Compare Hilton Garden and Hampton Inn--Dania

Still researching pre-cruise hotel. I may have narrowed it down to the Hampton Inn and Hilton Garden in Dania.

If any of you are familiar with these properties, please, give me your honest opinions, both positive and negative.

We will have our car so we will be driving to port for an early getaway and transportation around the area.

Thank you.

Hampton is much older than Garden Inn. Stayed at the former Comfort Inn next door to Hampton 16 years ago before Garden Inn was built, and thought the Hampton looked as old as the Comfort felt lol. Not to say it's a bad hotel for a night, but I would personally choose Garden Inn between those 2. Good location with a car though.

How about Hilton Garden if you don't have a car????? We will use airport shuttle and then shuttle to cruise port, but we get in at noon, so are there things to do without a car around the Hilton Garden? Somewhere to pick up wine for the cruise and a place to eat? Thanks!

How about Hilton Garden if you don't have a car????? We will use airport shuttle and then shuttle to cruise port, but we get in at noon, so are there things to do without a car around the Hilton Garden? Somewhere to pick up wine for the cruise and a place to eat? Thanks!

There's a large spread out plaza called Oakwood across the main road to the south of the Hilton Garden Inn. If memory serves, you can buy wine at BJ's wholesale. There is a Chipotle and Burger King right in front of the hotel, Mcdonalds and Taco Bell across the road, then if you walk to the south of the plaza past Home Depot, there are more restaurants like Hollywood Ale House (recommended), TGI Fridays, Sweet Tomatoes, Red Lobster and maybe a couple others.

There's a large spread out plaza called Oakwood across the main road to the south of the Hilton Garden Inn. If memory serves, you can buy wine at BJ's wholesale. There is a Chipotle and Burger King right in front of the hotel, Mcdonalds and Taco Bell across the road, then if you walk to the south of the plaza past Home Depot, there are more restaurants like Hollywood Ale House (recommended), TGI Fridays, Sweet Tomatoes, Red Lobster and maybe a couple others.

You cannot buy anything at BJ's unless you're a member. There's a KMart in that plaza and I think they might sell wine.

Edited by Pia1913

We are looking at Hilton Garden too. Is it close to a trolley stop or water taxi? Just thinking of our plans for the afternoon and evening the day we are there before our cruise in Miami. Thanks so much!

Actually anyone can go to BJ's, if you go to their web site you can down load a one-day non-member pass that's good at any BJ's in the country. We have been members for years, but I know people that don't think they would ever buy enough to make the membership price worth it. They can still go anytime they want to, you just pay a non-member surcharge instead

If you like shopping at discount stores like TJ Maxx and Ross, like going to the movies, and like dining at chain restaurants, it's all in walking distance. If you want Cuban food, Las Vegas restaurant is also walking distance.

We are looking at Hilton Garden too. Is it close to a trolley stop or water taxi? Just thinking of our plans for the afternoon and evening the day we are there before our cruise in Miami. Thanks so much!

There is city bus nearby, but it's really a commuter type hotel, found in a cluster at the Interstate like in any other city in the country. Honestly, and it depends on what people like to do themselves, but when we have stayed in this area, it's been with a rental car because I'm not a fan of lounging around a hotel for an afternoon and evening. I like to go shopping, or just drive around checking the sites. These hotels, and there's only 9 or 10 of them in this immediate area, offer easy access to the rest of the metro area because of the highway, and free parking. For a Miami cruise, I would stay in this Stirling Road area if I arrived later in the day, like after dinner time, but if I had any time at all, I would rather stay in Miami.

If you like shopping at discount stores like TJ Maxx and Ross, like going to the movies, and like dining at chain restaurants, it's all in walking distance. If you want Cuban food, Las Vegas restaurant is also walking distance.

Really liked the Las Vegas restaurant. The hotel has an area shuttle to the surrounding restaurants. At least they offered that last year. We have stayed at the Garden Inn twice and have booked it again for this year, using their park and cruise package.

You cannot buy anything at BJ's unless you're a member. There's a KMart in that plaza and I think they might sell wine.

Anyone can ask for a one-day pass at BJ's (I get them in the mail weekly) and pay a 15% surcharge on the member prices. But you are correct that the K-Mart next door has a section of wine and beach sundries right inside the front door.

As to the original question--I have stayed at other Hampton Inns and agree that the Oakwood location is a bit less attractive than average. Hilton Garden Inn is set back further off busy Stirling Rd and parking is more secure. Right call made.

Anyone can ask for a one-day pass at BJ's (I get them in the mail weekly) and pay a 15% surcharge on the member prices. But you are correct that the K-Mart next door has a section of wine and beach sundries right inside the front door.

As to the original question--I have stayed at other Hampton Inns and agree that the Oakwood location is a bit less attractive than average. Hilton Garden Inn is set back further off busy Stirling Rd and parking is more secure. Right call made.

I get those BJ offers too. But why would I want to pay that upcharge since most items can be gotten on sale quite often for a lot less money. I'm a Costco girl and from what I see, BJ's won't ever make it in South Florida. The one in my neighborhood, which is much closer than any Costco, is always empty.

No and no.

Stayed at the HGI a year ago. Would stay again! Free airport shuttle worked great. We arrived early afternoon.....walked to Chipotle out in front of hotel and spent several hours hanging by the pool reading after. The pool area was nicely landscaped and tropical feeling. Great for this price point hotel. Next morning, walked across the street to McDs for breakfast... all was great!

We are very familiar with FLL, beach and the area. Chose to go this route for not having to worry about a rental car and free shuttle. We enjoy fine dinning but we didn't have that expectation for 1 night. It was fine and needed the rest from travel.