Oceania ignores my middle name

RandB_Toronto

In another thread there was a recent comment that FDR reads these comments and takes them seriously, so here is one of my "pet peeves" with Oceania.

I "go by" my middle name - which I think is not at all unusual, even in the U.S. On our first Oceania cruise back in 2007, they had printed my on-board card with my first and last name. I objected and they said all they could do was to re-print it with all three names. Not really satisfactory. Having spent my entire working career in software development, I know very well that it is not very difficult to add another field for a "preferred" name. After the cruise I sent FDR a letter for which I received a stock reply that all comments are considered. Five years later my passport has been changed to have "C. Richard Pond" instead of my full name and, of course, Oceania's records have been updated accordingly. Now I am addressed as "Dear C" in all their letters!

Really, this is not difficult. I would think a simple programming change would make a big hit with a sizable chunk of their customer base.

Hoping this comment is read by someone who can make a difference,

...Rick Pond

I don't mean to sound unsympathetic, but as far as your World-card is concerned, I believe that in this post 911 World, Oceania is REQUIRED to use THE EXACT NAME FROM YOUR PASSPORT.

It is, after all, the device by which you enter and exit the ship, and Oceania is required to account for your presence in order to enter or leave a port.

That said, you're 100% right about the mailing lists, brochures should be addressed in whatever manner pleases you.

I also have used my middle name my entire life (its a southern thing; at least they didn't push both names together, which was the other option...). In general, I've found the discomfort on the first day at school (where my formal name was announced at roll call, thus resulting in several days of anguish on the schoolyard) has been more than compensated for by the advantages it presents as an adult. For instance, if I receive a phone call, I know immediately if the person is a friend, acquaintance or bothersome stranger merely by who they ask for at the outset (anyone who asks for my first name is tagged as a stranger, thus usually receiving the "I'm sorry, he's not available...lol).

Of course, as noted by Jimandstan, the TSA rules in our unfortunate post- 9/11 world require specific adherence to what your government document states re name. Since the OP has changed their passport, the issue may be moot since that is the name sequence that should appear on their card the next time around. For me, other than to check the name when I first receive mine onboard, I can't recall that anyone ever paid attention to it or used it in an onboard setting (maybe I don't get out enough on the ship, and it is an issue for others).

Also agree that adding a preferred name shouldn't be too much of a hassle for those of us with lesser-used first names; I appreciate when I don't have to strike and scrawl my name on conference nametags, etc. Seems they could do it, unless it is considered a necessary document to board and re-board, and thus would have to agree with the gov't document, etc.

Best Regards, Bob H

I am legally M. Christine , but sent in my passport with Mary Christine because my soc. card still says Mary Christine. I made the reservation as (Mary) Christine.

I let Oceania know I never use Mary and that if they phoned my house we would assume they had the wrong number if they asked for Mary. I do not know what my travel agent told them, but when I have contacted Oceania they address my as Christine. They must have a note of my preference in their system. (I did not even find out my name was Mary until I was hospitalized at 11 yrs old) I was very surprised as I had never been addressed as Mary.

I assume there is some way to input your name as you preferred to be addressed.

I also believe they sent my docs to my TA first and she may even have asked them to list me as (Mary) Christine.

Good Luck! I know how frustrating it can be to be called a name you have never used.

Post 9-11 continues to cause changes. On a recent, direct flight from Toronto to Manchester England, I received an e-mail from the airline advising me of a new directive effective Sunday February 12, 2012 (the day we were flying)

It originated with the U.S. Department of Homeland Security. They have initiated a secure flight over flight program for all flights that fly over (we did not) or close (yes, a few hundred miles) to American airspace. They required an update of wanting to know my middle name and date of birth. A small price to pay for security, and easily done via computer.

NOW, this morning, I went to print our boarding passes for our direct Toronto to Miami flight tomorrow on Air Canada, booked by Oceania. I went through all the steps, paid for our luggage via Mastercard, but was rejected for no known reason before printout. Tried again...same results. So I called the airline....seems I have been flagged by the TSA for a security search!! How much more than 3 1/4 hours do I have to be at the airport, now???

Cheers CANDYAPPLE

Edited by CANDYAPPLE

.seems I have been flagged by the TSA for a security search!! How much more than 3 1/4 hours do I have to be at the airport, now???

Cheers CANDYAPPLE

I had that problem in Nov on our flight to TX

They swabbed my hands & asked if I wanted a pat down or do the body scan machine

Did the body scan

We had 1 carry-on for 2 of us so gave to DH to take through he was not chosen as "Special" :D

Did not take much longer than the regular search

Lyn

Richard, I feel your pain. I've gone by my middle name since I turned 30. (My mother always assured me that by the time I was 30, I would love my first name. I didn't........end of story. :) )

Anyway, last April's cruise on Oceania was the impetus for my legal name change last summer and new passport. There was NO way I would ever willingly go through having to see that name on an official document again.

Oceania has been provided a copy of my legal name change document for our upcoming cruise, yet e-mails I receive still have the greeting, Dear (old first name here), ..... I've sent requests for them to update their database, but if that's the worst thing Oceania does, I can live with it. (Though, I would be thrilled if they would just change it!)

J and S is right (as always)...it's a requirement that the ship's World Card has our legal name, as shown on our passports. I will be SO much happier having my new World Card on our upcoming TA.

My husband doesn't "get" my fixation with names. But, I can totally relate to your feelings on this.

J and S is right (as always)...it's a requirement that the ship's World Card has our legal name, as shown on our passports. I will be SO much happier having my new World Card on our upcoming TA.

I wonder what that requirement is, specifically. When sailing to/from/through the US, I know, it's DHS. But when sailing entirely outside the US, on a non-US flag ship, presumably US laws and regulations do not apply. So what laws and regulations apply that make this a requirement? Are there even any laws that mandate access cards (World Card on O) and what they should have written on them? Can someone please quote specifics?

For all airline flights and supposedly now all cruises, you must use your legal name. It does not help that several of us do not use our first name but instead our middle name, but thanks to 9-11, we now all have to use our first names on all legal documentation. I tried to get my middle name put on my Oceania card while on my South American cruise in February and they said no way. I also tried while doing a HAL partial Panama, and they said no way. Airlines and cruise lines will just have to get used to the fact that people do not respond to their first names and they may have to start using full names rather than just first and last. I fortunately have an uncommon last name so if they do call my first and last name, I clue in they are talking about me. The nice part was though while on the ship I made my husband pay for everything since he uses his first name. Solved the problem.:D

I wonder what that requirement is, specifically. When sailing to/from/through the US, I know, it's DHS. But when sailing entirely outside the US, on a non-US flag ship, presumably US laws and regulations do not apply. So what laws and regulations apply that make this a requirement? Are there even any laws that mandate access cards (World Card on O) and what they should have written on them? Can someone please quote specifics?

Since the world card is used in place of a passport in most ports it may be necessary in case of trouble or illness that the name on the card match the name on the passport. Can't cite a law to that effect but it makes sense and probably makes it easier for the cruise line to deal with local authorities.

The laws, and their language, naturally vary slightly from Country to Country, but what they all have in common is that the ship must submit a 100% accurate manifest for both passengers and crew before arrival in each port, certifying that everyone on board has a valid, legal passport.

Cruise ships typically visit "through-ports" under what are called "Yachting Privileges" which simplify their paperwork greatly. This is also the reason why your passport IS NOT STAMPED at every Port during a cruise.

In order to maintain those privileges, the ship must also certify that every person that they brought into a given Port will ALSO depart with them (or give a darned good reason why not).

The World Card system, is simply the electronic method employed for monitoring the passengers comings and goings so that the Oceania may prepare those manifests in good faith and with a minimum of stress to the passengers.

I have a similar situation only not quite ... I've always been known professionally by my maiden name, and most of my credit cards and my checks are in that name. Now, I don't have a problem with Oceania in this respect because my passport is in my full name, so that's what they use.

But frequent flyer memberships, also in my full name, can't seem to handle it. So rather than being Mura Kievman Mager, I'm Mura Kievmanmager. And if I put in my last name as "Mager", they won't find it.

After all these years, I've gotten used to it. But it is irritating.

Mura

The laws, and their language, naturally vary slightly from Country to Country, but what they all have in common is that the ship must submit a 100% accurate manifest for both passengers and crew before arrival in each port, certifying that everyone on board has a valid, legal passport.

Cruise ships typically visit "through-ports" under what are called "Yachting Privileges" which simplify their paperwork greatly. This is also the reason why your passport IS NOT STAMPED at every Port during a cruise.

In order to maintain those privileges, the ship must also certify that every person that they brought into a given Port will ALSO depart with them (or give a darned good reason why not).

The World Card system, is simply the electronic method employed for monitoring the passengers comings and goings so that the Oceania may prepare those manifests in good faith and with a minimum of stress to the passengers.

This makes perfect sense, but made the same perfect sense pre-9/11. I am sure those "yachting privileges" and similar laws have been in the books for the longest time, and that cruise lines have always had to report accurate manifests. Is this middle name issue only a problem since 9/11, as alluded in three comments in this thread, or since the beginning of times?

I have a similar situation only not quite ... I've always been known professionally by my maiden name, and most of my credit cards and my checks are in that name. Now, I don't have a problem with Oceania in this respect because my passport is in my full name, so that's what they use.

After all these years, I've gotten used to it. But it is irritating.

Mura

Agree that TSA/other security requirements dictate that names match today. Doesn't matter when those requirements started but rather what matters now. (FWIW I was in Argentina traveling back to US in August 2006 after the shoe bomber incident but before the 3 oz rules went into effect, amidst the confusion I checked all liquids. Things change.)

That being said, we have a similar situation here, I never changed my last name on anything after marriage. All of our O documents were noted MR (husband) and MRS (me) which I took to indicate we are married. I can't recall how our butler greeted us at first, but we quickly said, call us J & L (first names). My last name is more complicated (to some) so when we're called at the gate by the airline it's typically as 'MrWeezer, party of two' because we are linked in the system.

My brother also goes by his middle name. An earlier poster said that's a Southern thing, he's the third, all three have gone by their middle name. He knows to listen for John (last name), then as needed he'll say, I prefer to go by (middle name). Not a big deal to him.

If our society were more formal and everyone used last names perhaps this wouldn't be as much an issue (at least for the OP)...unless you have a really common name...or as in our case have different last names. But again, in such cases, MrWeezer is also on the alert for someone to call him MrsWeezer (my last name). And he doesn't have a problem with that either, he will state his preferred name as needed.

Edited by PRWeezer
grammar!

In another thread there was a recent comment that FDR reads these comments and takes them seriously, so here is one of my "pet peeves" with Oceania.

I "go by" my middle name - which I think is not at all unusual, even in the U.S. On our first Oceania cruise back in 2007, they had printed my on-board card with my first and last name. I objected and they said all they could do was to re-print it with all three names. Not really satisfactory. Having spent my entire working career in software development, I know very well that it is not very difficult to add another field for a "preferred" name. After the cruise I sent FDR a letter for which I received a stock reply that all comments are considered. Five years later my passport has been changed to have "C. Richard Pond" instead of my full name and, of course, Oceania's records have been updated accordingly. Now I am addressed as "Dear C" in all their letters!

Really, this is not difficult. I would think a simple programming change would make a big hit with a sizable chunk of their customer base.

Hoping this comment is read by someone who can make a difference,

...Rick Pond

I am not the person who can make a difference, but I do very much agree with you that it is not difficult to do and even in a post 9/11 world there is no reason why your "onboard name" cannot be different from the name on your passport. I have a programming background, too, and it would not be the least bit difficult to add a field for "preferred name onboard".

As a matter of fact, Crystal Cruises's pre-cruise documents not only allow it, but ask you specifically "how would you like to be known onboard?" There is a couple who is simply known as "Mr. and Mrs. T" from what I understand and there are others who also choose other names or simply want to be addressed by their first names, i.e. "Miss Anne" or whatever.

My passport lists my first name, my middle name and for last name it lists both my maiden name and my married name, as did my Oceania documents; however, I requested that only my first name and husband's last name be used onboard, and that is how I was addressed verbally and on place cards throughout the cruise. I agree with you that it would be easier if the option for choice could actually be a programmed field, though.

My mom and dad began sailing O in 2003. My dad passed away in 2007, and I began traveling with mom. At the beginning, Nov. 2007, I was always addressed in print as Mr. Thornton, instead of Ms. Thornton. The ship even sent notes asking Mr. Thornton to pick up his passport at the end of our voyage. After many conversations with ship personnel from the GM to Concierge to Cruise Ambassador, I think they have finally gotten it correct. How hard is it to delete one name and enter another?

I am not the person who can make a difference, but I do very much agree with you that it is not difficult to do and even in a post 9/11 world there is no reason why your "onboard name" cannot be different from the name on your passport. I have a programming background, too, and it would not be the least bit difficult to add a field for "preferred name onboard".

As a matter of fact, Crystal Cruises's pre-cruise documents not only allow it, but ask you specifically "how would you like to be known onboard?" There is a couple who is simply known as "Mr. and Mrs. T" from what I understand and there are others who also choose other names or simply want to be addressed by their first names, i.e. "Miss Anne" or whatever.

My passport lists my first name, my middle name and for last name it lists both my maiden name and my married name, as did my Oceania documents; however, I requested that only my first name and husband's last name be used onboard, and that is how I was addressed verbally and on place cards throughout the cruise. I agree with you that it would be easier if the option for choice could actually be a programmed field, though.

Although I completely understand the need for having my legal name the same as on my passport, it is totally simple to have another "nickname" or "preferred name" on the card. As you say, that way I can be addressed properly on the ship.

I am really fed up with the way computers seem to make things difficult when with only a little effort, they can actually make it easy. I remember years ago when I had to apply for Ontario's health insurance plan, I had to fill out a form which had (if I recall correctly) eighteen -- EIGHTEEN!!! -- different formats for the name field. It allowed for almost any possibility. Now every form I fill out has "first name" "middle initial" and "last name". "It's because of the computer" -- ROT. It's because of lazy and incompetent programmers and user interface designers.

There now, I'll get off my soap box - Feel much better!!

I am really fed up with the way computers seem to make things difficult when with only a little effort, they can actually make it easy. I remember years ago when I had to apply for Ontario's health insurance plan, I had to fill out a form which had (if I recall correctly) eighteen -- EIGHTEEN!!! -- different formats for the name field. It allowed for almost any possibility. Now every form I fill out has "first name" "middle initial" and "last name". "It's because of the computer" -- ROT. It's because of lazy and incompetent programmers and user interface designers.

I agree with you. My son who is a tech nerd says that it would be very easy to do, but........

I agree with you. My son who is a tech nerd says that it would be very easy to do, but........

Just because it would be easy to do does not mean that it is advisable to do.

Do we really want Oceania to need to "explain" the intricacies of each passengers name choices -to non English speaking Customs Authorities- at each and every port?

I'm expecting those people who are so so adamant about getting off the ship ASAP in every port to support me here. :cool:

Just because it would be easy to do does not mean that it is advisable to do.

Do we really want Oceania to need to "explain" the intricacies of each passengers name choices -to non English speaking Customs Authorities- at each and every port?

I'm expecting those people who are so so adamant about getting off the ship ASAP in every port to support me here. :cool:

Fully Agree.....

Wouldn't be just easier to get a legal name change if you are not comfortable with your first name anyway

Seems like a simple solution to me ;)

You want me to change my name just because computers (or more accurately programmers) are incompetent??? I can't believe anyone would seriously suggest that. I very firmly believe machines are here to serve people -- not vice versa!! My name is that which my parents gave me. I like it. I don't want to change it. I expect people to design user interfaces that accept it as it is. As I said, I worked in software development for thirty years. I know what is possible. And btw, using one's middle name is only one "different" format amongst many in the world-wide use of names. It is a touchy subject and, for most people, VERY important.

(Having said this, I will admit that the (large) company I worked for also cannot get this right! Well, they got it right for the S/W they developed for sale, just not for that which they used internally!. I argued with them for years and finally gave up. As far as they are concerned "first name" = C. Richard, middle initial = blank, last name = Pond. Stupid, but it works -- sort of.)

And I certainly don't understand the problem about explaining to customs officials. The main name on the card would still be my exact "passport name", but there would be an additional name there also. Surely that is not so difficult. As someone mentioned, another cruise line (I imagine more than one) has already implemented this so it is obviously doable.