Santorini: with 3 ships...rent a car??

Motorcycle Gma

We're torn between renting car and taking boat to Oia. I'd like to rent a car so we could see more than just Oia, but I'm wondering how bad traffic is on the island with 6,000+ cruisers. Anyone done this with 3 ships in port?? We're there in early September.

If we just go to Oia, is there enough to do there or mainly just see the sights, shop and done in an hour or two?

Thanks for any advice.

I'm not sure when the high season ends but we were there in May with 3 ships in port. We were first ship in and were first on cable car around 730. We rented a car and drove to Oia, spent 2 hrs for photos, shopping, and cafe. We drove to akrotiri ruins followed by lunch at a winery and back to Fira where spent the rest of our day. We never felt rushed and a car is the best way to get around however I don't know how traffic or crowds will be in Sept.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We're torn between renting car and taking boat to Oia. I'd like to rent a car so we could see more than just Oia, but I'm wondering how bad traffic is on the island with 6,000+ cruisers. Anyone done this with 3 ships in port?? We're there in early September.

If we just go to Oia, is there enough to do there or mainly just see the sights, shop and done in an hour or two?

Thanks for any advice.

This review of mine may help you in your decision...

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2017/07/14/one-way-to-do-santorini/

It certainly covers some of the pitfalls of getting away from the tender jetty at the old port...

34292053884_23ec051961_z.jpg

I'm not sure when the high season ends but we were there in May with 3 ships in port. We were first ship in and were first on cable car around 730. We rented a car and drove to Oia, spent 2 hrs for photos, shopping, and cafe. We drove to akrotiri ruins followed by lunch at a winery and back to Fira where spent the rest of our day. We never felt rushed and a car is the best way to get around however I don't know how traffic or crowds will be in Sept.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Late October really.

We were there on Queen Victoria and were the third ship to arrive.

This review of mine may help you in your decision...

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2017/07/14/one-way-to-do-santorini/

It certainly covers some of the pitfalls of getting away from the tender jetty at the old port...

34292053884_23ec051961_z.jpg

Wow, Solent Richard, your page is amazing! Thanks so much for sharing. It makes me want to go spend a week or two there, rather than my 1 day cruise.

Thank you everyone else for sharing your experience.