Dubrovnik (Old Town & Cable Car)???

Will be in Dubrovnik on Saturday, June 25, 2011, on HAL's Nieuw Amsterdam. Would like to know where we will be docking, and is it feasible to walk to the Cable Car from the dock, if so, how far is it? How long of a wait is it usually at the cable car? Would like to go to the Old Town after that. Sounds like the return cable car ride will take us to the Ploce Gate at the eastern entrance. Is that good? Also, would love to experience some local food since I am half Croatian. What would you recommend? :)

Will be in Dubrovnik on Saturday, June 25, 2011, on HAL's Nieuw Amsterdam. Would like to know where we will be docking, and is it feasible to walk to the Cable Car from the dock, if so, how far is it? How long of a wait is it usually at the cable car? Would like to go to the Old Town after that. Sounds like the return cable car ride will take us to the Ploce Gate at the eastern entrance. Is that good? Also, would love to experience some local food since I am half Croatian. What would you recommend? :)

Your ship will be docked at the Gruz harbor, our newer port. Yes, you could walk to the old town but it would be wasting far too much of your limited time here.

You may want to use a taxi to take you directly to the entrance and usually there is not much of a wait since it only takes 4 minutes to reach the top. Entrance and exit are at the same place which is closest to the Ploce gate entrance to the old town. Last year they accepted credit card and Croatian Kuna, but no Euros or Dollars.

We have a vast selection of restaurants, most of them will be serving Dalmatian style cooking. Fresh fish, black risotto and mixed grill are popular items at all our our local Konabas. Do keep in mind that a sea view does not always mean great food. I am not able to recommend any particular restaurant, since I am a local resident. You may want to continue to do more research on local restaurants.

Enjoy your day here.

Thank you so much for your input. Just to clarify, are you suggesting that we take a taxi to the cable car, and then once we have finished with that, the entrance to the Old Town will be near by? :)

Thank you so much for your input. Just to clarify, are you suggesting that we take a taxi to the cable car, and then once we have finished with that, the entrance to the Old Town will be near by? :)

Yes, that is exactly what I mean. You will get a better feel for the layout of the old town from the mountain top view. Cable car entrance is located very close to Ploce entrance.

Take a peak at some of my other threads, you will find the website to download the map of town. It has 2 sides and will help you get your bearings.

We are docking at Dubrovnik on 3rd July 1pm and I would like to see the Old Town, walk the wall and take a cable car ride however I am aware that is a lot to cram into a short time.

Does anyone know for sure where we will dock (NCL Jade) and how best to approach the above ie taxi v bus, wall 1st or cable car 1st - what time do the wall and cable cars finish in the day?

Any additional info re curreny, prices for above and bus no's if applicable would be most helpful

We are docking at Dubrovnik on 3rd July 1pm and I would like to see the Old Town, walk the wall and take a cable car ride however I am aware that is a lot to cram into a short time.

Does anyone know for sure where we will dock (NCL Jade) and how best to approach the above ie taxi v bus, wall 1st or cable car 1st - what time do the wall and cable cars finish in the day?

Any additional info re curreny, prices for above and bus no's if applicable would be most helpful

Jade will be at anchor at the port closest to the old town which means your tender will bring you steps away from the entrance.

Your ship is here from 1300 until 2100, more than enough time to walk the wall, ride the cable car and wander around the old town. You may not be able to see all of our historical and cultural sights, but research will help you decide which may interest you. The walls open at 0800 and close at 1900, but that may change to later by 01 June, cable car runs until 2100 during the season.

Cost for the wall is 70 kuna per person, NO euros, dollars, pounds or credit cards. Cable car is 80 kuna and they accept credit cards. You can obtain Croatian kuna from any of the ATM machines located on the Stradun (main promenade).

• 3 weeks later...

We will be on the Voyager of the Sea and docking in Dubrovnik on 6 July. Does anyone know where we will be docking at or will we be tendered in? Just trying to plan ahead and thanks in advance for any advice

On a recent port stop in Dubrovnik we took a taxi from the ship to Old Town and walked the wall in the morning. Then a taxi back to the ship for lunch and to catch the ship tour for the cable car. There was plenty of time.

Lots of pictures here:

http://www.zydecocruiser.com/CarnivalMagic/May_10_2011/index.htm#DUB

I think most are geotagged. I need to find the GPS track which is kind of interesting (or not) and will post that later.

Enjoy!

We will be on the Voyager of the Sea and docking in Dubrovnik on 6 July. Does anyone know where we will be docking at or will we be tendered in? Just trying to plan ahead and thanks in advance for any advice

Your ship will be docked at our Gruz harbor port at pier 12. This means a ship shuttle bus or private taxi which costs 75 Croatian Kuna or 10 Euros.

The old town has already become very busy, you must plan ahead. Best source is our tourist bureau website and do download the map, you will need it.

Please could anyone give me directions from the old harbour to the cable car so I can print off and take with me.

Many thanks

The old port has 2 small piers and normally they use the one closest to the wall. Walk along the piers past the big restaurant located under the 3 big arches. Turn left and go thru another arch, turn right and follow the road upwards toward the Ploce exit of the old town. As you exit the Ploce gate, the harbor on your right and Lara bar just across the road. Do not cross the road yet, turn right and walk with the old walled town on your left until you see the zebra crosswalk. Cross the road, stay next to the last set of buildings on your right and parking lot on left. Walk towards the awning with a pizza joint advertised (do not eat there) and up the steps which are hidden by green foliage. That is the entrance to the cable car.

Can you recommend some place with good food. We have children in our group, so it would be great if they serve something for them

The cable car entrance is closest to the Ploce gate, which is the eastern side of town. If you're arriving at Pile, then you need to walk the entire town, exit at the arch and up the hill to the Ploce exit. From there you still need to continue up to the cable car.

Depending on how many tourists are on the Stradun (main promenade) it may take you 1/2 hour or a bit more if you stop for a photo or coffee or a shop.

Personally I would hire a taxi to drop me at the cable car entrance and make my way back to the old town after I've been to the top of the mountain.

Can you recommend some place with good food. We have children in our group, so it would be great if they serve something for them

We were just in Dubrovnik last week and had lunch at Komarda Restaurant based on good reviews on other travel websites. The view was superb and the food was quite good. Prices were reasonable. It is located just outside the wall near the Ploce gate. We liked that there was a cool breeze there which restaurants inside the city walls didn't have. They had a pasta dish with meat sauce that my daughter enjoyed.

As an additional note, last week they were accepting credit cards for tickets to walk the wall, but we had gotten cash in advance just in case.

The cable car entrance is closest to the Ploce gate, which is the eastern side of town. If you're arriving at Pile, then you need to walk the entire town, exit at the arch and up the hill to the Ploce exit. From there you still need to continue up to the cable car.

Depending on how many tourists are on the Stradun (main promenade) it may take you 1/2 hour or a bit more if you stop for a photo or coffee or a shop.

Personally I would hire a taxi to drop me at the cable car entrance and make my way back to the old town after I've been to the top of the mountain.

Thanks very much for this. It sounds like a taxi from the ship to the Ploce Gate would be the best idea.

One last question..... Can you HOHO the Cabrio bus? Just wondering whether once we've been up the Cable Car, we could start our 2 hour bus tour from there rather than have to walk back to the Pile Gate.

Thanks, Sandra

Hi Dubrovniktravelady - I have a question about your comment re the Jade's anchoring. By the "port closest to the old town", do you mean the Ploce Gate on the east side? Thanks so much!!

Joyce

When Jade will be at anchor at the port closest to the old town which means your tender will bring you steps away from the entrance.

Your ship is here from 1300 until 2100, more than enough time to walk the wall, ride the cable car and wander around the old town. You may not be able to see all of our historical and cultural sights, but research will help you decide which may interest you. The walls open at 0800 and close at 1900, but that may change to later by 01 June, cable car runs until 2100 during the season.

Cost for the wall is 70 kuna per person, NO euros, dollars, pounds or credit cards. Cable car is 80 kuna and they accept credit cards. You can obtain Croatian kuna from any of the ATM machines located on the Stradun (main promenade).

Thanks very much for this. It sounds like a taxi from the ship to the Ploce Gate would be the best idea.

One last question..... Can you HOHO the Cabrio bus? Just wondering whether once we've been up the Cable Car, we could start our 2 hour bus tour from there rather than have to walk back to the Pile Gate.

Thanks, Sandra

Since I am not sure, what do you mean by HoHo exactly? I am guessing if it means you can get off and on, but am not sure. If that is it, the answer is no, it only makes 2 photo stops and I doubt if you would want to hang out at either of the stops. Pick up is at the regular bus stop just outside the Ploce gate, be prepared to wave it down. You can't miss the bright orange color, sun roof but no windows. Make sure you have the schedule and be prepared for some traffic jams if deliveries are being made.

Hi Dubrovniktravelady - I have a question about your comment re the Jade's anchoring. By the "port closest to the old town", do you mean the Ploce Gate on the east side? Thanks so much!!

Joyce

When Jade will be at anchor at the port closest to the old town which means your tender will bring you steps away from the entrance.

Yes and no. The Ploce gate is not near the Porporela pier, it is located much above it. You will arrive just a few steps from the entrance archway into the old town. Again, folks download the town map, it will help you with locations.

Since I am not sure, what do you mean by HoHo exactly? I am guessing if it means you can get off and on, but am not sure. If that is it, the answer is no, it only makes 2 photo stops and I doubt if you would want to hang out at either of the stops. Pick up is at the regular bus stop just outside the Ploce gate, be prepared to wave it down. You can't miss the bright orange color, sun roof but no windows. Make sure you have the schedule and be prepared for some traffic jams if deliveries are being made.

Hi Dubrovniktravelady. Yes I did mean "Hop On, Hop Off", and whilst it isn't this type of tour bus, you seem to have answered my query by indicating I can get on it at the Ploce Gate, or the other main stop, the Pile Gate. Thanks very much for your information it is much appreciated, and I will now print off the schedule and maps.

On our last trip to Dubrovnik we took the ship's shuttle to the Pile gate. We enterred the city and found the street/path that led up to the gate near the cable car. We were not in a rush and I'd guess that a leisurely pace it took a little over 1/2 hour or more. There are a lot of stairs up to the gate.

We rode the cable car up and down and returned to the city. Just inside the gate there was a restaurateur, Mario was his name but I can't recall the name of the restaurant, soliciting customers for a small sidewalk cafe on small side street. We had a coffee and lite lunch with a couple dishes he recommended that were just fantastic - well beyond our expectations and very reasonably priced.

Then spent the rest of the day touring the city and walking the walls before returning to the ship.

A wonderful day and photos at:http://simon-pics.smugmug.com/Cruises/Century-Sept-2010/Dubrovnik-Croatia/15180327_bYxkF#1135500654_JabtU

Dubrovniktravelady - if you know the name of this restuarant I'd love to know it. I have another photo of it from up on the wall over the gate (Ploce gate?) looking down: click here.

Edited by Lsimon

On our last trip to Dubrovnik we took the ship's shuttle to the Pile gate. We enterred the city and found the street/path that led up to the gate near the cable car. We were not in a rush and I'd guess that a leisurely pace it took a little over 1/2 hour or more. There are a lot of stairs up to the gate.

We rode the cable car up and down and returned to the city. Just inside the gate there was a restaurateur, Mario was his name but I can't recall the name of the restaurant, soliciting customers for a small sidewalk cafe on small side street. We had a coffee and lite lunch with a couple dishes he recommended that were just fantastic - well beyond our expectations and very reasonably priced.

Then spent the rest of the day touring the city and walking the walls before returning to the ship.

A wonderful day and photos at:http://simon-pics.smugmug.com/Cruises/Century-Sept-2010/Dubrovnik-Croatia/15180327_bYxkF#1135500654_JabtU

Dubrovniktravelady - if you know the name of this restuarant I'd love to know it. I have another photo of it from up on the wall over the gate (Ploce gate?) looking down: click here.

You used the north exit from town which is called Buza gate, not to be confused with the Buza bars. By using Buza gate, one must walk up far too many steps to reach it, since it is on the mountain side of the old town. These are the directions on the cable car website, which I now are not the easiest way to find the entrance. There is a much easier way, by exiting the Ploce gate and walking a short uphill sidewalk.

As for the restaurant, I have no idea of the name. If you returned by the same route you may have ended up on the Prijeko, which is restaurant row. Far too expensive an area by local standards.

Hi! This is my first post,

I am going to be arriving via HAL Noordam on July 2. I am traveling with my husband and two sons 18 and 20. I was planning on cable car, old town and wall but have until about 5 pm so was wondering what else you would suggest. Someone told me about east west beach club?

Also do you know which dock we will arrive at and if taxis would be a problem?

Thanks so much