Docking at 7:30 am for only 5 hours - Help!

Scarlettptista

So we'll be in Key West 7:30 am -2:00 pm on a Friday. From what I've read there isn't much to do aside from breakfast until about 10 am, or later.

I am getting a little nervous about this itinerary since it seems we won't have much time at the port. Any suggestions for making the most of it?

So we'll be in Key West 7:30 am -2:00 pm on a Friday. From what I've read there isn't much to do aside from breakfast until about 10 am, or later.

I am getting a little nervous about this itinerary since it seems we won't have much time at the port. Any suggestions for making the most of it?

Key West is a neat place and I do agree that is a short amount of time. But just take your time getting off and about 8:30 or so the hop on/hop off trolleys will start running. What we did was ride the whole route (takes about an hr) then we stayed on and got off at the 3 or 4 places we really wanted to visit. Then walked around by the docks, which is one of the last drop offs for the trolley and strolled back to the ship.

I've only been twice (both times came in on a ship) but there is just something about Key West that makes me want to go back again and again......

Hi, We have only been there twice and it is really nice. Our last visit we put on our sneakers and started walking south toward the Atlantic Ocean. We were with the grand kids and thought it would be neat to walk from the Gulf of Mexico all the way to the Atlantic. It's really only a little over a mile. We walked straight down Duval St. At the end of Duval St is the Butterfly Conservatory. It opens at 9:00 and it cost 12$. What a neat place. Then a block up from this is the Southermost Point of the US, so stop for a pic. On our return walk back toward the ship we walked up Whitehead St. It's one block over from Duval. lighthouse and Hemingway's house is on this street so if you still have time you can stop.

Ps If I'm remembering right there was a nice bakery on Duval St where we got coffee and a Hugh chocolate chip cookie to sustain us on our walk. Have fun.

• 5 weeks later...

If you only have 5 hours, take the city trolley tour, it takes about 90 min, if you don't get off, but you should stop at Higgs beach and walk to the southernmost point..then hop back on and stop again at the conch republic seafood company. You will get a buy one get one drink coupon, it has a beautiful view of the harbor and the boats...short walk back to duval st. Get a conch fritter, and there you have it! I just did a blog post on our key west trip...take a look and you will see what we did!

http://karanandmichael.blogspot.com/

Have fun!

Edited by nursemom2

It's not a lot of time, but you will still have time to see the island. Take either the Old Town Trolley (http://www.trolleytours.com). If you don't get off it takes about 90 minutes, but it does stop and so if you want to visit the Hemingway House (great tour) or the KW Butterfly and Nature Conservatory (lots of fun) it will drop you within a block. The tour will also show you Old Town which is really fabulous with the old wooden houses and narrow streets. Trust me, you will want to come back for a longer visit!:)

• 1 month later...