Docking at 1PM at Port Canaveral. Not on ship excursion. Earliest departure?

Cinderellie

We are a group of 10 on the Norwegian Gem docking in Port Canaveral in May at 1PM. We are NOT doing a ship's excursion but are searching for other options for fun things for our 8 20-something kids and dates.

Not having docked in Port Canaveral before, can you disembark right away once the ship docks? Or do you have to wait until the ship excursion guests get off first? Has anyone been on this itinerary and wanted to get off quickly, but not on a ship's tour?

When do you think it is likely we will be able to disembark?

Advice and insights, please.

Gem frequent cruisers can tell you their actual experiences. Mine is a guess based on what I often see after the ship docks.

I notice the first passengers depart in cruise line buses around 1:30pm (bear in mind the buses wait until full so folks actually got off even earlier).

To be safe, I think you can plan to be off the ship about an hour after docking - meaning 2pm if the ship docks on time. Any earlier will be a bonus.

For things to do, please pick a few things from the long list of activities presented in this guide below then we can provide more guidance based on your interests! How are you planning to get around? Car, taxis, ?

Guide for Cruisers - What to See and Do During Port Canaveral Cruise Visits.

Gem frequent cruisers can tell you their actual experiences. Mine is a guess based on what I often see after the ship docks.

I notice the first passengers depart in cruise line buses around 1:30pm (bear in mind the buses wait until full so folks actually got off even earlier).

To be safe, I think you can plan to be off the ship about an hour after docking - meaning 2pm if the ship docks on time. Any earlier will be a bonus.

For things to do, please pick a few things from the long list of activities presented in this guide below then we can provide more guidance based on your interests! How are you planning to get around? Car, taxis, ?

Guide for Cruisers - What to See and Do During Port Canaveral Cruise Visits.

This is an excellent guide! Wow!

I was thinking of just staying onboard, but we have two "newbies" that have never been to Cocoa Beach so we may get off and enjoy some Florida fun after all.

We are a group of six and also on the Gem which docks in CT10. So we will need to Uber (never done it) or taxi or rent a car.... Suggestions?

We are a group of six and also on the Gem which docks in CT10. So we will need to Uber (never done it) or taxi or rent a car.... Suggestions?

with 6 I would suggest renting a car/van ..... if you stay in the Cocoa Beach area it is very difficult to get lost and the traffic is very light most of the time .. this is a small beach community 'cept for the port! A rental lets you try several spots at less cost IMO.

The link provided has rental car info .... IMO National/Enterprise/Alamo is your best choice due to location, but you can see what others are available and shop your best price. The rental place will NOT be open when you want to return the car, but they have night drop boxes .... you would want to drop everyone at the boat and have ONE return the car, then taxi/uber the one back to the boat.

Why? IF you dock at T-10, aka A-10 in the link provided, this is in the 'north or A side' and accessible via a drawbridge over the Canaveral Barge Canal. Not clear in the link, but unless something has changed recently this bridge is closed to foot traffic ..... port security WILL stop you.

Two editorial comments:

- folks have mentioned a 1PM arrival ..... many times cruise ship schedules given to the passengers list arrival time as the time they expect to be able to begin disembarking folks ... they actually arrive earlier in order to get all the formalities done. Checking the port schedule for GEM in the near future, I see a port arrival time of 1130 . . . so I'd expect that the gangway will be open by 1.

- GEM IS scheduled for T-10 on the port schedule but I've noted recently that ships scheduled for T-10 have NOT been parking there. Dunno what's up .... just sayin' ..... must be some work going on that isn't being discussed, just worked around.