Thailand tours

montelco

Please be well informed about the tiger temples. I was debating it I wanted to go in 4/10, some people loved it, others hated it but these articles helped me decide NOT to go. first I read info on trip advisor which lead me to this from the goverment of UK. some people should be shot

http://www.kanchanaburi-info.com/en/saiyok.html#tiger

Please be well informed about the tiger temples. I was debating it I wanted to go in 4/10, some people loved it, others hated it but these articles helped me decide NOT to go. first I read info on trip advisor which lead me to this from the goverment of UK. some people should be shot

Sounds like another PETA whack group. IF it was so bad, Cleveland Armory's Fund for Animals or World Wildlife fund would be making a big stink. CWI is NOT a UK government funded entity. They depend on private donations and have nothing to do with the British government. Check out their website.

I would certainly rather see the tigers enjoyed by many than hunted/trapped as they are by poachers. You will NEVER stop the poaching and stripping tigers for their fur is BIG business. They don't eat tigers as a general rule.

I have to laugh-the report is complaining about feeding chickens to the tigers. My company hauls animal food for Ringling Brothers to certain cities when they tour the USA. And we also make arrangements for international shipments of animal food to support both white tiger shows and a couple of circuses. We ship mostly CAPONS, which are castrated roosters. And of course, horse meat. If it is good enough for Ringling Brothers heavily pampered animals, it should be good enough for most tigers.

Think what you want, but if it was not for zoos and places like Tiger Temple, there would be NO tigers in the world (and few gorillas, too).

People need to make their own decisions. These are the same people that believe animals should not be in zoos.

We went to San Diego and the zoo for the first time this past spring. Our primary interest is Reptiles and thought the outside exhibit with multiple different types of lizards was outstanding. These were small lizards in a huge open "enclosure" (no top). They didn't appear unhappy to me.

I'm sure people don't think we should have reptiles in our home either, but I'm sure they are happy roaming around our house. Iguana and Tortoises are eating gourmet salad on a daily basis with different fruits- kale, mango, carrot,strawberry, sweet potato, grapes and corn (tortoise only). I sure know they aren't mistreated.

We didn't go to the tiger temple but struggled with our decision to go to the Tiger Zoo as well as do the elephant rides.

I do think in the US or other western country some of these places would end up out of business because of protestors.

In the end we supported the local business. For better or worst I find all "tree hugging" protestors hypocrites in one way or another. To believe they live some pure life is a bit shallow and naive. :rolleyes: No question some organizations do exploit more then others but I didn't find anything too disturbing in my visit. Personally find the circus that makes the rounds in the US much more disturbing then anything I found in Thailand

Edited by chipmaster

For those of you who did the elephant rides, how were they? Scary?? ;) I hate heights, and I have booked an elephant ride. ...hmmm I think right now I would rather walk the elephant maybe. ha ha Did you feel safe up there?

I just saw someone on this board that said they didn't do the elephant ride because someone in Thailand had been trampled by an elephant shortly before their visit years ago. Obviously that is rare, but I wanted to see what you all thought of the elephant ride.

Half of me is dying to do it, and the other half wonders if I am nuts. :-) (oh.. and I know all about living life, taking risks, and experiencing things. so you don't have to tell me about that... obviously people aren't falling off elephants left and right over there.)

I just saw someone on this board that said they didn't do the elephant ride because someone in Thailand had been trampled by an elephant shortly before their visit years ago. Obviously that is rare, but I wanted to see what you all thought of the elephant ride.

/quote]

Yes, a young American working in Thailand was trampled to death by an elephant in 1991. I think she was with World Teach. Her husband saw it and I was in Thailand a month later and met someone (another American) whose job was to return with the husband to the US and make sure the body arrived. I heard she had blond hair but they had no idea what spooked this Elephant. This was really played down while I was there and I only heard about it from other Americans.

I have since ridden an Elephant in India 10 years ago. They walked right on the edge of a cliff. My point was that all of these are wild animals and elephants not necessarily safer than a tiger.

For those of you who did the elephant rides, how were they? Scary?? ;) I hate heights, and I have booked an elephant ride. ...hmmm I think right now I would rather walk the elephant maybe. ha ha Did you feel safe up there?

Coastaljen: Never been on an elephant ride before - I stayed on the ground but my kids were on an elephant ride either at Disney or Knott's Berry Farm. Admittedly I forgot whether they used African or Asian elephants but I suspect the latter.

With those CA attorneys with either company, I would suspect that they felt it was OK but as Jade13 points out, they are considered "wild" animals. I would imagine that you could also be unsafe on a horse.

Pretend that you are a child at Disneyland/Knott's Berry and ride the elephant!

People need to make their own decisions. These are the same people that believe animals should not be in zoos.

Personally find the circus that makes the rounds in the US much more disturbing then anything I found in Thailand

I agree everyone has their own opinion but I agree about the circus. Do you see the video where the people at R/B where hitting the elephants.

"If it is good enough for Ringling Brothers heavily pampered animals, it should be good enough for most tigers" I don't think most circus animals are pampered

"If it is good enough for Ringling Brothers heavily pampered animals, it should be good enough for most tigers" I don't think most circus animals are pampered

We were discussing FOOD for the animals, not their treatment. And again, another PETA whack job video. If PETA had their way, everyone would eat grass and veggies. There would be no zoos, circuses or animal encounters (look out Sting Ray City) There would be no chicken dinners, no filet mignon, no pork chops, not even fish. Look at the horrific situation caused in the Central Valley of California due to PETA and environmental types-500,000 acres in the heart of our nation's vegetable belt lying fallow and 40,000 people in agriculture out of work. And vegetable prices going through the roof. All to "save" a 2" fish which they have not found to be as "endangered" as first thought.

The DAMAGE PETA has done in Northern Missouri/Southern Iowa with their anti trapping/anti hunting campaigns has put some farmers out of business (their crops have been destroyed by over populated deer, Canadian geese and wild turkey populations) and killed a LOT MORE animals than hunting/trapping. The raccoons got a version of distemper and the deer got "blue tongue". The animals were dying HORRIBLE deaths. DH was shooting raccoons around our farm two years ago as fast as he could, so they didn't suffer. Mother Nature takes care of the OVERPOPULATION of animals by infusing HORRIBLE diseases. Hunters/trappers and Mother Nature work together to control the overpopulation. PETA wants it all to stop and just let the animals suffer via Mother Nature.

I hate PETA (and other such organizations) and what they have done to our country. Do some more research before you quote PETA as the arbitrauer of all things animal. The lawsuit against Ringling Brothers will soon be decided. And why do people think they can enforce "American" values in foreign countries? They eat DOGS in a lot of Asia. Don't hear much about that, do you????

I'm sorry to all the readers. I just wanted to make sure people saw all the information out there about different tourist attractions that are available. Some people may feel bad about endorsing something they don't believe in, others don't care. I wasn't trying to get into a heated debate about animal crulity on a cruise web site. Sorry again for trying to help make an informed decision. the greatam, you won't have to be rude on your posting anymore, I will not visit this site again.

Edited by cruisetimetd

Half of me is dying to do it, and the other half wonders if I am nuts. :-) (oh.. and I know all about living life, taking risks, and experiencing things. so you don't have to tell me about that... obviously people aren't falling off elephants left and right over there.)

We found the elephant ride very safe, provided you don't take one thru a river where the steep descent can make for fun or scare. I would say like riding a horse, but some more serious exagerated motion as you a just a bit higher :)

The two places we saw / did have stairs to platforms to allow you on so you really do no climbing but simple step out on a platform and climb on, YMMV.

2087985770_0165Shakingtrunkswithourride.jpg.a542d90482fc54220cf5bd34c01e5ef3.jpg

863105823_0170Gettingonourride.jpg.788142860a9a8ab0387962b973aa5af3.jpg

• 6 years later...

Hi coastaljen

Your posts have really inspired me!

I am a single lady (UK) early 60s with a bucket list wish to visit 'the railway' and museum and cemetery in kanchanburi as my father was a POW there working on the railway. I've sought out cruises that dock in Klong tuey and have two overnights so I have one complete day when I could leave the ship very early and return very late. I'm a little nervous about doing this alone and so am inspired to maybe try and pull together a small group tour. You seem to have lots of experience in this (both for kanchanburi and elsewhere). What was your experience of doing this like? Any danger of not getting back to ship? We're others interested in joining in? Any tips?

Cost not an issue as it's a 'must do' trip for me but some company on the trip and security that what I'm doing is safe and going to get me back to ship sometime that night ready for a departure the next lunchtime is paramount !

Any tips or encouragement from you or others most welcome!

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Forums