Favorite River Cruise Cities

vmarq

Just wondering what European cruise cities have been your favorites on any river cruises you have been on. Trying to decide what itinerary to do. Leaning towards either Danube or Rhine.

Thank you in advance.

Vicki

Just wondering what European cruise cities have been your favorites on any river cruises you have been on. Trying to decide what itinerary to do. Leaning towards either Danube or Rhine.

Thank you in advance.

Vicki

Hi Vicki: Danube is an excellent first choice for a river cruise Of course, I'm a little partial to it since it was our first one and now we're up to 7 and 8 this spring and summer! Our favorite Danube city is Budapest and you'll find a lot of people posting on cc feel the same way. There's just something about Budapest that grabs you forever....we've been back several times and still love it.

I'll follow the pattern (but not "follow suit") by praising our first river cruise: the Rhine. Start in Amsterdam, which is an easy connection from most of the US and has lots of interesting things to do. Cruise through 4 countries in 1 week without the hassle of "if it's Tuesday this must be Belgium" -- quickly see the differences in Dutch, German, French and Swiss culture. Every stop is interesting, all the cruising is scenic (especially the day with the Rhine Castles!), and in this direction (IMHO) it just keeps getting better as the cruise goes on. Be sure to take the ship's extension (or DIY) from Basel to Lucerne and Zurich. Even with some time in Amsterdam pre-cruise this all fits easily within 14 days.

I love many cities. Regardless of how you get there, Paris is my favorite. Other great cities available on riverboat cruises that I really like are Amsterdam, Bordeaux, Vienna, and Budapest. Prague is a great city available as an extension.

I love many cities. Regardless of how you get there, Paris is my favorite. Other great cities available on riverboat cruises that I really like are Amsterdam, Bordeaux, Vienna, and Budapest. Prague is a great city available as an extension.

So much to see.....it's an addiction....the more we see the more we want!!

My favorites are the small villages/towns listed below by the rivers they are on.

Rhine ... Koblenz

Moselle ... Bernkastel

Main ... Wertheim

Danube ... Regensburg

Rhone ... Vienne

Seine ... Vernon/Giverny

Elbe ... Wittenberg

These small villages very interesting and are easy to explore from the ship.

My favorites are the small villages/towns listed below by the rivers they are on.

Rhine ... Koblenz

Moselle ... Bernkastel

Main ... Wertheim

Danube ... Regensburg

Rhone ... Vienne

Seine ... Vernon/Giverny

Elbe ... Wittenberg

These small villages very interesting and are easy to explore from the ship.

I have to admit, Wertheim and Regensburg were two of my favorite ports on Castles on the Rhine. We were surprised to arrive in Regensburg to find the city in the midst of a Middle Ages Festival! Everyone was in costume, there were demonstrations and food...our TM didn't even know this was going on and we all just had a blast!!!