Electric Adapter For Hairdryers In Italy

Debzee

I am looking for a basic electric adapter for my hairdryer while staying in Italy. Any recommendations? Thank you

Robert & Debra

First - is your hairdryer dual-voltage? If it isn't, leave it at home and buy a new one. If it isn't dual-voltage, then you also need to pack a converter. Not worth it.

Second - your dual-voltage hairdryer will need just the standard US/Canada to EU adapter. You can find them online at Amazon.com, REI.com, or any number of sites. Or, go to your local WalMart or Radio Shack.

First - is your hairdryer dual-voltage? If it isn't, leave it at home and buy a new one. If it isn't dual-voltage, then you also need to pack a converter. Not worth it.

Second - your dual-voltage hairdryer will need just the standard US/Canada to EU adapter. You can find them online at Amazon.com, REI.com, or any number of sites. Or, go to your local WalMart or Radio Shack.

Totally agree. We used an adapter, and got alot less power. Not only that, when we got home, we had to buy a new blower b/c it didn't work....Maybe the hotel has a blower?

Most travel adapters are only good for around 1500-1600 watts while most blow dryers are 1875 watts (

or more). All you end up doing is burning up your blow dryer if it's not dual voltage.

I find hotels and even apartments normally come equipped with hair dryers anymore. They're often not the latest models (ionic, tourmaline, etc), but it's a lot better than burning up yours. As already mentioned I'd contact where you're staying and ask.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Now we are mixing "converters" with "adaptors." An Adaptor is simply a small conversion plug that lets you plug an American/Canadian type plug into the round prong Western European (excluding the UK) 220-240 Volt sockets. An adaptor has no limitation or impact regardless of the wattage of the appliance. So if you have a duel voltage dryer (all of our travel appliances are duel voltage) it will work with the simple adaptor. Some dryers will function better then others at the higher voltages, but any proper duel voltage device should be fine.

When you get into voltage "converters" that is an entirely different matter where converters often have various wattage ranges. But converters are no necessary for duel voltage appliances.

To find out if your dryer (or any other device) is duel voltage just look on the device (or its plug) for the fine print that tells you. If it says something like" 110-240, 50-60 Cycle" then you are good to go with just a simple inexpensive adaptor. We own several sets of adaptors (which handle different configurations all over the world) which are quite cheap and can be found online or in many travel stores or even places like Target.

If you do not have a duel voltage dryer we suggest buying a travel dryer rather then messing around with more costly "converters" which can be more pricy and give uneven results. By the way, nearly all cell phone and computer chargers are duel voltage.

Hank