Car rentals

merle65

Can someone tell me which car rental company is close to pride of america dock?.Want to rent a car when we get off ship for a few hours.Our flight leaves at 5:40.What do most people do after ship docks and you have all your luggage with you.Is this the best idea?

If read down the board, there are tons of threads on this topic. Hertz has been providing a limited hours desk at the Terminal, however, all cars for all of the agencies are at the airport, and you will have to shuttle to the airport to p/u your car.

As to luggage, check on the NCL board to see if they have a "Luggage Direct" type program, where your bags go direct from your cabin to the airport, and you don't see them until your home airport. That would only leave you with your important carry ons. They go in the trunk of your car.

The other main choice is a tour, either with the cruise line, or with a vender like the well known Roberts. In that case, your bags go in the belly of the bus.

Edited by CruiserBruce

Can someone tell me which car rental company is close to pride of america dock?.Want to rent a car when we get off ship for a few hours.Our flight leaves at 5:40.What do most people do after ship docks and you have all your luggage with you.Is this the best idea?

With a 5:40 flight your options may be limited. It's normally "time" versus "cost", but for you time is more important. We have a 11:00pm flight time but I research all the options.

1) Take the cruise shuttle or cab to the airport and get a rental car. The shuttle cost will offset any car savings but if you report a flight before noon to NCL you may get off the ship first.

2) Renting from a nearby company will have a airport drop-off fee (aprox $50) and you still have to get there from the ship. Walk or cab may cut into time or cost.

3) Take an organized tour with drop-off at the airport. With the ship it will cost $25-$50 more per person. You should be able to make a 10am pick-up time by a private tour company easily from what I've read. A 5 hour tour would be perfect for you.

For us, I will choose taking a cab to the airport ($25) and have already booked a car for $25. (hopefully by 10am) I liked the idea of a tour but don't really want to be at the airport before 8pm. We'll see sights during the day and drop off the car after dinner.

You'll probably need to be at the airport before 3:30 so a tour may be the best use of your time. You don't want to waste the 1 hr. travel and check-in time to get the car.