Beaches in Kona (and getting around)

CatieM80

We will be in Kona on Sunday 1/24. We were thinking of doing a tour at Kona Joes in the morning (come into port at 10am) and then heading to the beach.

I have 2 questions. First, what beach would you recommend? We would like a good swimming beach. Second, what is the best way to get around in Kona? Taxi, uber, trolley/shuttle or join some kind of island tour? I'm open to any suggestions on how to spend a fun day in Kona!

Mahalo! :)

Catie

Edited by CatieM80
Wrong date

In Kona, most of what you want will be on Ali'i St. It's along the shore and a nice place to stroll. I'm not sure what you want in a swimming beach but at the pier there is a nice little protected beach area. You can also rent kayaks or paddle boards and venture out. There isn't any surf there so if you want to body surf that's not a good spot. The water is clear, warm and nice for swimming there so you won't need to rent a car.

My favorite beach was Kua Bay but you need to have a car to get there and parking is limited so you should arrive before 10am to get a good spot. It's north of town just past the airport. It's not marked but when you see the sign to the Veterans Cemetery to the right, the road to the beach is on the left, turn there. I've heard the water gets rough there in the winter so I have no idea what it is like now.

In Kona, most of what you want will be on Ali'i St. It's along the shore and a nice place to stroll. I'm not sure what you want in a swimming beach but at the pier there is a nice little protected beach area. You can also rent kayaks or paddle boards and venture out. There isn't any surf there so if you want to body surf that's not a good spot. The water is clear, warm and nice for swimming there so you won't need to rent a car.

My favorite beach was Kua Bay but you need to have a car to get there and parking is limited so you should arrive before 10am to get a good spot. It's north of town just past the airport. It's not marked but when you see the sign to the Veterans Cemetery to the right, the road to the beach is on the left, turn there. I've heard the water gets rough there in the winter so I have no idea what it is like now.

Thanks for the reply Cruisin Rick!

Kua Beach looked great! I was wondering about getting in there. It sounds like it fills up fast and you can't get in if the parking lot is full. Does that still apply if you take a taxi there? I saw King Kam beach as well, and that will be our back up if it is a very rough surf day.

Aloha... For swimming, take the Kona trolley ($2 per ride) or a taxi to Magic Sands beach on Ali'i Drive. For snorkeling take the trolley or a taxi to the next beach, Kahalu'u Bay. There's a snack wagon and place to rent snorkel gear and surfboards and the like at Kahalu'u Bay.

You can easily find the trolley schedule and stops online.

Enjoy and welcome to Kona!

PS - I'd suggest stopping into the ABC store at the King Kamehameha Beach Hotel right at the pier and getting a couple of cheap beach towels, beach mats, and some drinks and snacks. The towels can be souvenirs. That way, you wo t have to worry about keeping up with towels from the ship, or being overly laden on the tender ashore. If you don't want to take them back, you can usually find a local family at the beach to give them to. Both beaches I mentioned have restrooms and shower facilities. Enjoy!

PS - I'd suggest stopping into the ABC store at the King Kamehameha Beach Hotel right at the pier and getting a couple of cheap beach towels, beach mats, and some drinks and snacks. The towels can be souvenirs. That way, you wo t have to worry about keeping up with towels from the ship, or being overly laden on the tender ashore. If you don't want to take them back, you can usually find a local family at the beach to give them to. Both beaches I mentioned have restrooms and shower facilities. Enjoy!

Great suggestions coyboy1971! Thank you so much! I thought Magic Sands looked really nice, but had read that the winter storms usually wash the sand out. So I was worried we might not have much of a beach to enjoy there. ;) I definitely think that will be our stop if it's still sandy in 3 weeks.

Aloha... For swimming, take the Kona trolley ($2 per ride) or a taxi to Magic Sands beach on Ali'i Drive. For snorkeling take the trolley or a taxi to the next beach, Kahalu'u Bay. There's a snack wagon and place to rent snorkel gear and surfboards and the like at Kahalu'u Bay.

You can easily find the trolley schedule and stops online.

Enjoy and welcome to Kona!

Direct question for Cowboy who apparently lives their. Same situation. Coming into Kona off Solstice ship. Need to get to Kahaluu Beach. The Kona trolley , if you download the time schedule, shows a 10:20 pier pick-up, but after doing stops does not get to Beach until 11:20. That's an hour for the 5 miles direct to Beach.

Options???

What is the Alii Shuttle. That picks up at King Kam Hotel and does a few stops and goes to Keauhou.

Great suggestions coyboy1971! Thank you so much! I thought Magic Sands looked really nice, but had read that the winter storms usually wash the sand out. So I was worried we might not have much of a beach to enjoy there. ;) I definitely think that will be our stop if it's still sandy in 3 weeks.

It's called magic sands because the sands can disappear and reappear overnight. It's pretty sandy right now.

Direct question for Cowboy who apparently lives their. Same situation. Coming into Kona off Solstice ship. Need to get to Kahaluu Beach. The Kona trolley , if you download the time schedule, shows a 10:20 pier pick-up, but after doing stops does not get to Beach until 11:20. That's an hour for the 5 miles direct to Beach.

Options???

What is the Alii Shuttle. That picks up at King Kam Hotel and does a few stops and goes to Keauhou.

I've never done the Ali'i Shuttle. Honestly, I'd grab a taxi, especially for 2 or more people. Get the driver's cell phone number...they are very good about keeping their word for your return trip. I've used Kona Taxi and Cruz'n Taxi when I don't want to drive into town, and I like both.

Options???

Hi WAVTAM,

I checked out the Alii shuttle but looks like it doesn't run on Sunday's, which is when we will be there on the Miracle. Otherwise, looked like a good option!

Catie

• 2 weeks later...

I'll agree with the local and say go to Kahalu'u Beach, but hit the ABC for the mats. When I go the Big Island, this is the first beach I hit, just to get my snorkel groove back on. It's not a big beach, rather small, and it has a very rocky entrance into the water. But the fish and the occasional turtle make it fun for me. After that one, I head up North and spend my time at Hapuna - love the bodysurfing there.