Leaving in a week, just a few questions about Hilo

Bettyboop66

I'm leaving next Sunday for a 15 day cruise to Hawaii and I have a few questions about Hilo.

Has anyone done the Hoppa on Hoppa Off bus lately? If so, how was it? Did you have to wait a long time for buses at the different spots? I've seen reviews here, but they all seem older.

Looking to maybe go to Richardson Beach in Hilo, I've read some pretty good reviews and thought we might give it a try. Do they have snorkle equipment rental there? Is there anywhere close to the port in Hilo where we might be able to buy the equipment? My luggage already weighs too much to bring any with us:).

Or if anyone has a good ides of other places to snorkle in Hilo that would be easy to get to, it's about the only island where we'll have time to do this.

You might want to recheck your guide book on Hawaii (I hope you have at least one). Hilo is not known for its beaches. At least that's from my research in the past.

Thanks, we do have a few guide books, I know that there are better islands for this, We really enjoyed going in Maui, but this cruise we have some other things we're doing and I read a few good reviews online about Richardson Beach. I know it won't be the best snorkling but I thought it would be better than nothing, and give us something to do while there. We've been to VNP and don't really want to go again. Thanks again for your help!!

Edited by Bettyboop66

One of my favorite beaches in Hilo is Honolii Beach Park. I don't know about the snorkeling there though. There are restrooms and you could pick up a nice lunch to take.

Richardson's is very popular. I know what you mean about luggage. If you are snorkeling on other islands, Snorkel Bob's lets you rent on one island and return on another, so if Hilo is not your first stop you might look into this.

The Wal Mart and Long's Drugs might have snorkel equipment but you should call the stores directly to make sure.

Have a great cruise. Cherie