Two weeks in Sydney over Xmas & New Year

OceanMonarch

We will be arriving in Sydney on Dec 20th thru Jan 3rd and are looking for accommodation recommendations for 3 adults. Since we are there for 2 weeks an apartment with cooking facilities/washer dryer would be preferable. We have looked on various websites but are unfamiliar with the different areas of Sydney. We would like to be in a central location or close to public transport. Our price limit would be no more than 170 AUD per night.

Accommodation isn't cheap in Sydney at that time of year. Prices around New Years Eve are very high for any places close to the harbour. You will be very lucky to find anything under AU $170 that is in a handy location for sightseeing, and will probably have to pay quite a bit more.

I recommend the Mantra in Chatswood http://www.mantra.com.au/new-south-wales/sydney-and-surrounds/chatswood/accommodation/hotels/mantra-chatswood/

Our family stay there when they visit us and it's very nice. It's close to the railway station so easy to get into the city for sightseeing. There are good, cheap eateries near the railway station, and good shopping as well.

I suggest booking as soon as possible or you may miss out.

We will be arriving in Sydney on Dec 20th thru Jan 3rd and are looking for accommodation recommendations for 3 adults. Since we are there for 2 weeks an apartment with cooking facilities/washer dryer would be preferable. We have looked on various websites but are unfamiliar with the different areas of Sydney. We would like to be in a central location or close to public transport. Our price limit would be no more than 170 AUD per night.

I would suggest you post your question on Tripadvisor in the Sydney forum, the experts there may have some ideas. Your budget is rather low for that time of year for most places.

OP - Thanks for the advice. We have located a town home in the St Leonard's area. Is this a reasonable area with regards to public transport and access to the fireworks on NYE? We don't mind walking.
If it's easy to get to the train station, then you'll be fine; St Leonards is actually closer to the city centre than Chatswood. Other than on New Year's Eve, you may also find buses quite good for getting in - but it does depend very much on exactly where you are.

OP - Thanks for the advice. We have located a town home in the St Leonard's area. Is this a reasonable area with regards to public transport and access to the fireworks on NYE? We don't mind walking.

St Leonards has a good train service so that will be your best bet. Sydney keeps messing about with its bus routes and some no longer go across the bridge and into the city.

There will be extra trains on NYE. The Sydney Morning Herald usually publishes a map of all the vantage points for the fireworks. Be prepared for it to be very crowded wherever you go. Many of the parks no longer allow BYO drinks, sometimes including water unfortunately, so you have to buy it from vendors there. If you want a prime viewing position for the fireworks you should aim to get there in the afternoon - take a picnic dinner and snacks. Some people stake out positions in the morning.

There is a small supermarket in the St Leonards train station complex, otherwise your best bet for shopping is Chatswood (two train stops away). Crows Nest (which you'd need to walk to) has lots of good restaurants and cafes.

BTW I live in a suburb very close to St Leonards and Chatswood. If you have any more questions about the area I'll be happy to answer them.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

St Leonards has a good train service so that will be your best bet. Sydney keeps messing about with its bus routes and some no longer go across the bridge and into the city.

There will be extra trains on NYE. The Sydney Morning Herald usually publishes a map of all the vantage points for the fireworks. Be prepared for it to be very crowded wherever you go. Many of the parks no longer allow BYO drinks, sometimes including water unfortunately, so you have to buy it from vendors there. If you want a prime viewing position for the fireworks you should aim to get there in the afternoon - take a picnic dinner and snacks. Some people stake out positions in the morning.

There is a small supermarket in the St Leonards train station complex, otherwise your best bet for shopping is Chatswood (two train stops away). Crows Nest (which you'd need to walk to) has lots of good restaurants and cafes.

BTW I live in a suburb very close to St Leonards and Chatswood. If you have any more questions about the area I'll be happy to answer them.

Have a great cruise! Thank you for the information and I really appreciate your kind offer.