Luggage Tags on AMA

sarcar97

When we do the ocean cruises they have luggage tags that you have to tape and then put on your luggage to make sure they get to the correct room.

On AMA do you have these same luggage tags? If so, I'm thinking of ordering the plastic holders to put them in instead of using tape as they suggest on larger ocean cruises.

Hi

We have take 5 AMA river cruises, but the last one was 3 years ago . They have always sent us a very nice pkg with regular strap on luggage tags and and itinerary information and a locality guidebook.

We are taking another trip with them in April, 2018 to So. Africa. The only river boat part of this trip is 4 days floating on the Chobe River. The rest is flights and land tours.

You'll love your trip. AMA does a fine job .

Pat

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I see you are on the Serena. She is stunning and our favorite of all the river cruise ships we have been on.

What can you tell me about her? I've been trying to find out more - but there's not much out there. We got the French Balcony since it will be winter and didn't think we'd be sitting on a balcony.

What can you tell me about her? I've been trying to find out more - but there's not much out there. We got the French Balcony since it will be winter and didn't think we'd be sitting on a balcony.

You can find my very detailed review in the Review section for AmaSerena.:)

When we do the ocean cruises they have luggage tags that you have to tape and then put on your luggage to make sure they get to the correct room.

On AMA do you have these same luggage tags? If so, I'm thinking of ordering the plastic holders to put them in instead of using tape as they suggest on larger ocean cruises.

Having just completed my first two river cruises--both with AMA Waterways [Danube from Vilshofen to Budapest on AmaStella; Rhine from Basel to Amsterdam on AmaSonata]--it seems that I may be able to clarify earlier responses to your inquiry...

• AMA does send strap-on luggage tags when they issue your cruise document/information package [directly or via your travel agent if you are using one]... Those tags are very nice but generic; they are not unlike those which you likely have affixed to your luggage--providing space for your name, address, and contact information--for routine travel of any type... You may--or may not--choose to use them for your AMA trip [they are not required] but, truth is, they can be used for personal bag identification purposes on any trip...
  • As a frequent ocean cruiser, I think you are instead referring to the luggage tags that are issued to direct your bags to your stateroom aboard ship [some ocean cruise lines provide adhesive tags--with your ship name/sailing date/stateroom number and are often bar-coded--that are issued by mail, other cruise lines suggest you print them from your electronic documents/affix them to your bags; in either case, you can always ask the porter who accepts your bags upon arrival at the cruise terminal to provide handwritten tags]... As a previous poster noted, the scale of a river cruise boat is miniature by comparison to an ocean cruise ship; at least on AMA [but I suspect it is true on all river cruise lines], there is no direct equivalent to the tags to which I believe you refer [no, you need not purchase plastic holders]...
  • If you are doing a pre-cruise land tour with AMA that includes transfer to the boat, the Cruise Manager [who'll accompany you through the entire trip] will provide you with round cardboard luggage tags bearing the ship name--your stateroom number will be handwritten on them--that you affix to your bags by elasticized cord prior to the transfer... The tags are color-coded [ie; AmaSerena "Red"; AmaSerena "Blue"] to correspond to the bus "color" to which you are assigned for the transfer... Your bags will travel to the ship with you and will be quickly unloaded/delivered to your stateroom upon arrival...
  • If you are not doing a pre-cruise land tour with AMA, be aware that you [or your travel agent] can--in advance--purchase the same AMA transfer to the ship if interested... Prior to my Danube trip, I spent two weeks of independent land-touring in Poland and The Czech Republic but, on the morning of cruise embarkation, met those who had done the AMA pre-cruise tour at their hotel [i stayed elsewhere] in Prague... Prior to my Rhine cruise, I independently flew from Budapest to Zurich and took the train to Lucerne for a few day stay prior to meeting the AMA group at their hotel [again, I stayed elsewhere] for the transfer to Basel on cruise embarkation morning... If you pre-purchase the transfer, AMA will provide you with information [it will be included in your cruise documents] as to when and where you should meet the group for transfer to the boat... The Cruise Manager--who will be expecting you and have your circular luggage delivery tags [with bus "color" assignment]--and your fellow guest will be readily identifiable upon arrival at the "AMA" hotel lobby... It worked flawlessly; in each case, my bags arrived at my stateroom before I did!
  • If you are arriving at the boat independently, no luggage delivery tags will be necessary... Show your cruise documents to a dock-side AMA Representative [no cruise terminal/no long check-in lines] and--in the time it takes to pick up your key card--your bags will be whisked away for prompt delivery...

The only thing you'll need complete pre-cruise is a brief on-line pre-registration with a few demographic questions and your passport information... Once aboard, you'll be asked to stop by the front desk again to provide them with credit card information for settlement of your room charges during the cruise... It's all very easy and AMA seems to have every aspect of river cruising down to very a well-considered and very well-executed science...

Hope this helps; enjoy your trip! Start to finish, I was--and am--very impressed with my AMA Waterways experiences!

XPort - thank you for the detail information. We are flying down early - that is before the pre-cruise. We are doing the Pre-cruise with AMA and will be staying in the same hotel that is booked for the pre-cruise. So we will be using the transfer from Prague to Nuremburg.

You are correct about the luggage tags that identify room, name, etc.

We have already prepaid for the entire trip and have completed the online registration. Can't wait -- just pulled up some video of Christmas Markets and getting even more excited. Four months to go.

XPort - thank you for the detail information. We are flying down early - that is before the pre-cruise. We are doing the Pre-cruise with AMA and will be staying in the same hotel that is booked for the pre-cruise. So we will be using the transfer from Prague to Nuremburg.

You are correct about the luggage tags that identify room, name, etc.

We have already prepaid for the entire trip and have completed the online registration. Can't wait -- just pulled up some video of Christmas Markets and getting even more excited. Four months to go.

So glad that my comments helped, Sara... As a frequent ocean cruiser, I know that I kept looking for analogous administrative processes prior to my first river cruises too but--fact is--their scale is so much smaller that they just aren't needed/don't exist... Aside from the extensive planning associated with my independent land touring, the river cruise experiences could not have been easier... Just show and go!

Though very different than ocean cruising, I loved river cruising "AMA Style" and could not have been more pleased with my decision [based upon lots of pre-booking research] to sail with them... To my mind, they are a "class act"...

Enjoy your trip!

Though very different than ocean cruising, I loved river cruising "AMA Style" and could not have been more pleased with my decision [based upon lots of pre-booking research] to sail with them... To my mind, they are a "class act"...

Enjoy your trip!

After 8 cruises with AMA, I wholeheartedly agree!