How far from the port in Venice to St Mark's Square

jst4fun715

We have a group of 8 traveling together and a couple have mobility issues. One uses a scooter (the fold up version) and one has a visual impairment. I just wondered how far it is from the port to St Mark's Square and what is the best way to get there. We will have an overnight there so also looking for some things we can do on our own.

We have a group of 8 traveling together and a couple have mobility issues. One uses a scooter (the fold up version) and one has a visual impairment. I just wondered how far it is from the port to St Mark's Square and what is the best way to get there. We will have an overnight there so also looking for some things we can do on our own.

it's 1.42 miles as the crow flies from the Port terminal to the center of Piazza san marco, but since we are not birds, the shortest walking distance i is 1.82 miles through the winding pathways and bridge crossings with steps, and a traghetto ride across the grand canal. It will be a longer walk if you have to get either of the two major bridges, the Ponte d'Rialto or Ponte dell Accademia to cross the Grand Canal. those bridges have steps.

You could take the people mover from the cruise passenger terminal area to Pizzale roma and then take the #1 or #2 Vaporetto down the Grand Canal to the Plaza San Marco, but getting a scooter from dock to boat and then from boat to dock may be a problem. there were boat crew members at every stop and on board, but not sure if they are also there to help the handicapped get wheelchairs off and on.

You might look at the cost of hiring a private water taxi to take you from the cruise dock directly to San marco. With 8 people that may be more cost effective and doable with people with mobility problems.

As for what you want to do on your own, what do you want to do? visit museums? the Basilica? shop? Sightsee? attend an opera at night? I'd just walk around or take a free walking tour. Venice is eye candy at every turn and I can't wait to go back.

Your ship may have a dedicated boat running, for an over-priced fee IMHO, to shuttle passengers between the dock and St. Mark's Square. It's convenient, but you don't see/experience nearly as much as going through the island. Visitors with mobility issues could enjoy the square and what it has to offer, while others of you may walk further afield.

If the People Mover is too difficult/far to get to from your ship, you could possibly arrange for a taxi to take you from the ship to Piazalle Roma to catch vaporetto #1. If at all possible, the ride along the Grand Canal is a must do!

Loads of stuff you can do there on your own. A ride up the bell tower at San Marco offers fantastic views.

Best of all, I found this... hope it helps!

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/accessible_venice.htm

it's 1.42 miles as the crow flies from the Port terminal to the center of Piazza san marco, but since we are not birds, the shortest walking distance i is 1.82 miles through the winding pathways and bridge crossings with steps, and a traghetto ride across the grand canal. It will be a longer walk if you have to get either of the two major bridges, the Ponte d'Rialto or Ponte dell Accademia to cross the Grand Canal. those bridges have steps.

You could take the people mover from the cruise passenger terminal area to Pizzale roma and then take the #1 or #2 Vaporetto down the Grand Canal to the Plaza San Marco, but getting a scooter from dock to boat and then from boat to dock may be a problem. there were boat crew members at every stop and on board, but not sure if they are also there to help the handicapped get wheelchairs off and on.

You might look at the cost of hiring a private water taxi to take you from the cruise dock directly to San marco. With 8 people that may be more cost effective and doable with people with mobility problems.

As for what you want to do on your own, what do you want to do? visit museums? the Basilica? shop? Sightsee? attend an opera at night? I'd just walk around or take a free walking tour. Venice is eye candy at every turn and I can't wait to go back.

Thanks very much! I was there many years ago so I just want to do more of a "walking" tour. Our traveling companion with the scooter was there just a couple of years ago with his family (we are long time friends) so I think he would be good with just sitting in a cafe and "people watching"! My husband has the visual impairment so I can help him along. I just want him to see the Square! I usually don't do ship excursions, but we got this group together so late, I haven't had time to do research into private excursions. There is one that goes to Burano that I think we might do....have never been there before. Again, thanks for your help!

Your ship may have a dedicated boat running, for an over-priced fee IMHO, to shuttle passengers between the dock and St. Mark's Square. It's convenient, but you don't see/experience nearly as much as going through the island. Visitors with mobility issues could enjoy the square and what it has to offer, while others of you may walk further afield.

If the People Mover is too difficult/far to get to from your ship, you could possibly arrange for a taxi to take you from the ship to Piazalle Roma to catch vaporetto #1. If at all possible, the ride along the Grand Canal is a must do!

Loads of stuff you can do there on your own. A ride up the bell tower at San Marco offers fantastic views.

Best of all, I found this... hope it helps!

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/accessible_venice.htm

Thanks for this link....great help! As for the "ride" up the bell tower...are you talking an elevator? I would love to go up there for the view!

Again, I appreciate the input from both of you!

Thanks very much! I was there many years ago so I just want to do more of a "walking" tour. Our traveling companion with the scooter was there just a couple of years ago with his family (we are long time friends) so I think he would be good with just sitting in a cafe and "people watching"! My husband has the visual impairment so I can help him along. I just want him to see the Square! I usually don't do ship excursions, but we got this group together so late, I haven't had time to do research into private excursions. There is one that goes to Burano that I think we might do....have never been there before. Again, thanks for your help!

Thanks for this link....great help! As for the "ride" up the bell tower...are you talking an elevator? I would love to go up there for the view!

Again, I appreciate the input from both of you!

Yes, an elevator! Might be a shorter line early in the morning.

There's another campanile to 'climb' that also has an elevator on San Giorgio Maggiore island across from San Marco. We may get there next month. I was surprised to learn that the painting of The Last Supper is in the church there. We may get a 24-hour vaporetto pass that would also cover going to Murano. Apparently the pass pays for itself if you take a minimum of three rides.

I don't know the cruiseline transfer cost, but the Blue Line of the Alilaguna is another option for travelling between the pier and St Marks . 13E RT. It leaves about every 30 minutes and makes a few stops before reaching St Marks. Might be a good option for your friend with the scooter .... he could leave the pier when the crowds thin out and might enjoy the ride to Giudecca on the way.

The Alilaguna also has a pier- Murano run.

http://www.alilaguna.it/en/lines/linea-blu