KONA advice needed

casperbks

What is there to see in Kona that I should rent a car... we are going to be on the Carnival Miracle and we are trying to decide to rent a car or just go to the beach that is by where we tender.... any help appreciated.. thank you:confused:

[quote name='casperbks']What is there to see in Kona that I should rent a car... we are going to be on the Carnival Miracle and we are trying to decide to rent a car or just go to the beach that is by where we tender.... any help appreciated.. thank you:confused:[/QUOTE]

The Dollar/Thrifty is just across the street from the tender port but the ease of getting a car there is offset by the cost. Enterprise is also downtown and will pick you up, but you spend time getting to/from the rental agency/ Edited by pizzalady1

The beach next to the pier where you tender into isn't one that you'd probably want to spend much time at. If you rent a car you could explore some of the nice beaches along the Kohala coast - about a 45 minute drive north of the town of Kailua Kona - and continue further to Pololu Valley for scenic coastal views, a hike (15 minutes) down to Pololu beach (no swimming - but incredibly scenic) and then drive back via Kohala Mountain Road - another scenic route. There are some historic sites that you could visit along the way too.

Or you could head south and visit [URL="http://www.nps.gov/puho/index.htm"]Pu`uhonua O Hōnaunau National Park[/URL] and include a coffee plantation tour (free) on your way back at [URL="http://www.greenwellfarms.com/coffee-tour"]Greenwell's[/URL].

I'd highly recommend taking advantage of your day and getting out of the town of Kailua Kona to explore some of the Big Island:)

[quote name='Susan-M']The beach next to the pier where you tender into isn't one that you'd probably want to spend much time at. If you rent a car you could explore some of the nice beaches along the Kohala coast - about a 45 minute drive north of the town of Kailua Kona - and continue further to Pololu Valley for scenic coastal views, a hike (15 minutes) down to Pololu beach (no swimming - but incredibly scenic) and then drive back via Kohala Mountain Road - another scenic route. There are some historic sites that you could visit along the way too.

Or you could head south and visit [URL="http://www.nps.gov/puho/index.htm"]Pu`uhonua O Hōnaunau National Park[/URL] and include a coffee plantation tour (free) on your way back at [URL="http://www.greenwellfarms.com/coffee-tour"]Greenwell's[/URL].

I'd highly recommend taking advantage of your day and getting out of the town of Kailua Kona to explore some of the Big Island:)[/QUOTE]

Susan, we are thinking of doing the North drive. Could you possibly provide the road numbers and indicate where you pick up each road, or is there somewhere you can point me that has this info?

I have looked at a map, ( I did not see a Kohala Mountain Rd ) and it looks like 19 and 270 up to the Hawi area, then pick up 250 S beyond Hawi to the Waimea area where you would pick up 190 s back to Kona. Is 190 Kohala Mtn Rd?

About how long is this drive? What are some of the worthwhile stops?

Hi Punkincc -
Yes, you've got the right route - 270 is the scenic coastal route to Hawi, 250 is Kohala Mountain Road - you'd want to do it in that order for best views - on a clear day you can see Haleakala on Maui as you drive up 270, and coming down Kohala Mountain Road - views of Mauna Kea (the first part of the drive is through a forest and then it opens up to wonderful vistas) - here's [URL="https://www.google.ca/maps/dir/Kailua-Kona,+HI,+USA/Makaiwa+Bay,+Puako,+HI,+USA/Hapuna+Beach+State+Recreation+Area,+Waimea,+HI,+USA/Hawi,+HI,+USA/Pololu+Valley+Lookout,+Akoni+Pule+Highway,+Kapaau,+HI,+United+States/Waimea,+HI,+USA/Kailua-Kona,+HI,+USA/@19.9346504,-156.1388544,9.98z/data=!4m44!4m43!1m5!1m1!1s0x79540eb26a91b401:0x7911d83882da5a7!2m2!1d-155.9969261!2d19.639994!1m5!1m1!1s0x79547813fce4d8f7:0x5f835bd97fc5614f!2m2!1d-155.8731577!2d19.9459599!1m5!1m1!1s0x7953873dc8ed598d:0xef827fd6b2d6adf9!2m2!1d-155.8255961!2d19.9906172!1m5!1m1!1s0x79537d731c056fc1:0x58b038c3ce7aa210!2m2!1d-155.8327778!2d20.2413889!1m5!1m1!1s0x79537b78f453292b:0x81de75e67856a5b0!2m2!1d-155.733826!2d20.2038203!1m5!1m1!1s0x79539e564e9c4073:0x9cbcdfa9a1128a77!2m2!1d-155.6716667!2d20.0230556!1m5!1m1!1s0x79540eb26a91b401:0x7911d83882da5a7!2m2!1d-155.9969261!2d19.639994!3e0"]the route on google maps[/URL].

Suggest including a stop at the Mauna Lani Resort - there's public parking that is about a 15 minute walk to Makaiwa beach - it's a sheltered beach for swimming/snorkelling - there's a restaurant at that beach as well. You can check out some of the historic artifacts that the Mauna Lani resort has retained - the ancient fishponds, fishermen's trail (over the lava rocks), and then by driving to the north side of the resort, towards the Fairmont Orchid - and just before you get to the hotel parking lot, you'll see a parking lot on the right for the Puako Petroglyphs - it's a 10-15 minute walk along a trail to see the petroglyphs. After spending an hour or more at the ML resort, you'll probably want to stay there on your next trip.:)

Hawi is a quaint town to stop in for browsing the shops and having something to eat - local (very talented) artists display their works in shops there. It's like taking a step back in time when you visit Hawi, with some buildings dating back 100 years or more I think.

Just beyond Hawi, in the town of Kapauu, is the [URL="http://www.gohawaii.com/en/big-island/regions-neighborhoods/north-kohala/kamehameha-statue-kapaau/"]original statue of King Kamehameha[/URL]

There are other stops that you can make along this route as well if you have time. I think there might be some Heiau's - but we didn't get to them.

Even if you don't hike down to Pololu beach, it's worth driving to the end of the road (where the trail down starts) to look at the views from the top. If you go down to the beach, be sure to walk along the trail that parallels the beach through the ironwood trees - it's a 'magical' place.

Enjoy.:) Edited by Susan-M

Thanks, Susan. I'm taking lots of notes. Any time estimates you can give to certain points, allowing for some time for stops as well? I don't want to lolly gag too long early on and run out of time. What's the latest time we should arrive in the Hawi area for instance, and how long is the drive back from there?

There is another beach I ran across info on yesterday that I am dying to check out as we head out up the coast. It is Maniniowali Beach @ Kua Bay and it appears to be not too far north of the airport area. The water looks absolutely to die for, crystal clear and very Caribbean looking. The website is great for beaches on all the islands, contains a list of the top 30. Website is called, of all things, Hawaiigaga.:)

If you have 8 hours in total with the car, I'd allow half of that time for driving (it might take less, but better to err on the side of caution) - then 1 hour beach stop, 1 hour in Hawi, 1 hour or less at Pololu, and you have 1 hour lee-way.

The Mauna Lani resort is about 40 minutes north of Kailua Kona. Hawi and Pololu Valley are about the half way point in the drive. If you get to Hawi and you're concerned about time, skip Pololu (it's still worth the drive up 270 and back down 250.)

I like Hawaiigaga for photos - but be sure to check further for beach details, especially for when you're going to be there. Conditions change with the seasons, and time of day. Morning is usually best for beaches, so Kua might work on your way up the coast. I rely on beach advice from the Hawaii TA forum - in particular from one DE who is very familiar with the beaches on the BI - [URL="http://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g29217-i268-k8845500-Big_Island_Beaches_in_Late_December-Island_of_Hawaii_Hawaii.html#69355362"]here's her comments[/URL] on Kua Bay (see paragraph 2). Also, the TA reviews include details of conditions there - even the excellent reviews talk about rough conditions, but if you read through some of the average reviews, you'll get an idea of what to expect.

I think we will rent a car for sure... I am handicapped and cant walk longer than about a block or two at the most... Is there anything for me to see and take photos of with out a long walk.... where is a good and reasonable place to have lunch??? I thank you so very much for all of your help.... and wish you well... casperbks:confused:

I think we will rent a car for sure... I am handicapped and cant walk longer than about a block or two at the most... Is there anything for me to see and take photos of with out a long walk.... where is a good and reasonable place to have lunch??? I thank you so very much for all of your help.... and wish you well... casperbks:confused:

Casperbks - you're welcome:) The drive itself is very scenic - when you head north from Kailua Kona the road goes through lava fields (dried, not active) - quite a sight if you've never seen it to this extent before, and it goes on for miles. Then the scenic coastal drive and back down Kohala Mountain Road, so you'll get lots of great views just from the car.

I'm not sure about stops - but you could try the Fairmont Orchid at the Mauna Lani - ask the concierge if you can park in their lot (they should let you, and it should be free) - and if your husband is driving, he can let you out right at the hotel entrance. From there, you can walk to see the beach - although it's a different beach than Makaiwa, which I suggested above - they are at opposite ends of the resort.

Just a bit further north are Waialea Beach and Hapuna Beaches, but I can't remember what the walk is like from the parking lot, and I think both lots now charge $5. to park.

The beach at the Mauna Kea resort (Kaunoa Bay) is supposedly the nicest on the island (I haven't been) - but there are only about 20 or so public parking spots at the Mauna Kea hotel for beach goers - if you get an early start, I'd consider heading straight there to see if you can get one of the parking spots (i.e. skip the Mauna Lani resort area.)

The town of Hawi would be a good place for lunch (would check [URL="http://www.tripadvisor.ca/Restaurants-g60582-Hawi_Island_of_Hawaii_Hawaii.html"]tripadvisor reviews[/URL] for where to eat - we just had ice cream there, from Tropical Dreams - highly recommended!)

Here's [URL="http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29217-i268-k6996706-West_Side_Beaches_For_Top_Questions-Island_of_Hawaii_Hawaii.html"]a link to beach descriptions[/URL] for the west side of the Big Island. If you decide to explore with a rental, I'd suggest posting in the Island of Hawaii tripadvisor forum to ask about accessible places to stop along the way....I think you'll get some additional info that will help with your plans.:) Edited by Susan-M

We quite liked Hapuna beach on the kohala coast. Very doable for a nice long beach day, gorgeous long stretch of beach. Alternately, one I don't hear people talking about that I have started thinking about recently is Waipio Valley. It's an hour and a half each way from Kona, and you can take a 2 your tour through the valley. I plan to do this with my husband in a couple weeks when we go to Waikoloa for the weekend. It's a gorgeous valley with a rich history.

~Katy

kgymn - Waipio Valley is a popular destination, but maybe not so much as a day trip on a cruise.

Waipio is at the opposite end of Pololu, with several valleys in between - Waipio is at a higher elevation, so when viewing from above, a more scenic view - but Pololu is still very scenic, and the drive to it (up 270 and back down 250) is much more scenic IMO.

For a day trip from a cruise stop in Kailua Kona, I'd opt for Pololu, but if driving from the west side of the BI to the east side, or for a day trip that included a tour into the valley, then agree that it's a good destination. And some might enjoy the drive to it on a cruise stop, even if they don't have time for a tour into the valley and can only view from the lookout at the top.

[quote name='casperbks']What is there to see in Kona that I should rent a car... we are going to be on the Carnival Miracle and we are trying to decide to rent a car or just go to the beach that is by where we tender.... any help appreciated.. thank you:confused:[/QUOTE]

Just came back from Hawaii, and we loved the beach that you tender to, they have snorkel rental and the had stores right by the beach. It was a nice day relaxing at the beach.

[quote name='Susan-M']kgymn - Waipio Valley is a popular destination, but maybe not so much as a day trip on a cruise.

Waipio is at the opposite end of Pololu, with several valleys in between - Waipio is at a higher elevation, so when viewing from above, a more scenic view - but Pololu is still very scenic, and the drive to it (up 270 and back down 250) is much more scenic IMO.

For a day trip from a cruise stop in Kailua Kona, I'd opt for Pololu, but if driving from the west side of the BI to the east side, or for a day trip that included a tour into the valley, then agree that it's a good destination. And some might enjoy the drive to it on a cruise stop, even if they don't have time for a tour into the valley and can only view from the lookout at the top.[/QUOTE]

The drive time from Kona to both valleys is the same, so both are viable options for a day trip on a cruise. I suggest Waipio as an option because there are short tours taking you into the valley (I found none that take you into pololu) and it has those famous waterfalls. I have heard great things about the lookout at pololu. I think if I were just driving to see the view from the lookout I may choose pololu, but for actually going into the valley I'd choose Waipio.

~Katy

Agree - the total drive time isn't much different, but the views on the drive to Pololu and back again are more scenic than going to/from Waipio.

Tours into Pololu aren't done for two reasons - it's not a difficult hike down & back up, unless one has mobility issues, and there isn't a road into the valley like there is at Waipio.

I think Waipio has the more impressive view from the top because of the higher elevation than Pololu - but I haven't done a tour into Waipio valley. Doing a tour at Waipio on a cruise day might or might not work, depending on the ship's schedule in port and Waipio tour times.

Here's a google street view of [URL="https://www.google.ca/maps/@20.1176659,-155.5836644,3a,75y,328.17h,66.8t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sJa4eaq14jaAyrfLgjlDnuA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1"]the Waipio overlook [/URL] and of the [URL="https://www.google.ca/maps/@20.2037218,-155.733832,3a,75y,137.51h,58.1t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sXarCspSjoEgjThndk6VhVA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1"]Pololu Valley overlook[/URL] (the start of the trail can be seen at the right side of the photo.) Edited by Susan-M

I have actually been looking at the Waipio tours recently, and the one I am planning to do is only 2 hours, so 3 hours to/from Kona and 2 hour tour (10:30, 12:30, 2:30 times) most ships that are on for at least 6.5 hours should have plenty of time to do it. 6 hours may be cutting it close with picking up and dropping off the rental car, but 6.5 or more would be fine, it allows a whole hour and a half to deal with the rental car.

~Katy

I don't think it would be a problem on POA's schedule - but I might opt for the 12:30 tour in case of any delays with the tender or car pick up. One of the tours that I looked at wants you there 15 minutes ahead, and mentions allowing 2 hours from Kailua Kona for the drive - maybe more than you need, but I wouldn't rely on google maps because the times given for driving in Hawaii (and some other places) are often optimistic.

• 2 months later...
If you do decide to hang out around the pier area, let me put in a good word for Kona Boys Beach Shack. You can rent stand up paddle boards, kayaks, and just about any other water related sport from them, and they give instruction.

Had a wonderful time paddling the Kona Boys wa'a (outrigger canoe) today! I've done this a few times in Hawaii, but it was my partner's first time. No problem! Our Kona Boy, Ali'i (Justice) gave us a quick lesson on proper form with the paddle and off we went from the little beach in front of the King Kamehameha Beach Hotel (Courtyard by Marriott) onto the bay, right next to the pier where the cruise ships tender. Ali'i pointed out the features of the canoe and we got our rhythm right away, gliding along the calm waters of the bay. A large yacht, owned by local resident Paul Allen, was in the bay, giving us a great point of reference to "aim" for. Ali'i entertained us with a mix of local history, place names, and current events as we took short breaks between paddling.

At about one hour in duration, this is enough exercise to get the blood pumping, but it won't exhaust you. You also can do this with little or no experience, and you don't need to be an athlete. If you do it right, you shouldn't even get wet above the knees, and that's just entering and exiting the canoe at the beach.

Ali'i went above and beyond...that's the legendary spirit of Aloha you find on the Big Island. He gave us a couple of good lunch & dinner recommendations, and even gave us his phone number in case we needed any more local advice or wanted to come back and try any of their other water-based activities. We tipped 20% on our total... The Kona Boys (and wahine) all were super nice and work as a team to make customers feel at home.

The Kona Boys will give you a little safe deposit bag to store your wallet, keys, etc. and you can leave your footwear at the shack while you play.