Avalon Budapest Embarkation

cbjohns54

I am traveling with 4 other couples to Budapest in July 2018. We are looking for a reasonable hotel offering transportation from the airport and close enough to the Avalon River cruise embarkation pier because we are flying from New York a day early. Any help would be appreciated.

I have booked 2 apartments for our group of 8 for an extra 2 nights post cruise.

Prater residence booked through hotels.com

Good reviews and we like to have the extra communal space with travelling with friends.

I like a bargain as much as the next person, but river cruising is never the cheapest way to see Europe. I love my two river cruises, but they were not a bargain. Almost any hotel in Budapest will be cheaper per night than the river cruise.

So, with that out of the way. The river cruises park on the Pest side of the Danube. Most of the hotels that are located near the river will be close to the place where you will meet your ship. From viewing the ships parked there, I believe they were all located between the Elisabeth Bridge and the next bridge the Liberty Bridge. So, you could stay at any of hotels in this area and probably walk to the ship or at worst a cheap cab ride if you don't like to walk. We arrived to Budapest at the end of our cruise, and needed a transfer to our hotel (Budapest Marriott) the front desk arranged a private car to take us for about 20 euro. Now that I know the town a bit better after spending 3 nights there, we would have just walked and we would have probably beat the cab. Our hotel was less than $200 a night with a lovely view of the chain bridge including a magnificent breakfast. It is a horrible concrete communist era looking building, but the inside was very nice. There were other nice hotels nearby. The streets nearby were lovely with nice shops and restaurants and bars. Very pleasant stay.

That said from the airport I believe it to be about 28 euros, a much better deal than what the cruiseline arranged for our short trip.

Budapest is a lovely town, we spent 3 nights there and I feel that we should have stayed longer.

JC