Maui Air/ Volcano Air Tours

whale-watcher

Has anyone had experience with this company? They offer a late afternoon air tour on a 10pax plane out of Kahului airport in Maui. This tour includes the north shore of Maui and the Hana area, as well as VNP and a lava flyover on the Big Island.

http://www.volcanoairtours.com/tours_sunset.html

We were planning a heliocopter tour out of Kona, but this option would free up our time in Kona to do other things, and would not cut into our planned Maui activities to any real degree (Hiking on Haleakala earlier in the day on day #1, whale watching on day #2).

Would love to hear any feedback/opinions on this option...

Thanks!:)

• 8 years later...

In regards to flying across the Alenuiha'ha Channel from Maui to the Big Island, note that with the Channel being bordered on the Maui side by Haleakala and on Hawai'i by Mauna Kea, northeastern trade winds that get funneled though the area blow wind gusts of up to five times more velocity than the surrounding waters. In traveling this area, consider if possible turbulence might be a problem for those prone to air sickness.

In regards to flying across the Alenuiha'ha Channel from Maui to the Big Island, note that with the Channel being bordered on the Maui side by Haleakala and on Hawai'i by Mauna Kea, northeastern trade winds that get funneled though the area blow wind gusts of up to five times more velocity than the surrounding waters. In traveling this area, consider if possible turbulence might be a problem for those prone to air sickness.

Thanks. I had seen some reviews that mention incredible turbulence, but given some of the other "complaints" in those reviews had discounted it somewhat. May need to think about that a bit further.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.bluehawaiian.com/maui/tours/

I think this was the company we used. I have a pic and the helicopters were blue..:D I think it's a 4 passenger and doors off. Very cool experience!! I would look into them and see the times. Not sure how many you need it for. Once in a life time thing to do.

LOVE Maui!!

Enjoy!

http://www.bluehawaiian.com/maui/tours/

I think this was the company we used. I have a pic and the helicopters were blue..:D

Blue Hawaiian doesn't have 'doors off' helicopters AFAIK - and their Maui>BI tour doesn't include Kilauea Volcano on the BI (which I think 'no port' is interested in because of posting on this thread.)

Agree that heli tours in Hawaii are awesome ... we've done two with Blue Hawaiian (Kauai and Maui) and loved them.:)

Re the Maui Air Volcano Tour - I'm surprised at how few reviews there are for them - only one in the past year on Tripadvisor. I wonder how often they do this trip (perhaps very infrequently for the reason Silver Sweethearts mention?)

• 4 weeks later...
Blue Hawaiian doesn't have 'doors off' helicopters AFAIK - and their Maui>BI tour doesn't include Kilauea Volcano on the BI (which I think 'no port' is interested in because of posting on this thread.)

We did Blue Hawaiian tour of Maui back in 1995 (and still have the VHS video!). Looking to get a good fly over of the active lava flow and that appears to only be viable from Maui in a fixed wind aircraft. So few reviews on these companies out there we were hoping someone here had some experience with one of them.