Mendenhall Glacier Float Trip Questions

I object 2

Our family is thinking about booking the Mendenhall Glacier Float Trip for our upcoming cruise and would appreciate feedback from any of you who have taken this excursion. Does the tour company provide waterproof gear (jackets, boots, etc.) or do we bring our own? Would the rapids be too scary an experience for a non-swimmer?

It really is mostly a 'float' trip.

One section of the river had small rapids.

Everything was provided jackets, pants, boots.

Just show up [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We did this almost 20 years ago and it was exactly this. We had a great time!

We're doing this next week..so you don't need to wear waterproof boots? They provide this? Are their lockers to change out?

You wear waders and jackets. The waders have the boots in them. There is no need to change, and lockers are not provided. You start near the glacier and end up 5 - 8 miles down the river.

Keep in mind that most of the trip is really not very pretty. Lots of abandoned and wrecked cars in teh water, plus you run along a subdivision.

Here are pictures from that trip:

We were thinking of taking the float trip, but after I read a bunch of the reviews, I decided to cancel it. We will do some hiking on the Mendenhall trails instead. Part of the reason I was interested in it was to get a better view of the glacier and perhaps see some wildlife. From what I read, the rafts don't get any nearer to it than you can get on the trail and the glacier view is brief. Wildlife spotting opportunities are probably as good or better on the Mendenhall trails too.

The majority of the trip is a river float through suburbia - if I wanted to do that, I could do it at home on the American.

There are a couple of companies doing a canoe trip that lands near the glacier and hikes on it and one of them also has kayak trip some days that gives close views of the glacier.

IMG_7021.jpg.f841b9385f8553ac20c13b57be39f839.jpg

We did this fun excursion and loved it! We tried to something different in each port and this fit the bill. The people seated in the middle do not have to paddle, so I lucked out! Either way, it was a super easy float trip and nice scenery. I attached an embarrassing photo of myself of the weather proof outfit they supply you with. It feels like you are wearing rubber and the boots did have my feet a bit wet and cold. It was worth the fun!

I must agree with a previous post - the views in the beginning are beautiful, but as you continue you it gets less pretty really quickly. Wrecked cars and people's back yards.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This is one tour, I never recommend, in my opinion, money is far better spent elsewhere. The glacier view is distant and brief, rest of trip is trees and back yards. There are countless other float trips that are a whole lot better.