Naples Underground

Misself

Having already visited Pompeii/Herculaneum/Vesuvius , I'm looking for something local within the port area and the underground tunnels look interesting.

I've found a couple of website's offering tours, but going through the booking process they seems to just be for a ticket (with no meeting time). This makes me think it's just a turn up with your ticket and join one of the tours rather than booking a specific 'tour'. Has anyone done this and is it necessary to prebook ticket? I assume you will get a tour rather than being allowed to just go round yourself anyway so wonder if it's worth just queuing up for a ticket on the day.

I've looked on the actual website direct and can't find prices to know whether I'm paying over the odds booking with an agency. The 2 I've looked at prices vary between £8 and £14.

Also does anyone know if they are easy to find / walk to from the cruise terminal.

Many thanks for any help...indeed any other suggestions for what to do in Naples. The museum is shut on the day my cruise visits!

I have taken this Naples Underground tour: https://www.napolisotterranea.org/en/naples-underground/

It was very interesting but be forewarned that there are some pretty narrow (and dark) spaces involved. If anyone is claustrophobic it may not be the best option.

We just turned up on the "day of" and bought tickets. We were not there in peak season though. There is definitely a guided tour; you aren't allowed to wander off by yourselves.

If you have a map of the area it's easy to navigate and not that far from the port.

It's only a little over a mile from the cruise port to the underground Naples tour but it is gently uphill most of the way, so you might want to take the Metro from the Municipio station across the street from the port two stops to Dante, and walk from there. That will avoid the hill and put you right near the Port'Alba and Via Tribulani.