Stockholm? Warnemunde? Talin?

Karen Lynn

Karen

I see you are an experienced CC member. You know the routine here. Why don't you scroll down a few pages here, and you will find just a wealth of info on these ports, plus any other questions you may have. There are several great posters who live in these cities and will be able to answer any questions for you.

Most of us here, who have already done the Baltics, have done most of the ports on our own. They are very easy to do if everyone is mobile. Depending on what ship you are on, when you cruise, where your ship docks, your likes and dislikes. Read thru a few pages and see what's out there and then if you have specific questions, just ask away. We are all here to help.

Cheers

Len

Thank you...a few are planning on going to Berlin whilst others mentioned 2 other places a train away ..whose name escapes me. I'm all for so,etching not far away and easy going!

Berlin is a very popular destination, but it is 3 hours each way, no matter how you plan on doing it. The stop at Warnemunde is usually a long stop which gives anyone who wants to travel to Berlin, ample time to do so. There are many who simply do not want to make that trip, but everyone who HAS done it comes back with no regrets. They all simply love Berlin. As I have said many times, if you feel this may be your only chance to see and visit Berlin, go for it. or else you will go home and regret it later on.

Personally, I wouldn't attempt that on your own. There are just too many factors that can happen and maybe you miss the ship. If you are planning to use a private tour company in St Petersburg, most also do tours to Berlin and rest assured you will be back in plenty of time before the ship departs.

The other town, I would assume you are referring to, is Schwerin. It is a train ride away and there is a wonderful castle most people visit while there. A very nice way to spend the day at this port if you want to get out of Warnemunde or not go to Rostock.

Cheers

Len

In 2013 I used Alla Tours. We did their 5 ports package which included 2 day tour of St Petersburg and full day Berlin. Also did a folk show through them. All tours were very good, groups small, guides good. Check them out.

Syd

We also used Alla in St. Petersburg. It was a fabulous tour!

IMO Warnemunde is not that exciting for a whole day. We took the train to Schwerin - cute town, beautiful castle and cool arbor in the garden. We had time after we got back to walk along the waterfront in Warnemunde.

DIY walking/bar tour in Tallinn. This is a very walkable city. In Stockholm we used Alla again for another great tour. Our time in port was short. You can't see city hall without a tour, plus things are not so close together. With the tour we saw all the major site and still made it back in time to sail! Always a plus! With Alla, you get a nice discount for multiple tours.

Edited by diathoney

We also used Alla in St. Petersburg. It was a fabulous tour!

IMO Warnemunde is not that exciting for a whole day. We took the train to Schwerin - cute town, beautiful castle and cool arbor in the garden. We had time after we got back to walk along the waterfront in Warnemunde.

DIY walking/bar tour in Tallinn. This is a very walkable city. In Stockholm we used Alla again for another great tour. Our time in port was short. You can't see city hall without a tour, plus things are not so close together. With the tour we saw all the major site and still made it back in time to sail! Always a plus! With Alla, you get a nice discount for multiple tours.

You don't have to be with a private tour company to see the city hall in Stockholm. The city hall has their own guides for independent visitors.

Tours run frequently. We liked the city hall second after the Vasa.

Hi Karen,

We are touring with Heidi Leyton in Warnemunde to go to Berlin. I know you said you have a big group - not sure how big that means, but we are 8 adults.

We are doing Stockholm on our own (but we have 3 days there) and there is a free walking tour you can download that we are going to do in Tallinn.

If you find and are willing to post the way to get to Schwerin and the castle, it would be much appreciated. Will be solo and train on my own is fine, if that is feasible?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you find and are willing to post the way to get to Schwerin and the castle, it would be much appreciated. Will be solo and train on my own is fine, if that is feasible?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you read travelannis thread you will find lots of info on how to take the train to Schwerin:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1963750

Hi! I need some help. I’ve already been to Stockholm but haven’t seen too much of it. We traveled with a child of 3 and on that particular day couldn’t walk too much. Any way it will be my second time to this city. We decided to take a private guide for a 3 hour tour to see as much as possible. I found a local guide via Internet. When I asked about the price she said…. Guess how much ?… 60!!! EURO per hour! So 3 hour tour will be about 205 US $. Is it a normal price? I expected something like 30 $ per hour… may be 35 $ . In St. Petersburg we can book a 2 full day tour for much less than 300 US $ PP.

Shall I look for another guide or is it a normal price for Stockholm?

Thank you for your help.

Jess :)

Jess, do you really need a tour? Stockholm is very easy to do on your own.

I don't know about guide costs or guides in general so I cant answer that. question.

However Sweden and Stockholm is very expensive so I you should expect prices to be quite high.

You have lots of advice in this thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1017275

If you are on a cruise and really want a guided tour, the recommendation from other cruisers is to use the same tour company in several ports.

Edited by Desdichado62

If you do not want to do the long trip to Berlin, I recommend to visit the city of Rostock from Warnemunde. It is only a 20 minute trip by train (the station is a few steps from the cruise terminal, or you can go by boat), and you will see the very interesting and marvellous hanseatic city of Rostock.

Hi! I need some help. I’ve already been to Stockholm but haven’t seen too much of it. We traveled with a child of 3 and on that particular day couldn’t walk too much. Any way it will be my second time to this city. We decided to take a private guide for a 3 hour tour to see as much as possible. I found a local guide via Internet. When I asked about the price she said…. Guess how much ?… 60!!! EURO per hour! So 3 hour tour will be about 205 US $. Is it a normal price? I expected something like 30 $ per hour… may be 35 $ . In St. Petersburg we can book a 2 full day tour for much less than 300 US $ PP.

Shall I look for another guide or is it a normal price for Stockholm?

Thank you for your help.

Jess

I also do not know the tour rates in Stockholm but what you were quoted seems extremely high. You know that many of the tour companies from St Petersburg, also do tours in the other ports, like Stockholm. I don't know if you are touring with any of them if you are in St Petersburg, but even if you aren't, I'm sure you can book a tour of Stockholm thru them, or, at least, get an idea of what a tour would cost. Check companies like SPB Tours and see if they can help you.

Cheers

Len

Crazy Jess

Your post suggests you are visiting St Petersburg also. Check out Alla Tours

http://www.alla-tour.com/tours/

They also do tours in multiple cities around the Baltic. In 2013 we used them, did their 5 city package tour, all tours were good and service great, the Berlin tour was not strenuous, coach trip to Berlin informative and relaxed, divided into smaller groups on arrival in Berlin. Did not have to pay until day 2 or St Petersburg tour. Their 5 hour Stockholm tour was good, a walking tour of the old city and the tour included a visit to the Vasa museum. You will see that if you tour with them in St Petersburg tours in other cities are discounted.

Enjoy your trip

Syd

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all! Thank you very much for the ideas. Yes, I gave up the idea of a private guide for Stockholm. It’s too expensive. I’ve checked St. Petersburg companies and really all of them provide Stockholm. What a surprise! Any way I will either see it on my own or book a tour with the Best Guides. We booked St. Petersburg and Berlin with them. I just didn’t know they provide Stockholm as well. More over they give a package discount if you book more than one tour.

Once again - thank you all!

We were in Berlin for 5 days just a few years ago, so were looking for something else to do from the port of Warnemunde. We have signed up for a "Friends of Dave Tour" to Wismar and Schwerin Castle. They will be meeting the Viking Star on Sunday, August 2 at 9:15 a.m. He takes 20 - 25 people. Cost is approximately $153 per person and gives us a full day of touring including lunch. We'll be back at the ship by 7:15 p.m., way before the buses return from Berlin. More than the cost to go to Schwerin Castle on our own, but we thought the day with Dave sounded more relaxing. You can just Google "Friends of Dave" and Warnemunde for more info.

P.S. They seem to be having a problem with a few "fake" reviews on TripAdvisor but are recommended by Rick Steves and all other reviews are highly complimentary.