheduled to arrive in Bergen on August 24 2018. However the port schedule does not show Serenade of the Seas. There is a Costa and a Viking ship in on the same day, which may make the port busy.

I'm trying to work out which dock we will be at - Bryggen side or Nordnes side (that's about the sum of my geography).

2. I already have info from you regarding my planned trip to Fantoft church and Troldhaugen and now that Google maps has posted an updated Street View (2017) I can see my starting stop on the Bybanen. What I would now like to know is which would be the best place to see the timber houses/steep streets? Skivebakken or across on the Nordnes side? Bearing in mind that we will have a full day on the Bybanen.

Of course if we are docked on the Nordnes side I think it make sense to explore the streets there.

Couple of other questions for you ShipsInBergen -

1. We are scheduled to arrive in Bergen on August 24 2018. However the port schedule does not show Serenade of the Seas. There is a Costa and a Viking ship in on the same day' date=' which may make the port busy.

I'm trying to work out which dock we will be at - Bryggen side or Nordnes side (that's about the sum of my geography).

2. I already have info from you regarding my planned trip to Fantoft church and Troldhaugen and now that Google maps has posted an updated Street View (2017) I can see my starting stop on the Bybanen. What I would now like to know is which would be the best place to see the timber houses/steep streets? Skivebakken or across on the Nordnes side? Bearing in mind that we will have a full day on the Bybanen.

Of course if we are docked on the Nordnes side I think it make sense to explore the streets there.

I was too late to edit my post - my apologies - the first question I had the wrong date. So now I've found the details on Bergen Port site and we are docked at Jekteviksterminalen - I presume that is the same as Jetkeviken?

So far as my second question is concerned, I would like to know which streets to focus on for the wooden houses so that is relatively easy to return to the ship. Though I believe there is a shuttle from that cruise dock. Is that right?

Sorry for getting things so muddled

I was too late to edit my post - my apologies - the first question I had the wrong date. So now I've found the details on Bergen Port site and we are docked at Jekteviksterminalen - I presume that is the same as Jetkeviken?

So far as my second question is concerned' date=' I would like to know which streets to focus on for the wooden houses so that is relatively easy to return to the ship. Though I believe there is a shuttle from that cruise dock. Is that right?[/font']

Sorry for getting things so muddled

ShipsinBergen,

Thank you for taking the time to answer all of our questions and the valuable information you continue to provided. My wife and I are DIY people, very active, and looking forward to hiking activities along with historic sites Bergen has to offer. All your suggestions are welcome!!!

BTW: We'll be on board the Serenade of the Seas with "I'm from Oz" (Valerie) and want to thank her for asking and you answering some of our questions.

Those Aussie's may be down under, but Valerie is on top of things;)

Thanks again,

Chris

ShipsinBergen,

Thank you for taking the time to answer all of our questions and the valuable information you continue to provided. My wife and I are DIY people, very active, and looking forward to hiking activities along with historic sites Bergen has to offer. All your suggestions are welcome!!!

BTW: We'll be on board the Serenade of the Seas with "I'm from Oz" (Valerie) and want to thank her for asking and you answering some of our questions.

Those Aussie's may be down under, but Valerie is on top of things;)

Thanks again,

Chris

Cheeky ;)

It looks like the Koningsdam will be docking at Bontelabo2 on June 8, 2018. Is that a walkable distance to the funicular? This will be our first time in Bergen. Walking is not a problem as long as it's not uphill. What do you recommend to do in the area? Thank you very much for your help. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you ShipsInBergen for all your help and information.

I had a wonderful day planned - thanks to your help.

However, the powers that be have changed our itinerary and decided to ditch Bergen in favour of Stavanger.

Now my research begins there.