Thenford/Royston/beulah

margincall

We are considering the above 3 tours when we are in St Kitts.

the one question(which the various posts seem to confuse me but that is nothing new)is the type of vans that are being used.When we are in St Thomas we know we will be on an open air van,but we would rather an air conditioned van here.Do all 3 use them. I seem to have seen some reviews on some of them talk about open air

Thanks

We are considering the above 3 tours when we are in St Kitts.

the one question(which the various posts seem to confuse me but that is nothing new)is the type of vans that are being used.When we are in St Thomas we know we will be on an open air van,but we would rather an air conditioned van here.Do all 3 use them. I seem to have seen some reviews on some of them talk about open air

Thanks

We used Thenford Grey and he had an air conditioned van- we had a group of about 12, so it was like a small bus

Beulah is just a contractor not a tour operator. She uses local taxi drivers and sets up tours, the only one she does herself is some kind of lunch thing. We had a not so good experience with her arranging a tour to Nevis that almost got us stranded on Nevis. :mad: I don't recommend using her. You can find your own taxi driver and arrange for a tour by yourself. The government regulates the taxis and what they charge for tours.

We have toured twice with Thenford Grey and found his tour to be one of the best. He has a modern bus/van and gets you to all the highlights like Brimstone and Romney Manor.

Can't help with Royston.

We can also recommend My Island Tours with Javin for a more adventurous tour.

Beulah is just a contractor not a tour operator. She uses local taxi drivers and sets up tours, the only one she does herself is some kind of lunch thing. We had a not so good experience with her arranging a tour to Nevis that almost got us stranded on Nevis. :mad: I don't recommend using her. You can find your own taxi driver and arrange for a tour by yourself. The government regulates the taxis and what they charge for tours.

We have toured twice with Thenford Grey and found his tour to be one of the best. He has a modern bus/van and gets you to all the highlights like Brimstone and Romney Manor.

Can't help with Royston.

We can also recommend My Island Tours with Javin for a more adventurous tour.

I also can't recommend Beulah. I booked transportation with her when I was there in St. Kitts and it was not good. I was left at the ATV place for 45 mins before some one arrived to pick us up then at the port for another 20 minutes before we decided to take a taxi to the beach.

Royston's van was open air, not AC, when we toured with him.

Royston has more than one van. There are 2 with AC and one with open widows. Open air means the glass has been removed so lots of natural AC. We took this tour as it is the one that Royston himself drives. Lots of interesting sites and a wonderful day at an extremely reasonable price. Thoroughly enjoyed the Roti (read elsewhere others didn't).

Book the open air of you are the adventurous active sort.

Royston has more than one van. There are 2 with AC and one with open widows. Open air means the glass has been removed so lots of natural AC. We took this tour as it is the one that Royston himself drives. Lots of interesting sites and a wonderful day at an extremely reasonable price. Thoroughly enjoyed the Roti (read elsewhere others didn't).

I second this. My understanding is that Royston's cousin drives the other tour in a slightly larger, air-conditioned van. They both ended up at the same beach when we were there. My impression also is that the Royston tour is more adventurous (he did do some crazy driving), but the other one not quite as much. We really enjoyed ourselves and liked being able to take pictures and lean out of the windows during the tour. How else can the donkeys stick their heads in to eat the sugar cane? :D

I second this. My understanding is that Royston's cousin drives the other tour in a slightly larger, air-conditioned van. They both ended up at the same beach when we were there. My impression also is that the Royston tour is more adventurous (he did do some crazy driving), but the other one not quite as much. We really enjoyed ourselves and liked being able to take pictures and lean out of the windows during the tour. How else can the donkeys stick their heads in to eat the sugar cane? :D

We had Royston tour in December in that open window van and absolutely enjoyed! Highly recommend!

I was there on same day (and cruise) as monicajay. I booked later, and "had" to go with Royston's cousin, Ashton, even though as a photographer, I kind of wanted the van with no windows! Ashton's van was air conditioned, and he was a great guide. We thoroughly enjoyed our trip, although my husband got sick that night - maybe the roti, maybe not, will never know, but at least it tasted pretty good when we both ate them, and we are both fine now! The only part of the tour that was so-so was when we made a 45 min. (I think) stop at Friar's Beach. Not all Caribbean beaches are fabulous. This one was rocky - take water shoes if you have them! I went in for a while (and yes, there are rudimentary changing rooms and bathrooms there, plus a little bar) but then spent the rest of the time watching the vervet monkeys and the mongoose eating the food that had been put out for them near by.

Get Ashton to take your picture at Timothy Hill where the Atlantic meets the Caribbean Sea. He took a great picture of us!

Edited by roothy123

I was there on same day (and cruise) as monicajay. I booked later, and "had" to go with Royston's cousin, Ashton, even though as a photographer, I kind of wanted the van with no windows! Ashton's van was air conditioned, and he was a great guide. We thoroughly enjoyed our trip, although my husband got sick that night - maybe the roti, maybe not, will never know, but at least it tasted pretty good when we both ate them, and we are both fine now! The only part of the tour that was so-so was when we made a 45 min. (I think) stop at Friar's Beach. Not all Caribbean beaches are fabulous. This one was rocky - take water shoes if you have them! I went in for a while (and yes, there are rudimentary changing rooms and bathrooms there, plus a little bar) but then spent the rest of the time watching the vervet monkeys and the mongoose eating the food that had been put out for them near by.

Get Ashton to take your picture at Timothy Hill where the Atlantic meets the Caribbean Sea. He took a great picture of us!

I agree about the beaches--I don't think beaches are the best attraction on St. Kitts. We still enjoyed our beach stop, however, and what was best was having it nearly to ourselves. Our roti were okay (chicken or conch), but I've had better roti on Antigua (or was it Barbados?).