Toulon, France?? NCL 12 day Mediterranean

meganelise

What are some suggestions for Toulon? The day we will be there, the market wont even be open, and it will be early November. So should we just count it as a down day? Should we head to Cassis? Marseille? Also, has anyone tried to take a train to Arles? Any suggestions are GREATLY appreciated!

Megan

We took a ship's tour to an old ancient town. It had a lot of old buildings, an old church, cobble stone roads, etc. and even this neat out door food,flower, and miscellaneous items market. I forget the name but I enjoyed it and if I remember correctly we only spent like $50 each for the tour. My daughter took a different ship's tour and visited an olive oil factory. There were plenty to choose from and most were not super expensive. Just check out your ship's tours.

WE did the same cruise on NCL last year. It was fantastic! We are not big on ship excursions but prefer to do it on our own. However…this port we did the ship excision to Axe en Provence. It was an interesting a beautiful ride to this lovely town. There happened to be a market ope in the town square but even if that isn't there it is still a lovely winding cobblestone town with charming shops and restaurants. This is the town where Cezzane lived (and died) and got a lot of his inspiration for his artwork. The excursion does a tour of the town then allows for free time. We choose to have the bus drop us in town and spent the day on our own,and met up with the bus for the ride back to the port. I don't know if this would interest you but it was a lovely day in a very port intensive trip. Have a great time!

WE did the same cruise on NCL last year. It was fantastic! We are not big on ship excursions but prefer to do it on our own. However…this port we did the ship excision to Axe en Provence. It was an interesting a beautiful ride to this lovely town. There happened to be a market ope in the town square but even if that isn't there it is still a lovely winding cobblestone town with charming shops and restaurants. This is the town where Cezzane lived (and died) and got a lot of his inspiration for his artwork. The excursion does a tour of the town then allows for free time. We choose to have the bus drop us in town and spent the day on our own,and met up with the bus for the ride back to the port. I don't know if this would interest you but it was a lovely day in a very port intensive trip. Have a great time!

that is it Axe. I knew it began with an A and was on syllable-lol!

Just a thing - it is spelled "Aix" ;)

You are right! but what the heck-all I remembered was it was 3 letters and began with an "A."

We picked our cruise for the 4 ports in Italy and the fact it overnighted in Venice. We were simply looking for something to do, as we had no ideas what was around there. The Italian ports, we knew what we wanted to do; Pompeii, the Roman coliseum and forum, Pisa, Rialto Bridge and St. Marks Square. We had toured another old town, near Bordeaux a few years earlier and found it really interesting so we decided on that tour. St. Emilion? I think it was called. The difference of course is Aix is still a thriving town on it's own whereas the other was mostly a tourist stop.

We did the 12 Day Grand Mediterranean cruise on NCL Spirit last year...loved it!

We took the ship excursion to St. Tropez and Grimaud. I'd heard of St. Tropez and thought it'd be fun to actually get to see the place. It was :D:cool:. Just walked along the harbor looking at the yachts and restaurants, listening to the guide tell of the area and the rich and famous that have been here. Grimaud is a modern town that was purposefully planned to be like Venice by having canals. Pretty town, though not historical like Venice.

I'm very happy to have gone to St. Tropez and Grimaud - always get a big grin on my face just thinking about having strolled St. Tropez! Next time :p:cool: we'll see some new territory by going to Aix en Provence because a lot of our fellow shipmates enjoyed their time there.

You can't go wrong whatever you choose to do. Enjoy that wonderful cruise!