Ships docking or not in Roatan due to the civil unrest (MERGED THREADS)

JBuffettPH

This was posted on the NCL board but if there is very little coverage of this in the news. Does anyone know anything about this? We are going to be on the Jewel that has a scheduled stop there in early November.

Someone found something about it was a protest related to an increase in Electric rates but no confirmation of that can be found.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

The Legend stopped there on Friday and other than hearing about the situation from our tour guide, we would have never known there had been a problem at all. We felt perfectly safe (well, other than the near miss on our bus :eek: ) and I feel that visiting Roatan was a very positive experience that will stay with me forever.

In hindsight, though, it seems that Carnival should have at least mentioned this to us, as some people may have chosen to remain on the ship. Personally, I would have preferred to be informed. I would have continued with my plans, but with a more watchful eye.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all - I'll be on the Nov. 15 Carnival Glory Western Caribbean cruise.. just to get an idea of how things are going on this week's cruise (same itinerary), I was monitoring the Nov 1st 2008 Glory Roll Call message thread. Someone mentioned that 'civil unrest/economic strike' has reared its head again and the Glory ended up scratching Roatan for their trip. I've tried looking for more news on this but I can't seem to find any mention of it.

Has anyone heard about there being more problems again? Anyone know how long the problems went on earlier this year? Just wondering if we'll be able to make it to Roatan or if it will be an extra 'fun day at sea'.

Sorry to report but it seems the problems are back and it sounds like they are getting worse and not better. Carnival Glory pulled into port and left without debarkation. There is a report on the Carnival Glory section on this as well. Most people are staying home and waiting it out. I wouldn't plan on it ending any time soon

we are on the ncl jewel and found out yesterday because of the unt\rest we are rerouted to cozumel (bummer) instead...I guess withthe rough weather from the storm, its all for the best but from the captains announcement another ship cancelled its port of call yesterday.

thats all i know from out here jsut thought i'd update the board

This thread has had a major removal of posts due to various reasons. Per the Guidelines:

Harassment, Flaming, Disruption and Trolls

The harassment of our members is not allowed.

Cruise Critic is committed to providing an online environment that is free from these types of harassing postings. Please, don't attack another poster or group of posters. Do not harass, threaten, embarrass, or do anything else to another member that is unwanted. This means: don't say bad things about them, don't keep sending them unwanted Instant Message notes, don't attack their race, heritage, or their sexual orientation, etc. If you disagree with someone, respond to the subject, not the person. Postings of this nature will be removed from the boards.

Do not post details or private information about any other person. Do not attempt to impersonate another person, either real or virtual.

Postings that have been placed on the boards to disrupt the flow of conversation or otherwise disrupt Cruise Critic members' enjoyment of the Community will be removed and you run the risk of losing your posting privileges. This would include, but is not limited to, the posting of essentially the same message over and over in response to different threads on the forums or utilizing the features of our Community to transmit messages of a personal nature. However, the determination of what constitutes "disruption" will be the sole determination of the Community Manager.

Final Note

Cruise Critic is a privately-owned Company and your participation within our Community is a privilege, not a right. Management reserves the right to take action against any member who is deemed to be devoted purely to disruption or consistently violates our Community Guidelines. This action will result in the complete banning of your username, e-mail address and IP address. All decisions regarding removal of posting privileges are made on a case-by-case basis, and shall remain final.

Also:

Other Cruise Professionals, Tour Operators, Destination Website Owners, Guides and Property & Business Owners

Cruise Professionals, tour operators, tour guides and property & business owners (and their associates, employees or designated representative) are also encouraged to participate in the discussions on the Cruise Board and establish themselves as experts on a particular topic by responding to members' inquiries with useful answers. They may not, however, list or refer members to their World Wide Web sites. They may not include their "business name" in their signatures, nor may they include their website link in their profile. No promotional material or conducting tour business, is allowed. This includes mentioning pickup locations, scheduling times of tours, confirmation of events/deposits/e-mail receipt, etc (and any other discussion determined to be of a customer service nature in the sole discretion of Cruise Critic. Only items of a general nature may be posted on the forums.

Local experts living in ports of call are encouraged to contribute, as long as their recommendations are general in nature. Those living in ports of call who recommend individual business or tour operators will find that their posts have been removed and their posting privileges suspended.

And finally:

Copyright Infringements

The posting of large blocks of text obtained from the Internet, online newspapers, web sites, magazines, etc., defeats the purpose of our Cruise Boards. All of this information is available to everyone online, and doesn't add to the idea of sharing firsthand experiences and cruise advice. Also, the majority of information out there is protected by an author's individual copyright. Therefore, we will remove such information from the message boards. You may LINK via url to the information.

However, Cruise Line press releases are welcome on the boards, if you clearly indicate the source.

Please remember this thread should stay on-topic for the forum concerning cruising to and from this port of call and the tours, excursions & transportation available. Please note the thread title has been changed. The "politics" of the island are off-topic. Please feel free to continue to post the ships docking or not due to the unrest, but please refrain from discussing the "politics" involved.

Per the Guidelines we all agreed to follow when we registered for our free membership:

... You should also know that the discussion of our management policies and procedures -- including post deletions-- is considered off-topic discussion for our cruise boards and will also be removed without notice. As mentioned above, all decisions regarding any action taken by management shall remain final...

Also posted many places on the boards:

Questions, comments & concerns regarding the management of our message boards should be directed to: community@cruisecritic.com. Posts regarding these issues will be removed.

Kat

So sad to hear this is happening. I was in roatan in June and I am planning a trip for New Years. We had a blast last year when we stayed at the Mayan princess. Its a beautiful place. The people are friendly and very nice. We went to this great restaurant with an incredible view, and the food was really good!

I remember the hotel was having power outages though, but no major issue because they had a generator or got energy from a hotel next to it i think.

Hopefully they find a solution to their problems soon and that the people are safe.

I dont think this should be an issue to not visit though. Its definitely worth my dollars. I live in New York, i saw the twin towers go down, some protesting does'nt scare me at all.

My family and I Cant wait to go for New Years. This is a beautiful place. Hopefully the power outages arent too bad.:D

we are on the ncl jewel and found out yesterday because of the unt\rest we are rerouted to cozumel (bummer) instead...I guess withthe rough weather from the storm, its all for the best but from the captains announcement another ship cancelled its port of call yesterday.

The other ship was the Carnival Glory...on which I was a paying customer. We docked.....we watied......we waited....we waited....we left. Apparently the Hondouran govenment could not guarantee the safety of paying guests. Our party of six waved US hundred dollar bills as we departed from this port which, IMHO, was the premier port-of-call for this crusie. Hondouras' loss... Carnival's gain as we spent the money aboard ship.

NLC Pearl left MIA today and is supposed to visit Roatan on 11/11. Anyone on that ship heard whether or not the port call is still expected to happen? Please update us if you have any information. We're supposed to be there on the Pearl on 11/25.

Thanks!

I was surprised to see the admin had to get involved with this thread but I hadn't been following the thread since getting on the Jewel on oct 28th so I'm not sure what had all transpired and wasnt going to pay the .53/c minute to use the internet to catch up while on the Jewel.

I was surprised at some of the passengers reactions. We were really looking forward to going to Roatan but the reactionof some passengers toward the customerservice desk...wow a couple of people came unhinged and we heard more reports of it. I came to this site and found the link to the state department warning and all I could think of was how greatful I was for them looking out for our safety and well being.

That also brings me back to what a great resource this site is and how cool it is to be able to right after the captain makes an announcement of this type to be able to go to the internet cafe on board and quickly assess the seriousness and gravity of the situation(and look for opportunities to make the most of a new port of call.

Thanks for all who posted and added to this. I hope they resolve things and someday we will have the chance to see Roatan.

Archived