Post cruise stay in Winchester

We have three days between return from Baltics on Celebrity and set sail on Queen Mary 2 for New York, and are thinking that the most interesting nearby place to stay would be Winchester.

We are thinking of staying at Hotel du Vin. Anyone got any suggestions or better ideas?

We have three days between return from Baltics on Celebrity and set sail on Queen Mary 2 for New York, and are thinking that the most interesting nearby place to stay would be Winchester.

We are thinking of staying at Hotel du Vin. Anyone got any suggestions or better ideas?

The Winchester Hotel & Spa. IMO a better hotel, centrally situated with a short walk to the town centre, and you must take afternoon tea on the terrace. ;)

Both Hotel du Vin & Winchester Hotel are amongst the few hotels in the city centre, essential if you don't have a car.

That said, I'm not sure that Winchester itself is worth more than a fairly short day, so you might want to rent a car (in which case outside the city there's better hotels such Lainston House or better value such as Holiday Inn) or stick with a city hotel near the rail station.

JB :)

I have nothing against Winchester but I would choose Salisbury every time. The town is interesting enough for just a stroll around; the cathedral is one of the finest in Europe and if you want, a bust trip to Stonehenge is easy to do.

I suggest The Cricket Field House http://www.cricketfieldhouse.co.uk/ as a brilliant place to stay, within easy walking distance of the Town Centre and the Cathedral but with ducks and geese in the garden, it feels a lot more rural.

That's my threepennyworth :)