Luxury?

Cruise-y

Hello

I've never sailed this cruise line and I was wondering about the cabins and food. I realize the views are spectacular but cabins and food are important to me. Can someone tell me the best ship in this line to use if I want a bit of luxury? Are there choices on the fixed menus or just one offering?

Also, do any of the stops last for more than a few hours? Or is this really a ferry? I would like to rent a car in some ports for some day trips.

Thank you

Based on your questions it seems that a conventional cruise line might be more for you. Check into Crystal Cruises, Viking Oceans, etc. Their port stops are long enough (6-10 hours or more)to rent a car and the menus are varied with many delicious options. I loved Hurtigruten and plan on going again, but it's a much different experience than a luxury cruise line.

Hurtigruten is probably not for you. Dress is casual. No formal nights (thank goodness!). I wore jeans and cords the entire trip. No fancy shows, art auctions, bingo, or other "entertainments", just beautiful scenery and opportunities to meet fisherman and other locals at events on the upper deck.

Food was good. Breakfast and lunch are buffets, with plenty of good quality food, although not what you might think of as fine cuisine. Dinner is a set menu...take it or leave it. 3 courses. I was never disappointed, or hungry, after a dinner. Most of the food was locally sourced, and nicely presented. We did have one woman at my table for part of the cruise who did not eat seafood. She had a problem...but was able to get by with the vegetarian option for most of her dinners. On some of the ships there is an optional (additional charge) restaurant (dinners only) where you get upgraded food, but still with a limited selection (you choose the number of courses you want).

My cabin was an inside on deck 4. Basic, certainly not luxurious but I was only there to sleep, bathe and dress. Spent all my time in the Vista Lounge or outside looking at the views. The newer ships are going to be more stylishly decorated, if that is what you need, but you will most likely want to book a suite to meet your needs.

You can book your cruise in segments, on different ships, to allow you to spend more time and rent a car at most of the ports.