Steak/Dine under the Stars on the Dream

Anyone done this ? would appreciate comments if worth the supplement , what the menu is (steak perchance ?? lol) - we're on the ship for our 25th Wedding Anniversary and am hopeful it could be the romantic meal of the week and a brownie point winner if i throw in a bottle of Champagne with it :)

Anyone done this ? would appreciate comments if worth the supplement , what the menu is (steak perchance ?? lol) - we're on the ship for our 25th Wedding Anniversary and am hopeful it could be the romantic meal of the week and a brownie point winner if i throw in a bottle of Champagne with it :)

I'd recommend the Grill - a bit more expensive but a far superior setting and menu imo. We have been several times and it's always been superb.

The steak under the stars is actually an area of the pool deck underneath the overhang from the promenade of the deck above. They use muslin type drapes for some visual separation from the rest of the pool deck but it's not quite 'under the stars' in that where you sit isn't actually open to the sky. The Grill on the other hand to me seems much more sophisticated and classy for a special occasion. But if the Al fresco bit really appeals just be aware of the location and that it can be a bit breezy too when at sea albeit usually very warm in the Caribbean. If it's wet the roof will be closed too. Perhaps it would be a good idea to check both venues and menus out as soon as you get on board and make a booking asap so that you get the date of your anniversary before it gets booked up. Enjoy your Celebration and Congratulations. :)

The steak under the stars is actually an area of the pool deck underneath the overhang from the promenade of the deck above. They use muslin type drapes for some visual separation from the rest of the pool deck but it's not quite 'under the stars' in that where you sit isn't actually open to the sky. The Grill on the other hand to me seems much more sophisticated and classy for a special occasion. But if the Al fresco bit really appeals just be aware of the location and that it can be a bit breezy too when at sea albeit usually very warm in the Caribbean. If it's wet the roof will be closed too. Perhaps it would be a good idea to check both venues and menus out as soon as you get on board and make a booking asap so that you get the date of your anniversary before it gets booked up. Enjoy your Celebration and Congratulations. :)

Agree the Grill is more classy. Nicer surroundings too.

As for menus they alternate a few days of French and a few days of Asian etc in the grill. So if you book make sure you know which menu they are running that night you book for.

Steak under the Stars is a good alternative but unless you really must have the steak then I would say go for th Grill but if on for a longer cruise do the Steak under the Stars on another night.

the steak under the stars (stairs) is an aberdeen angus plus you get a starter and pudding (i think its about £13pp)

the grill is £20pp and is a 5 course meal

or, you can order (costs extra) a steak in the main dining room you can also order a cake/champagne to be delivered to your table

if its a special occasion the waiters will get their guitars out and come to your table and sing for you, all the other diners will down their forks and sing/clap/wave their napkins along and you’ll get a round of applause

I agree The Grill would be "more special". Due to the Orion service being abysmal we ate there frequently and the food was very good. We also used steak under the stars and when sat right next to the pool i.e. under the stars it was an enjoyable experience albeit a bit exposed to other passengers wandering through. Sitting off to the side underneath was very echoey and reminiscent of the school pool haha. Another tip, if using the grill beware of telling anyone its a special occasion they ask you when you make the booking. There is a girl on the ship ( or was earlier this year) called Hazel who has a wonderful voice who will come and sing for you. Tbh it was totally cringeworthy (to me who hates having entire restaurant focused on me lol ) and one night completely ridiculous as everyone in there had one occasion or other and she was in and out like a yoyo. Some people seemed to enjoy the performance just for them whilst others were visibly embarrassed especially when she made them put there hands together lol. I am sure you will have a wonderful time we did.

Hi Skoozie, reading your post I realised who you are. Hope both of you are very well. :)

We only used the MDR at night and on our second night we were victims of the singing waiter (not Hazel who sang to us at afternoon tea one day and was such a lovely girl). What was so irritating for us was that we were having to wait ages for our food as "our" waiter was going round the tables singing and playing guitar, especially at one table in particular. When I asked the Head Waiter in that area if we could be served our food, he brought the waiter over to sing to us. We cringed alright, but were very annoyed as we had to wait even longer for our food!!

I am going on the Dream soon, with DH this time, and hope to use the Grill for 2 special occasions we will be celebrating on the cruise.

I read a thread recently bemoaning the fact that there no longer seemed to be any singing waiters on the Dream and that this was a shame. I suppose they can't win. Some people love or hate this and since waiters are run of their feet then perhaps this is the reason they no longer have time to sing or play guitar.

Thanks for all the comments , consensus seems to be or the Grill , which i will check out when i get on-board - we had the singing waiters for our 19th Anniversary on the Destiny , it was a nice touch and glad of the experience but not sure i'd want to have it again - cheers folks :)